Search for content in message boards

Alexander Murray - Dalrymple Churchyard

Alexander Murray - Dalrymple Churchyard

Posted: 30 May 2011 2:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murray
Hi all,
My name is Lauren Murray and i live in Australia - I am looking for some help in locating my Great, Great, Great Grandfather and Grandmother's headstone inscriptions or even a photograph if someone lives in the area and is able to take one for me? My G, G, G. Grandfather's name was Alexander Murray (I do not know my grandmother's name or surname) and was a resident of Knockjarder Farm - he passed away on the 15th of March, 1878 and a service was to be held at the Dalrymple Churchyard on the 18th of March, 1878. I have been told they are supposedly buried near a door to the church? either one back from the door or next to the back door? I have searched through the list of gravestone transcripts that i have seen online but have not found anything in relation to Alexander's grave? If anyone is able to offer any help at all it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Lauren Murray.
p.s. his son's name was William Murray if this also helps?

Re: Alexander Murray - Dalrymple Churchyard

Posted: 30 May 2011 4:09PM GMT
Hello Lauren,

If you purchase Alexander Murray's, death certificate from Scotlandspeople online this will confirm his wife's, name plus his parents names.

I think your Alexander, was a gamekeeper, and he most likely was not born in Dalrymple, Ayr.

It also looks like he was married to Sarah Cockburn Campbell, 26/Feb/1848. Dalry,Ayr.

As i stated you need his death certificate to verify Alexander, true identity.

This Alexander Murray, did have a son William Murray, do you have a age for William.

Regards,
Jonn.

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:24AM GMT
hello,
I too live in Aus and have been looking for my Murray's. I have only been able to find James Murray married Agnes Smith. He was born about 1750 in Mauchline, Ayrshire but I have no info about his family and who his siblings were. I wonder if your Murray's might have been related . I have the children of James and Agnes and family to present day.

Cheers Chris

Posted: 31 May 2011 11:22AM GMT
Surnames: MURRAY, CAMPBELL
The following households extracted from the census records give the list of children for Alexander and Sarah.

1861 Census Dalrymple
Alexr Murray, 38, gamekeeper, b Dundonald
Sarah Murray, 33, wife, b Dalry
Isabella Murray, 13, b Dalry
Wm Murray, 11, b Kirksowald
John Murray, 8, b Kirksowald
Janet Murray, 6, b Dalrymple
Martha Murray, 4, b Dalrymple
Sarah Murray, 2, b Dalrymple
--------

1871 Dalrymple Census
Alexander Murray 48 b Dundonald, Ayrshire, gamekeeper
Sarah Murray, 43, b Dalry, Ayrshire, wife
Janet Murray, 15, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire
Sarah Murray, 11, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire
Alexander Murray, 9, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire
Jane Murray, 7, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire
Mary Murray, 5, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire
Thomas Murray, 3, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire
Agnes Murray, 1, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire

1881 Coylton Census
Sarah C Murray, 53, annuitant, gamekeeper's widow
Sarah Murray, 21
Thomas Murray, 13
Agnes Murray, 11
James Murray, 9, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire
Janet R Campbell, 75, b Dalrymple, Ayrshire, mother, gardener's widow

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:27PM GMT
Hi Jonn,

Thank you for all your help - I'll take a look into getting hold of the death certificate.

As for William Murray, I know he was born about 1852 in Ayrshire, Scotland - he died on the 11th of October, 1904 at about 52 years old.

Regards,
Lauren.

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:28PM GMT
Hi Chris,

I am yet to come across any James Murray's related to my family - if i do i will be sure to post any info on here for you :)

Lauren.

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:31PM GMT
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply to my post - this gives me some great info and a new lead - i was a bit stuck before.

Can I just ask where you got this information from? Was it through the ancestry.com database or an outside source?

Thanks again.
Lauren.

Posted: 31 May 2011 1:01PM GMT
The census info comes from the ancestry.com index.

The original census images can be viewed/downloaded from the government website at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for a small fee. They also have the birth/marriage/death registrations beginning 1855 and the Old Parish Records for prior existing BMDs.

The death registrations for Alexander and Sarah will most likely give parent names which will take you back another generation.

Posted: 31 May 2011 4:28PM GMT
Chris,

Have found a James Murray related to my Murray's - he is the child of Alexander Murray and Sarah Campbell. Born on the 27th of May, 1871 in Dalrymple, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Don't know if this helps you at all?

Regards,
Lauren.

Posted: 1 Jun 2011 12:09AM GMT
Thanks Lauren
Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions