Search for content in message boards

do i have native american blood ?

do i have native american blood ?

Posted: 3 May 2008 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Mar 2009 4:17AM GMT
Surnames: Robinson
i was just curious as to what native americans think about what people say to be traits common in people with native american ancestry because im African American and have some of these traits, extra ridge of bone along the outside of the foot,shovel teeth,ridges at gumline,high cheekbones,even though im a darker color i have a reddish tone to my skin,very thick hair and we seemed to have been lucky to have nice skin i've never even had acne and i've been told i look a little native american,even by a native american,also im asking because a lot of oral history from elders in my family says my greatgrandmother was indian and she looked indian but her eyes were kind of slanted, but her birth records says black now, im hearing portugese rumours(crazy ain't it portugese in altavista virginia???) and for years i've heard my fathers real father is full blooded indian because he looks nothin like my grandfather and his surname is robinson...im just curious to wats goin on with these crazy stories.. heres a link to my family tree if u wanna check it out i have some pics there websitehttp://www.myheritage.com/FP/family-tree.php?s=23715001

Re: do i have native american blood ?

Posted: 10 May 2008 7:03PM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2009 4:17AM GMT
Talk to the people at Family Tree DNA about taking the DNA test and what it will prove.

FTDNA.com

Posted: 25 Oct 2008 3:03AM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2009 4:18AM GMT
Give us some complete names, dates and locations and I'll check the census for you to see if they show up.

Posted: 18 Dec 2008 8:22AM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2009 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: Robinson
You mentioned the name Robinson in your post. My maternal Grandmother was Henriette Robinson b 1883. If you can give me any info at all about anyone in this family I will be truly grateful. It's not easy trying to trace Native American ancestry in Australia, where I live. Thank you. Sue

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 7:57PM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2009 4:19AM GMT
I am not the same person that originally asked the question about Native American blood, but I am also looking for such information and am wondering how to go about it. My family is from New Mexico and I have heard from my oldest sister that our grandfather had Indian blood. I have some information that I can share and would appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. I am a real novice in this type of search.

Curly Baca

Re: Henriette Robinson

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 8:12PM GMT
Edited: 29 Mar 2009 4:20AM GMT
Where was Henriette born? When did she marry and to whom?

Posted: 29 Mar 2009 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Baca
I recommend that first you record the vital data on your lineage. Dates, locations (state, county, city) , etc, of birth, marriage, death and burial of your foreparents. Include info on all siblings at each generation to at least your great grandfather.

Most university, county and large city libraries have microfilm and paper census files. US Indian census files were taken from 1885-1945 for most tribes and or Indian agencies. Searcch of Indian census files would look like this:
Name Parent or spouse names Relation to Head Birth Date Gender Tribe Reservation State View Images

Lupe Baca Mother abt 1864 Female San Dia Band of Pueblo (Pueblo) New Mexico

Jose Loranza Baca Jesuita Montoya Husband abt 1874 Male San Dia Band of Pueblo (Pueblo) New Mexico

Jesuita Montoya Baca Jose Loranza Wife abt 1880 Female San Dia Band of Pueblo (Pueblo) New Mexico

Rufina Baca Jose Loranza,
Jesuita Montoya Daughter abt 1898 Female San Dia Band of Pueblo (Pueblo) New Mexico

Jose Ignacio Baca Jose Loranza,
Jesuita Montoya Son abt 1900 Male San Dia Band of Pueblo (Pueblo) New Mexico

Finally, a DNA test from Family Tree DNA Inc. But first telephone them and as questions prepared in advance to assure you will learn what you want.

Posted: 29 Mar 2009 9:05PM GMT
Thank you very nuch. This will help me move froward from here.

Posted: 7 May 2009 3:07PM GMT
This is easier said than done but you need to start with yourself and trace back at least 5 generations. You will need actual documemtation of every person in those five generations. Do not get discouraged,it is not easy but you do need to do this because you have to have proof and it would come from the mothers bloodline. Hope this helps.

Posted: 8 May 2009 4:44PM GMT
You state that your grandmother was Native American. You need to call family tree DNA to find out how many markers you need to have done. And who needs to be tested. Mothers and daughter carry the same DNA make-up. So was the Native American your Grandfather's mother's side. Ask them how many markers need to be done to get the best results.

Go to http://www.familytreedna.com/

To do a DNA test you do not have to go back 5 generations. Going back 5 generations may be when you try to connect back to the tribe.

Call Family Tree DNA and ask questions. They are very good about answering them.

Good Luck
Joy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic