Search for content in message boards

REVEREND JOEL BLACKWELL - GAFFNEY, SC

REVEREND JOEL BLACKWELL - GAFFNEY, SC

Clifton Blackwell (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2003 12:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
I understand there is a gravesite with marker of a REVEREND JOEL BLACKWELL buried at or near the old Indian Crossing of the Broad River known as CHEROKEE FORD which is located just south of the crossroads of highway 29 and highway 329 in GAFFNEY, SOUTH CAROLINA.
Does anyone know what is inscribed on that marker ?

Re: REVEREND JOEL BLACKWELL - GAFFNEY, SC

Posted: 27 Dec 2003 10:36AM GMT
Do you know of any brothers of Joel Blackwell?????

frances wimberly (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2003 2:12PM GMT
Hi. What year is he buried?
My gggrmo is Missouri Ann Blackwell McClure. Her mo was Sarah Goza and her fa was Wm. McClure son of James McClure. McClure's are Indian and in Choctaw census . Sarah's mo was Amy Wallis. My fa had mentioned 2 tribes to me and it is becoming evident that they were Cherokee and Choctaw. He had told my mo that he'd heard the Indian blood in the family was Cherokee. We believe that there was also Cherokee on this side, maybe also in the Riddle side md. (Green "Larry" Riddle gggrfa, husband to Missouri. They landed in Ms. but both sides hailed from SC. In Paul Sarrett's marriage records of SC I think I saw a McClure md to a Blackwell. Need to get into this more. Put it aside for several years at a time and then get back. Have subscribed to Ancestry and as soon as a few big hurdles are finished want to get back into the census records and really do process of elimination which is how I found my McClure's and had it verified by relatives I didn't know I had. frances

Posted: 27 Dec 2003 7:00PM GMT
I have not seen this gravesite marker so I do not know what is engraved. It is at the former site of the "OLD IRON WORKS" in Gaffney, SC. There is a question as to whether this is the gravesite of Rev. JOEL BLACKWELL or that of REV. ZACHARIAH BLACKWELL -- both of whom served the Green River Baptist Church in Rutherford County, NC as members of the GREEN RIVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
I was hopeful that someone had seen this marker and knew what it said.

Posted: 27 Dec 2003 7:30PM GMT
I have not seen this marker so I don't know what is inscribed. It is at the site of the former "OLD IRONWORKS" in Gaffney, SC. There is some question as to whether this is the gravesite of REV. JOEL BLACKWELL or that of REV. ZACHARIA BLACKWELL -- both of whom served the GREEN RIVER CHURCH of Rutherford County, NC as members of the GREEN RIVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
I was hopeful that someone had seen this marker and knew what it said.
Another possibility for this REV. JOEL BLACKWELL is the JOEL BLACKWELL who was living with his son THOMAS BLACKWELL and THOMAS'S Wife NANCY JUSTICE at the time of his death, and was buried by them in Row 18 of JONES CEMETERY, UPWARD, HENDERSON COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA.
That REV. JOEL BLACKWELL is said to have had at least sons CHARLES, DAVID, and JOEL BLACKWELL, JUNIOR, and a daughter RACHAEL BLACKWELL who is supposed to have married a THOMAS P. WORLEY in Hall County, Georgia.

Posted: 1 May 2004 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell/Walker
Clifton,
I am from Gaffney and would be happy to try and locate your marker for you if you're still interested?
Candy

Posted: 20 Jun 2005 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: BLACKWELLL
Joel and Zachariah(GGGgrandfather) would like to know is you could try and find the marker Clifton Blackwel was talking about. Thanks Susan Blackwell

Candy Parrott (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 2005 1:58PM GMT
Susan,
I'd be happy to try to find a marker for you. Could you please refresh me on the exact names and location to look? (Sorry but it's been a while since I initially offered and do not remember the details.) So if you could supply that info I'd be happy to check on this for you.
Candy

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Blackwell
Hi Candy,
Clifton Blackwell said in 2003," It is at the former site of the "OLD IRON WORKS" in Gaffney, SC. There is a question as to whether this is the gravesite of Rev. JOEL BLACKWELL or that of REV. ZACHARIAH BLACKWELL -- both of whom served the Green River Baptist Church in Rutherford County, NC as members of the GREEN RIVER BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.
I was hopeful that someone had seen this marker and knew what it said."
===========
My hunch is that just maybe Rev. Joel b. abt. 1760 Lunenberg was the same person as the Rev. Zachariah b. 1769 Lunenberg. I can never find Zachariah and Joel both lised at the same time, is why I am guessing at this. I may be very wrong, so, can anybody disprove it? Any help appreciated.

Posted: 28 Jan 2011 5:54AM GMT
I have a photo of Rev. Joel Blackwell 1755-1839's tombstone in the Jones Cemetery, Upward, Henderson Co., NC. If you would like a copy email me at hr45@suddenlink.net. Jim
Rev. John Blackwell 1755-1840 researcher
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions