Search for content in message boards

Walter Briggs - Plymouth/Scituate circa 1650's - need info....

Walter Briggs - Plymouth/Scituate circa 1650's - need info....

Judy Mills Boie (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2006 5:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2006 11:52AM GMT
Surnames: Sprout, Samson, Chilton, Briggs, Collyare, Alden, Winslow
I am looking for information on the WALTER BRIGGS who was in Plymouth Colony in the early 1650's and is mentioned in the historic record below. Need to know where this Walter Briggs came from and when he came to Plymouth / Scituate.

At a "Court of Assistants holden at Plymouth the 4th of May 1658 " - Court Assistants William Collyare, John Alden, Josia Winslow and Thomas Southworth, " appeared Robert Sprout, formerly servent to Walter Briggs, and complained that his master keeps his indenture from him at the end of his term. Wherefore the Court orders, that Walter Briggs shall return the said Robert Sprout his indenture and that the said Sprout may have his libertie to worke with any other man in Scittuate until June Court next " ....(Sic)
A month later: " Att the General Court holden at Plymouth the fifth of June 1658, before Thomas Pence, Gov. William Collyare, John Alden Josias Winslow, Thomas Southworth, William Bradford and Thomas Hinckley, Assistants Ec. Walter Briggs complained against Robert Sprought in an action of the case to the damage of twenty pounds, for
not serving one year of his (indenture) time, and for other debts and dues. The jury finds for the defendant the cost of the suit." (Sic) Thus, Robert Sprout is now a "freeman."

Thanks for any help.
Judy Mills Boie - Minnesota

Re: Walter Briggs - Plymouth/Scituate circa 1650's - need info....

Katherine Noyes (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2006 9:09PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2006 11:53AM GMT
Surnames: Briggs, Cooper, Watson
Here is what I found on the LDS website if this is not what you are looking for there is more ( Family Search.org )
Walter Briggs b. 1612 in Scituate, Plymouth, Ma.
D. Jan. 16, 1676 Plymouth, Plymouth, Ma will signed
buried - June 4, 1684 will proved
Married abt. 1662 in Ma.
parents Walter Briggs - Anne Cooper father b. London Eng.d. 1687 in Scituate.
wife Frances Watson.
there is more info on the parents on the website if this is the person you are looking for..........good luck

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 1:38AM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2006 11:55AM GMT
Surnames: Sprout, Samson, Chilton, Briggs
Hi Katherine,
Yes, I did view the LDS site and found Walter Briggs - but the info there that you posted seems unlikely. I am not positive but I don't think the town of Scituate, MA was established
in 1612 so that Walter Briggs could have been born there.

I found a private online genealogy that says Walter Briggs was born, b/d unknown, in Bucklesham, Suffolk, ENG and that he was in Scituate before 1643, etc., etc..

But, What I was trying to find out was when and by what ship this Walter Briggs came to America. Being my ancester Robert Sprout was Indentured to this Walter Briggs - I would think that Robert Indentured himselt to Walter - BEFORE they left England. That's what I need to find out. Once I know the answer to this question - I may find out when my ancester Robert Sprout came to America and on what ship.
Sorry - I did not explain myself very well in my first post.

Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.
Judy

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 2:02PM GMT
Edited: 28 Sep 2006 7:01PM GMT
Surnames: Sampson, Briggs
I know virtually nothing about either of these men, but if you haven't consulted the Mayflower Society publications on Henry Sampson you might want to try that. An easy way to check would be to ask for the information on the Rootsweb Mayflower mailing list--someone will have the books and perhaps all the information available anywhere on Robert.

I believe Robert died in 1712. As far as I know, it is not known when Walter Briggs immigrated, and I think the first record of him is the 1643 "able to bear arms" list. I may well be wrong about all of that. If I'm right, it was 69 years from the time Walter is first known to be here to Robert's death. How long before 1643 Walter came is, I think, unknown, and I don't know how old Robert was when he died. Neither do I know how old he would have been when indentured. People in Plymouth at that time did often live to be pretty old, but it seems to me that Robert would have had to have lived a long life to have been indentured in England and come with Walter.

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 6:15PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2006 11:58AM GMT
Surnames: Samson, Sprout, Chilton, Briggs
Dear Harlow,
Thank you very much for your reply to my post. I am a member of the Society of Mayflower Descendants back to Henry Samson after 25 years of Samson / Sprout research.
I guess it would be a good idea that I purchase the Henry Samson book put out by the Mayflower Society, but as far as I have been told, the book says nothing about Robert Sprout's place and date of birth or when or how Robert came to America. In fact, most Sprout researchers only learned about Robert's Indenture to Walter Briggs - about 5 years ago, when the 1658 Plymouth Colony Court record appeared on Ancestry.com.
It is estimated that Robert Sprout was born ca 1631 / 1632 and that estimate is gauged on the earliest record found on him in Scituate history - when " in 1652 Robert was appointed to care for a widow of Scituate, who was destitute after her husbands death". It is thought that in order for any one to be "appointed" to a task of responsibility - one had to be at least 21 years of age. Reasonable deduction, yes, but not the proof I seek. So - that's why I have focused my personal Sprout research on the 1658 Briggs / Sprout Indenture record.
Shame on me, tho, that I have not sent for the actual Indenture records - which I will try to do, if such a thing is even available.
I appreciate your council, Harlow, and will follow up on your suggestions.
Best Regards,
Judy - Minnesota

Posted: 8 Aug 2006 1:14PM GMT
Have you checked Scituate records also? Some people owned property in several towns.

Judith Boie (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2006 1:05AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2006 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Sprout, Briggs
Yes, Phyllis, I have been in touch with the Historical Society at Scituate. They have my ancestor Robert Sprout of Scituate
in 1650 - listed as Richard Sprout on their online information.
I wrote them trying to find out if these were one and the same persons in regard to the indenture held by Walter Briggs, but they did not respond.
Guess I will have to write again.
Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic