Search for content in message boards

Zoë Lafontaine m Sir Wilfrid Laurier

Zoë Lafontaine m Sir Wilfrid Laurier

Posted: 17 Dec 2001 12:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:07PM GMT
Surnames: Lafontaine, Laurier, Lavigne, Tessier dit lavigne
Does anyone have any information on the parents of Zoë Lafontaine who married Sir Wilfrid Laurier [the guy on the Canadian $5.00 bill], Prime Minister of Canada? Zoë married Sir W. at Marie-Reine-du Monde, Montréal on 1868-08-13. Her parents are listed as Godefroy-Napolèon Lafontaine and Zoë Lavigne. I have so far been unable to find their marriage. It is possible that she was a Tessier dit Lavigne. Thanks.

Godefroy-Napoleon Robert dit Lafontaine m. Zoe Tessier dit Lavigne

Posted: 21 Feb 2002 1:10AM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: Robert dit Lafontaine, Tessier dit Lavigne, Lafontaine
Godefroy-Napoléon ROBERT-dit Lafontaine, son of Pierre Robert dit Lafontaine and julie Proulx), married in Notre-Dame, Montréal on September 25, 1838, Zoé Tessier dit Lavigne, daughter of François and Marguerite Brignon dit Lapierre.

NOTE: there is about 40 differents Lafontaine families. a nice puzzle

Daniel Fontaine

Re: Godefroy-Napoleon Robert dit Lafontaine m. Zoe Tessier dit Lavigne

Thomas Fowler (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2002 1:21AM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Lafontaine
Dear Daniel: Thanks to several people such as yourself I have most of Zoë Lafontaine's ancestry traced. Let me know , if you want more information. Thanks again and cheers, Thom.

Re: Zoë Lafontaine m Sir Wilfrid Laurier

Michelle Arnaud (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2002 7:33AM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:11PM GMT
Surnames: Laurier, Lavine, Lafontaine, Garneau
I was searching on info about Sir Wilfred Laurier and I came across this. My great-great-great-great grandmother or possibly her sister was married to Wilfred Laurier. What I don't know was Laurier married twice? Reason I ask is because we've researched our family tree and I can't find Lavine or Lafontaine's in my family tree. It's not researched 100% but I'm hoping someone can help me. I know that one of my relatives did marry him. And if he was only married once, then Zoë was my great-great-great-great grandmothers sister, because he married a Garneau. So what I'm told. Can some one possibly help me out. I'm in a huge bind.. Thanks so much!

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 5:10PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:12PM GMT
Surnames: Lafontaine, Tucker, Sculby, Setuley
Dear Michelle: As far as I know Sir Wilfrid only married once in 1868 to Zoë Lafontaine; he died in Ottawa in 1919 and she lived on until 1921. Zoë's father, Godefroy-Napoleon, was married twice and had a second family. The 1880 U.S. census shows him living in Lewiston, Maine with his wife Ann S., a daughter Georgia, and a son Godfrey. Someone sent me a copy of an obituary [LWJ 1906-02-06] for Ann [d.1906-02-30] which lists her children by Godefroy-Napoleon as "Charles of Lisbon [Maine], John of Canada, and Mrs. George Tucker of Montreal". I have yet to find the marriage of Godefroy-Napoleon and Ann. Other information which I have suggests that Ann's surname may have been Sculby or Setuley and that she was born in Ireland and came to Canada via England. The son Charles was born 1850-02-17 in Canada. I have never seen the name "Garneau" in connexion with Sir Wilfrid and Lady Laurier. Nor do I know if Lady Laurier had any full-siblings. If I get any more information. I shall send it along. Cheers, Thom in Toronto

Posted: 1 Apr 2002 5:19PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: Laurier, Lafontaine
Hi Again: I forgot to add in my first message that Sir Wilfrid and Lady Laurier had no children. Therefore, you cannot be directly descended from them. I also know of no previous marriage by Sir Wilfrid before he married Lady Laurier; and the published marriage register of Marie-Reine-du-Monde in Montreal where Sir Wilfrid was married to Lady Zoë gives no indication that he was a widower. T.

Posted: 3 Apr 2002 3:09AM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:14PM GMT
I found out how I'm related to him. My mom made it more clearer yesterday... His mother is my great-great-great-great grandmother..

Posted: 3 Apr 2002 3:47PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: Laurier, Garneau
Dear Michelle: That is intriguing. I didn't know Sir Wilfrid had any siblings. Did his mother marry twice? I read she died young and that Sir Wilfrid's father re-married and that the step-mother raised Sir Wilfrid. Is it she you are descended from? Can you give me the names of your gggg-grandmother and her husband? Where does the name Garneau fit in? Thanks, Thom

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 6:14AM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: Morriseau
Okay here it is.. My mother confused me..

Here we go..

My gggg-grandmothers sister who was a Morriseau married his father, which makes Laurier a cousin/uncle..

There.. Now i've got it all cleared up.. As for her name I don't know, were still reseraching that part of the family tree.

I don't know if she died, then his father re-married or if she's the stepmother...

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2003 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: Laurier
Hi Michelle: Thanks for the info. I will keep looking for Carolus Lauriers' second marriage and children too! If I find out anything I will let you know. Cheers,
Thom
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions