Search for content in message boards

JOAB (JOE O) AND LAURA CHRISTINE SCARBOROUGH COPELAND

JOAB (JOE O) AND LAURA CHRISTINE SCARBOROUGH COPELAND

Wanda Copeland Anderson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: COPELAND, SCARBOROUGH
JOAB COPELAND was born in Perry County, Tennessee near Hurricane Creek February 16, in 1847. He was the son of JAMES COPELAND AND STACY (ANASTASIA) WEBB COPELAND. When he was about 4, in 1851, his family migrated to Washington County, Texas and later settled in Falls County near the Brazos River. JAMES AND STACY COPELAND had several children that came with the family from Tennessee and it is possible some of their descendants are still in the Central Texas area.

According to Falls County Records Vol. I, 1870, he first married NANCY J. BURNEY on February 2, 1870. She died in childbirth.

JOE O. married LAURA CHRISTINE SCARBOROUGH January 11, 1872 in Falls County, Texas. JOE O. and LAURA had 12 children ; Seth , Cary, Fountain, Infant son b. August 16, 1878 d. August 27, 1878, buried in Jena Cemetery, Florence b. April 1882, James b. March 1884, Edna b. October 1886, Homa b. May 6, 1898 d. February 14, 1900, buried in Jena Cemetery, Joe Hal b. February 10, 1889 , Laura Christine b. January 1891, Powell b. May 1883, and Floyd Ray.

LAURA CHRISTINE was born in Drew County, Arkansas May 2, 1854. Her family is listed in the 1850 census of Drew County, Arkansas her father, OLIVER J. SCARBOROUGH b. 10/4/1826 in Alabama and d. 8/21/1862, Drew County, Arkansas. Her mother was REBECCA HOMES BULL b. 6/18/1826, Pike County, Georgia and d. 12/10/1905 in Falls County, Texas. It was after the death of her husband that REBECCA BULL SCARBOROUGH moved her children to Texas. There she met and married a Mr. MEEKS, they had no children.

LAURA lived until September 25, 1953 and is buried in Crossroads Cemetery near Pittsburgh, Texas. She had lived there with her daughter EDNA and JIM MARTIN for many years. LAURA had reached the age of 99 years of age when she passed away.

JOE O. COPELAND served as a private in Company F, 14th Regiment, Texas Infantry, CSA. His name appears on the regiment roles for the month of April 1864, which shows him sick and left near Rake Pocket on March 20, 1865. No record of enlistment or later service has been found to date.

In September 1887, JOE O. COPELAND was a private in CAPTAIN WILLIAM SCOTT's Company F of the Frontier Battalion. This battalion was part of the Texas Rangers and originally was organized to fight Indians. Later these units were to maintain law and order and in 1901 the Frontier Battalion was organized by the Texas Legislature as the Texas Ranger Force.

By trade JOE O. was a cotton ginner and carpenter. He built a boarding/rooming house in Temple, Texas , across the street from Kings Daughter Hospital , that he and LAURA owned and operated. This house is still standing and is located at 303 South 22nd Street in Temple.

JOE O. was a Mason, member of the E. M. Wilder Lodge in Temple, Texas. He was initiated on November 15, 1872, passed on February 20, 1874, and raised on March 28, 1874.

The date of his death is April 15, 1915. He is buried in Jena Cemetery in Falls County, Texas with his two infant children.

COPELAND

Vi Waldie (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: COPELAND
Our COPELAND is from this area we had a James COPELAND b. 1791, listed in our Copeland book and numerous Jo-Josiah-Joseph. Bell County, Fall county ,Williamson and McClendon County. Is the area they ended up in Texas.I think half of our COPELANDS are named the same through out the years.

SCARBOROUGH

JO MCKENZIE (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: SCARBOROUGH
REBECCA HOMES BULL SCARBOROUGH MEEKS IS BURIED IN POWERS CHAPEL CEMETERY, ROSEBUD, FALLS COUNTY, TEXAS.

SCARBOROUGH AND NORRIS

JO MCKENZIE (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: SCARBOROUGH, NORRIS
My e-mail address has changed to bmckenzie@interconnect.net.
So, if you have any information on Scarboroughs or Norris' in or around Bell County, please let me hear from you.

Re: SCARBOROUGH AND NORRIS

Posted: 14 Nov 2001 4:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Sep 2002 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: NORRIS AND SCARBOROUGH
Please note that I have a new e-mail address:
jomac13@swbell.net
I am still looking for information of the Norris and Scarborough families.

Re: COPELAND

Posted: 14 Oct 2004 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Oct 2004 3:25AM GMT
I believe you're right! My great grandfather was Josiah Fletcher Copeland b. 1855 in Liberty Hill, Williamson Co., TX.
I have been trying to track down his children and have managed all but two, Frankand Richard Henry. Frank was b. 1891 and married Lula Edith Morgan; Henry was b.1886 and married Bessie Field Boyd. Sure would love to connect with some of their families.
Peggy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic