Search for content in message boards

Info on Old House in Marshallville

Info on Old House in Marshallville

Evie Holmes (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2006 7:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
There is an old house located on Remington Road in Marshallville. Have heard it called the "Billy House" built in 1819. Would like more info or where I can go to find out more. The house has a plaque near the front doors marking it as a historical landmark. Yet I can't find anything about it. Help!

Re: Info on Old House in Marshallville

Davine V. Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2006 12:41PM GMT
Are you simply interested in the FELTON HOUSE, known as "The Billy Place" or are you interested in the house and family. There is actually more to be found on the family.
Do you have a copy of or access to, "History of Macon County, Georgia" by Louise Frederick Hays? Most liarger libraries have this book.
Found on page 111: In 1820, William, Shadrack r., John R., Samuel, and Noah Felton, wioth their sister, Jane Hare, came from Gates County, North Carolina. WILLIAM FELTON married two of JOHN RUSHIN'S daughters, first, MATILDA, and at her death, he married EVALINA. WILLIAM FELTON settled on the stage road from Lanier to Perry, about four miles west of Winchester. He built the beautiful home still standing on the "Billy Place". This house was a stage coach stop or Tavern. [Much more about the family] Other pages to check per the index:122. 125. 126. 153, 161.
Mrs. William Felton - Pg. 69.
Felton Bible - pg. 455 - Felton Family - 518 and many other references.
Copies of this book can be purchased from:
Macon County Chamber of Commerce - 109 North Dooly Street, Montezuma, Georgia 31063 for $50.00 plus $5.00 S & H.

Posted: 13 Sep 2006 12:56PM GMT
The "Billy Place" house is on the National Historic Register. Architectural Description and Present Conditon'[At the time of registry, November 25, 1980]
Plantation plain style house with two story Greek Revival portico. Original siding. Brick Chimneys. Four rooms on each floor with central hall. 11' ceilings. Joists are 12" to 14" thick and are pegged together. Near the main house are two barns, both over 75 years old, and an implement shed. There are two more large barns and 3 smaller sheds on the farm, which is still in use. Excellent condition:
Currently [1980] Residence for farm superintendent.
Six generations of Feltons have owned the "Billy Place".
The Billy Place is one of the earliest remaining buildings in the Marshallville vicinity. William Felton's cotton production in the area encouraged new settlement plus helped establish the region's agricultural system. Architecturally, the Billy Place is a good example of 1830's vernacular architecture as built through this part of Georgia. Felton's donation of the right-of-way for the railroad helped establish Marshallville as the community center for this region.
Prepared by: Gladys A. Walker [now deceased]

Evie Holmes (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2006 7:58PM GMT
Just want to thank you for all the info on the Billy Felton Place. Your info has helped a lot. I have been interested in the house for some time and it's history. I've also wanted to know more about the Felton family so your sharing was wonderful!! Thank you! I will get a copy of the book you mentioned. Much appreciated! If you know of anything else in the future about the home or the family--please contact me! Oh, one question....the family cemetary was on the home place and was moved. Do you know where on the family home the cemetary was located? Thanks so much!!

Posted: 14 Sep 2006 9:03PM GMT
The Family Cemetery was almost directly across the dirt road in front of the house. If you would care to talk to the man who helped move it, let me know. He lives in Marshallville. He also lived in the house when he was the overseer for Mr. Felton Hatcher.
If you come to Marshallville often, you might want to go by and talk with him.
There is a FELTON FAMILY book in the Marshallville Library, or at least there was one. I copied it and do have it at my house. Let me know when you are coming back to Marshallville, I would love to meet you and share what material that I have.

Evie Holmes (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2006 8:18PM GMT
Thanks for the info! I would love to meet with you soon and find out more about the house and the Felton family. I should be in Marshallville in late Oct or Nov. It is interesting to learn that the family cemetary was located across the road from the house. I am very good friends with the family that lives across the road from the house. I would like to contact you again when I head towards Marshallville. Will this be okay? Again, thanks so much for the info---I would like to know as much as I can about the house and the family.

Posted: 21 Sep 2006 1:00PM GMT
Contact me before coming to Marshallville, it would be my pleasure to meet with you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic