Search for content in message boards

Burt/Burk/Burke Family of Talladega

Burt/Burk/Burke Family of Talladega

Posted: 8 May 2004 3:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Todd, Hancock, Hughes, Mabry, Bellamy, Townsend, Lewis
Looking for information about the descendants of George W. Burt (b. 1867) and Mary Alice V. Hancock Burt (b. 1878 in Tallapoosa County; parents: Henry Hancock and Mary Dunn). They had several children: Beatrice Brysilla (1897); Ned S. (1899); George V. (1905); Ruth B. (1907); Helena G. (1909); Paul (1912); and Vachael (1915). George and Mary Alice appear to have died around 1915 in Talladega. The children were divided up among Mary Alice's relatives in Talladega and Birmingham, according to the 1920 census. They disappeared after that.

Re: Burt/Burk/Burke Family of Talladega

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 7:01PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2006 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: CAFFEE, BURT, VARNER, PRICE, HEWETT, CAMPBELL, WILSON, STEWART
Hello

Are your Burts of the same line that show up in Coosa County? My research is, initially of the VARNERS, CAFFEE families of Coosa County and PRICE family of Tallapoosa County. According to the 1910 census, it shows that my great-aunt Amanda Caffee married a Charlie Burt and lived in Travelers Rest, AL. Her mother, Ellen Burt b. about 1850 lived in the home with them and their 9 children. There's a listing for Jesse and Julian Burt listed in the 1920 census for Jefferson County, AL. Also, my research has turned up another marriage between the Caffee's and the Burt's families. My great uncle James Caffee married Alice Burt (not sure of the date yet) but the 1900 census shows that Alice's mother, Rachel b. 1826 lived in the home with them. Let me know if any of this helps you.

Anita Hewett-Williams

Stephen Townsend (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2004 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Burt/Burke; Hancock; Hughes
Dear Anita:

Thanks for the reply. I have no additional information about the family of George Washington Burt/Burke. The earliest record I have of him is the 1900 Census for Tallapoosa County, Alabama. There, he is listed as the husband of my great-grandfather's sister, Alice Hancock. They had two children at that time.

In 1910, the family is also listed in Tallapoosa County. By 1920, it appears that both George and Alice were died, and their children scattered among other relatives. I have a death certificate for Alice, but none for George.

After 1920, the Burt/Burke children disappear. One sister, Brazilla, died right after the census was taken. But I have no information about the others.

I have been unable to find any families in the 1880 Census with a George or George Washington Burt/Burke that matches the descriptors of the one that married into my family.

So I am stuck at a crossroads right now. If you have seen the name George or George Washington in your family tree, I would appreciate knowing it. Perhaps there could be a connection.

Thanks!

Steve

Posted: 13 Dec 2004 6:52PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2006 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: PRICE, CAFFEE, BURT, WILSON, PERRY, HEWETT, VARNER
Hi Stephen:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but with this season it's been crazily busy. Plus I had a deadline to meet for a writing project that I'm working on.

Have you tried looking up the George Burt/Burk on the Mormon's site? Sometimes you can get lucky and they'll have marriage and/or death dates. I've found several family members there and I've been able to connect several marriage/death dates using that site. I have, however, seen a George Washington Burt there. Check it out and see if the information is of use to you. Please keep me informed as our Burts may link up somewhere.

Now about the Burts in question. Since our last communication, I've found out that the Burt I was looking for (Charlie Burt from Travelers Rest) was married to my great grandmother's sister (Amanda/Mandie). They had 8 sons, one of which is named George W., but being that he (George) was born in 1907, I don't think he's not the one you're looking for.

Good luck on your journey
Anita
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions