Search for content in message boards

Looking for Georgetown Pereira/Young

Looking for Georgetown Pereira/Young

Posted: 5 Jun 2007 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pereira/Young
I am looking to find long lost relatives of ours. My mother was born in Georgetown. Her father Cecil Pereira owned Brown Betty Dairy. He died in Guyana. I do not know much of his family. His wife Margaret (Young)Periera lived to be 101. She had 7 brothers whom six I don't know what happened to. My mother's brother passed away, and sister lives in Trinidad. But I know I have other family out there who I would love to meet. If anyone has any information please contact me.
Thank you. Melissa

Re: Looking for Georgetown Pereira/Young

Posted: 4 Jan 2008 10:38PM GMT
My mom told me that her grandmother was a Pereria her given name was Helena or Elena she married a Toovey. I have tried asking my cousins and they told me when they were growing up they couldn't ask the questions we can ask today. She was living in Plaisance. She or her parents were from Progual [I hope I spell it right]

Hoping we can help each other

Posted: 9 Feb 2008 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Young
Hi,

my Aunt is married to a Young and I know he has many siblings. May you can tell me a bit more so I can ask them about whether they are related to Margaret.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 5:45PM GMT
Dear Melissa,

I am the great grandson of John Young, born 1859 in Greenock, Scotland. His brother, David Young, born 1857 emigrated to British Guiana in the 1880s.

My grandmother Dora Young (nee Paterson) (1890 -1989)kept in touch with the family in British Guiana/ Guyana for some years, but subsequently all information has been lost.

My aunt (Clarice Young) recalls a Margaret Young visiting her family in Newcastle UK, possibly in the 1920s or 1930s. My aunt recalls Margaret as being very attractive and a good tennis player. Was this your grandmother?

Was your grandmother the sister of Matthew French Young and daughter of David Young? Matthew's sister Margaret married Cecil Pereira.

Do you have any information about David Young? I believe he died in Georgetown in 1911 and prior to that had a rubber estate at Mabaruma Hill NWD. Are any photos in existence?

I have been trying to find out more about the family in Guyana for many years -the break through came this afternoon when I discovered that Matthew French Young's brother in law was Cecil Pereira, that then put me onto this site.

If there is a family link, I have info on David Young's family and life in Scotland.

Kind regards

Alistair Young (b. 1958)

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 1:12PM GMT
Dear Alistair,
Thank you so much for contacting me. Getting your email was such a joy. I had gotten a few, but no hope of any in regards that were of any family connections. I will say that yes, Great Uncle Matthew is the brother to my grandmother Margaret Young who is married to Cecil Pereira. Great Uncle Matthew passed away in 1998 and was a great artist as well had written a book, have you read it? Margaret lived to be 101 and passed away in Dec of 2000,can you believe that. I do believe she would of lived longer but since my bother had passed the year before, she did not want to live any longer. He was named for Great uncle Matthew and born the same year as you. Your response also comes at a good time as I will be going down to visit my mum this weekend, and she has all the old pictures of Guyana. I will see if there are any of David Young etc. You now have my curiosity up as to the rest of the family.
Thank you again for contacting me. I will be in touch. Also, where do you live, and do you have any family? How can I get in touch with you besides ancestry?
Melissa

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 5:29PM GMT
Dear Melissa,

Wow! I never thought that I would finally be able to make contact with the "Guyana" side of the family again. I have been trying for a couple of years now!

The catalyst was, of course Matthew French Young's book, which gave details about your grandparents wedding, which in turn gave the link to Perreira via Ancestry.com. I always thought that MFY was family -the photo of him in the book is a dead ringer for my father (1918-1999). They would have been second cousins, I guess. The artistic side also figures with the Greenock ancestors. The details about David Young fit, and David's parents were....Margaret and Robert.

I am based in England and can be reached by e-mail at:

alistair461@live.co.uk

Yes, there is family.

Can provide you with a lot of info if you are interested.

Looking forward to hearing from you -please send our best wishes to your mother.

Many thanks for coming back to me so quickly -I'm so pleased that we have finally been able to get in touch.

Alistair
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions