Search for content in message boards

Katherine Freitag-Germany-Baltimore-Chicago-Wisconsin

Katherine Freitag-Germany-Baltimore-Chicago-Wisconsin

Jeanette (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2006 2:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Freitag, Piper, Peters
I am trying to find some of my Freitag family. Here is what I know so far: Katherine Freitag is the second wife of Mr. Freitag. I believe her husband may have been either Philip or Henry Frietag. Henry and Philip were brothers who worked as cigar manufactures in Baltimore in the 1880s. I do not know the first wife's name, but they had at least 3 children: Clara, Albert and William. Katherine (the second wife) also had 3 children: Anna Dorothea, Josephine and Edgar. Anna married Harry Piper of Walworth Wis., and Josephine married Ezra Peters also of Walworth. Katherine lived with Anna in Wis. until her death in 1934. Katherine and all 6 children were in Chicago, 3 of them employed with a cigar factory in the 1920 census. I don't know where the children went or who the girls married. I would also very much like to identify Mr. Freitag and his first wife. If any of this sounds familer to anyone I would appreciate any info and help. Thanks.

Re: Katherine Freitag-Germany-Baltimore-Chicago-Wisconsin

Don Timmons (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2006 6:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Freitag
My wife's grandfather, Theodore Jacob Freitag, came from Bavaria to Baltimore around 1870 and married Dorothea Ziemer. Her family lived on Lee Street, Baltimore and that is where Theodore and Dorothea settled, although they subsequently moved about six times in the downtown area of Baltimore. He was a tailor.
There was also a man named William Freitag, a tailor, who lived on the same street and is listed on the 1860 census. I do not know if he was related to Theodore but I strongly believe it to be so. William had a wife named Christina and three children. They do not appear on any subsequent Baltimore census so they must have moved west.
Theodore and Dorothea had six children, viz., Kate, Emma. Anna Mamie, William (died as infant), Charles, and my wife's father, William Frederick.
There was also anotlher Freitag family in Baltimore around the same time many of whom are buried in the Louden Park Cemetery, Baltimore. Also, some of them moved to Wisconsin. From the cemetery records I have names Carl, Charles, Katherine, Martha. Charles and Martha appear to be the parents. He born 1876 and died 1930. She born 1878 and died 1926. In 1954 a Miss Elsie M. Freitag contacted the cemetery saying "My parents passed away more tha 24 years and my brother, Wm. H. Freitag, also deceased, ...". None of the above may be important to you but, you never know. Many Germans, landing in Baltimore during the late 1800s,
eventually travelled west to Frederick, MD and beyond to Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Don Timmons
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions