Search for content in message boards

1870 Census Map, 2nd Enumeration, Manhattan

1870 Census Map, 2nd Enumeration, Manhattan

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 1:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
There were two enumerations of Manhattan, then "New York City" in 1870. The second enumeration in late fall of 1870 included street names and addresses. The problem has been that the definitions changed for Wards/Election Districts between the first and second enumerations, and apparently there was no resource material online to figure out from an address what Ward/Election District an address was in.

The NY Public Library had a Ward/Election District map for the 2nd enumeration of 1870 for public view, and I had a volunteer photograph it today. Then I started searching for 1870 NYC maps, and amazingly, found the same map online.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/1870_Hard...
or http://tinyurl.com/bmqokp3

The main (bottom) map is what we want. The large red numbers appear to be the Ward numbers. Within each ward the blocks that make up an Election District are color coded and one block has the district number in small black type.

Joel Weintraub
Dana Point, CA

Re: 1870 Census Map, 2nd Enumeration, Manhattan

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 6:05AM GMT
Joel,
Great find.

I spot checked most of the map's wards and districts against the ward and district boundaries printed in the NY Evening Express and they are in 100% agreement.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 12:37AM GMT
Joel,

Thanks very much for the map. I am still missing someone from the 1870 2nd enumeration so maybe this will help me track her down.

Margaret

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 10:10AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2013 9:57AM GMT
Does the map in Nov 1870 correspond - in anyway - to the June 1870 Census?

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 12:02PM GMT
Yes, the ward boundaries are unchanged, but the EDs within those wards have all been changed from those of the first enumeration. What, exactly, are you trying to determine?

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 5:41PM GMT
Thank you very much for posting this very helpful info. I meant to thank you when you first posted it but it was the day after Christmas and I was away and using someone else's computer so had limited time. It was in response to your help on another thread at the time. So please accept this belated thanks.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 9:53AM GMT
Surnames: Nieto
Hi Bob,
I'm trying to determine the location of the 21st ED of the 19th Ward in June 1870. It looks like Madison and 51st on the Nov 1870 map.
Thanks for the help
Scott

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 1:11PM GMT
The Twenty-first election District of the Nineteenth Ward shall contain all that part of the City bounded by and lying within Seventieth Street, Third Avenue, Seventy fifth Street and Fifth Avenue.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 3:49PM GMT
That is the description from a document?

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 4:08PM GMT
yes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic