Search for content in message boards

MacLennan Cemetary

MacLennan Cemetary

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 3:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking the location of the 'old' MacLennan cemetary. My Great-Great Uncle Malcolm "Herbert" MacIver was buried there in 1911. My Great Great Grandfather is buried in the Desbarats cemetary, which is the one that is used today. Would anyone know if the 'old' MacLennan cemetary still exists? And if so, how I can find it?

Re: MacLennan Cemetary

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 7:34PM GMT
You are looking for Stickney Cemetery, Tarbutt Twp. which hasn't been used for many years. Transcribing was done in 1971 by members of the Tweedsmuir Historical Society. I do not see a Malcolm "Herbert" MacLver on my list. For years this cemetery was neglected, graves sunk, fences fell down etc.
Desbarats Cemetery has three MacIver's, Finlay A.(s/o A. & I.) Angus D., Isobel and Muriel (w/o Finlay) This cemetery is being used now.

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 9:02PM GMT
Hi there,

I have been to the Desbarats cemetary, and indeed it is the burial place of Angus, Isabel & Findlay.

Is there a third cemetary outside of the "Stickney Cemetary"?

Could you possibly give me directions to the Stickney Cemetary? It may be easier to find the information I'm looking for at this time of year as the brush and grass will be knocked down.

Thanks!

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 9:02PM GMT
Hi there,

I have been to the Desbarats cemetary, and indeed it is the burial place of Angus, Isabel & Findlay.

Is there a third cemetary outside of the "Stickney Cemetary"?

Could you possibly give me directions to the Stickney Cemetary? It may be easier to find the information I'm looking for at this time of year as the brush and grass will be knocked down.

Thanks!

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 9:39PM GMT
Stickney is in a field off the Barr Rd. north, about 1.4 km probably now owned by the Old Mennonite Older. I think they requested from council to extend & use it. It is among trees before you get to the interection. About what year did Malcolm pass away, or no stone erected for him. I see the cemetery was closed after 1916 and a new cemetery erected at Port Finlay on the Port Finlay Rd. No stone for him there for him by 1986 either.

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 10:16PM GMT
Here's the information I have:

"In the summer of 1911, he took work in a quarry on an island near Kensington Point. On July 11th of that year, while crossing in a canoe to mainland, he was drowned at the age of 19 years. He is buried in an old cemetery near MacLennan, which was the one being used at that time."

So he passed away July 11th, 1911.

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 12:27AM GMT
Yes, I see that on Anc. Probably no stone for him.

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 2:02AM GMT
Hello. I am a grandson of Isabella (Belle) MacIver's sister Jean (Jennie) Shackleton. I used to live within a half mile of the Stickney Cemetery where Herb MacIver is buried. I understand his paternal grandfather, Malcolm MacIver is buried in this cemetery as well. I figure, as well as others in the Cameron family, that they are probably buried in the same plot as Chrissie (MacIver) Smith, although there is no proof. I do have a complete list of those who bought plots in the Stickney Cemetery and there is no mention of any MacIvers which makes me think the MacIver's are buried in the Smith plot. I hope this helps!

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 1:50AM GMT
Would make sense considering I believe that they would have all passed away at relatively close times. Though I have no record, I have seen censuses that have Malcolm living at 1891 where he would have been roughly 80, so I assume that he died between 1891-1895. Chrissie died in 1907, and Herb died in 1911. So they are all relatively within a close time frame. Being a poor family, it's likely they would have not been able to afford a stone for the father or boy. A shame, really. Wish there could be a way to pinpoint exactly, but records on the matter would be awful limited. Thanks for the info!

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 8:21PM GMT
dshackle37:

I just found something you might find very interesting! I've come across a picture of a purchase on this site on the page of a distant cousin. It's an agreement between Angus MacIver and a D. McDonald on July 29th, 1911 for the purchase in full for Lot. 64 in Tarbutt Cemetery for the price of $3.00. Do you know where I could find the lot lay-outs for this plot? I may just be able to pinpoint exactly where Herb is buried! I'm not a paying member on this site anymore, so if you're interested please email me: macmanca@hotmail.com and I will forward you the image!

Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions