Search for content in message boards

Van Der Bilt

Van Der Bilt

Bill Van Cleave (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2001 12:28PM GMT
The question I have is if there is any connection between Van der Bilt and the Vanderbilt family. My ancestor Isabrandt Van Cleef, born c 1677 in Kings County NY, second surviving son of Jan Van Cleef and Engeltje Louwerens, married Janetje, daughter of Aert Jans Van der Bilt and Hillegonde Van der Beek. Is there anyone sharing this lineage in the Vanderbilt family? Thanks Bill Van Cleave

Re: Van Der Bilt

Posted: 27 Jun 2001 3:44PM GMT
Yes, there is a direct connection. The founder of the family was Jan Aertsen van der Bilt (c.1620/25-1705). His son Aris Janse van der Bilt (1653-1716) and wife Hillitje van der Beeck had, among other children, your ancestor Jannetje Aertse van der bilt who married Isbrant van Cleef; Hendrick Aertse van der Bilt who married Neeltje van Cleef; and Jacob van der Bilt (1692-1760) married Neeltje Denyse. Their son Jacob van der Bilt (1723-1768) married Mary Sprague and begat Cornelius van der Bilt (1764-1832). Their son Cornelius Vanderbilt (1792-1877) was the famous Commodore, and my connection is through his grandson Cornelius II's wife Alice Claypoole Gwynne. Al of this and more is detailed in COMMODORE VANDERBILT AND HIS FAMILY available from its author Dorothy Kelly MacDowell of 1500 Fifth Ave. West, Henderson NC 28739. I'm not sure of the price -- perhaps $25 -- but there is much interesting information on your Vanderbilt cousins.

Posted: 10 Sep 2001 12:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Dec 2003 2:34PM GMT
Hi,

I justed wanted to add one thing to your information: Cornelius van der Bilt (1764-1832) married Phebe Hand daughter of Samuel Hand.

My relations are the Hands for whom I am doing some Hand/Vanderbilt research. My g-aunt Bess (Berkowitz) married Wilfred C Hand son of George Hand and nephew to Justice Learned Hand.

There seem to be several marriages between Hands and Vanderbilts. I had heard that the Commodore's second wife, Frankie Crawford, was a Hand somewhere too. I know his first wife, Sophia Johnson's mother was Elizabeth Hand and her grandmother I thnk was a Vanderbilt.

I have a friend who is a Wyckoff and there seem to be many marriages betwenn those 2 families too.

It is quiet intereseting actually. So you have any HAND information?

Thanks,

Blaine Berkowitz
Maitland, FL

Barbara Heine (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2003 2:23PM GMT
Surnames: Blauvelt, DeClerk, Gurnee, Smith, Vanderbilt, Wheeler
I have all of the above - Vanderbilt's, Van Cleef's and a few Hands. Isbrandt Van Cleef is my 1st cousin 8 times removed. His wife, Jannetje Vanderbilt, is the same. I am the 8th grandaughter of Jan Aertsen Vanderbilt.

Posted: 2 Jan 2004 1:43AM GMT
Hi,

I am just starting the family tree thing, and my great grandmother's name was Alice Catherine Gwynne Gillelen. She was born about Sept. 8th 1884 or maybe 1891? and was born in Iowa. She died in Los Angeles in 1948. She was married to Frank Gillelen and they had 3 children, Frank Jr., Richard and Marjorie. According to some paperwork, her mother's maiden name may have been Smith and she was possibly born in NY. Family lore has it that Alice was sent to Europe by the Vanderbilts.....I can't find her on any listing...Can you help?

Thank you.

Stacey Haggerty

Posted: 2 Jan 2004 2:58AM GMT
Alice Claypoole Gwynne (Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt II) had two brothers, David Gwynne (1848-?) and Abram Evan Gwynne, Jr. (1847-1905). It's possible that one was the father of your Alice Catherine Gwynne. These Gwynnes seem to divide their time between New York City and Cincinnati, Ohio, and I don't off-hand know of an Iowa connection. Good luck!

Posted: 28 Feb 2004 2:16PM GMT
Hi again,

Doing more research, and came up with the name I have been looking for....Joel B. Gwynne m. Catherine Smith

I am still looking for the connection w/ the Vanderbilts....Do you know if Alice Claypoole also had a brother Joel? I am kind of at a dead end again!

Thank you....

Stacey Haggerty

Re: Van Der Bilt/Gwynne connection

Peter Flagg Maxson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Feb 2004 1:48PM GMT
Alas, no Joel B.! Aunt Rachel Moore Flagg married 1840 Abram (or Abraham) Evan Gwynne of Cincinnati, and they were parents of Alice Claypoole Gwynne (1846-1934) m. Cornelius Vanderbilt II, Abram Evan Gwynne (1847-1905), David Gwynne (1848-?), Edith Olivia Gwynne (1850-?) and Rachel Moore Gwynne (1852-?) m. Wm. E. Shepherd. According to Alice's granddaughter Countess Sylvia Szechenyi Szapary, of the Gwynne children only Alice and Rachel married. I do have another source at my office that might indicate more distant Gwynnes, and I'll check that for you. Good luck!

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 12:17AM GMT
I sure hope you are checking out info. I am a relative of the Van Cleef's, Vanderbilts. I have the tree back to well a long way I also have the linage of Isbrandt Van Cleef's son Aaron Van Cleave Capt, wife Rachel Schenck,

T Gwynne (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2006 1:43PM GMT
Dear Sir.
My Gwynne family are connected to Alice Claypoole Gwynne ,

T.Gwynne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic