Search for content in message boards

If I upload a tree on Rootsweb does it also post on Ancestry?

If I upload a tree on Rootsweb does it also post on Ancestry?

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 3:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
If I upload a tree on Rootsweb does it also post on Ancestry? I am concerned that once it goes on Ancestry, you lose control. I used to have a tree there but due to email changes I could no longer access it and Ancestry managers that I spoke to would not help to delete it. Is Rootsweb a good place to post my tree and maintain control?
Thanks

Re: If I upload a tree on Rootsweb does it also post on Ancestry?

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 3:24AM GMT
Lose control how? Anytime you post information of any kind online it is "out there" for others to view and use for their personal use. When you upload a tree to WorldConnect it becomes part of the master database that is searchable and viewable on both the RootsWeb and Ancestry side but you retain control of your data in that you can select what to make public and what to omit from public view (options) and you can update or remove your tree at any time.

Joan

Posted: 23 Mar 2010 7:32AM GMT
Yes, it is out there- but...

There is a vast difference between someone being able to view my work and copy it by hand into their work and someone being able to copy a person from my tree to theirs with the simple click of a mouse.

It is that single click copying that a great many object to.

It is probably the worst decision Ancestry has ever made. At least Roots web offers the option or allowing or not allowing a GEDCOM download.

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 11:33PM GMT
On My Heritage you can elect to have the file private and share it only with family or make it public. Is that possible on Rootsweb? I was thinking of trying Rootsweb so I would love to know that in advance.

Betty@familytreeprojects.com

Posted: 29 Mar 2010 1:30AM GMT
Rootsweb has no option for that- Ancestry's Member Trees do.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 4:22AM GMT
Isn't the point of sharing family information so people don't get wrong birth and death dates. I find it occasionally hard to find information and when it's in other trees I'm glad to find the information.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 1:50PM GMT
If you read my original post you will understand why.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 4:45PM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2012 6:47PM GMT
I put mine on ancestry.com and on rootsweb and on a website I built and I used FTM 2012 to sync it on Ancestry to keep all the information updates and correct.

Posted: 3 Oct 2012 4:53PM GMT
Edited: 3 Oct 2012 5:08PM GMT
Ancestry Member Tree and Ancestry World Tree are two entirely different animals.

A db/tree (GED) uploaded to rootsweb world connect project aka/WCT will display on the Ancestry site in Ancestry WORLD Tree, aka/AWT.

The latest versions of FTM and FTMM sync with Ancestry MEMBER Tree, to the degree and parameters the Ancestry Member Tree program allows.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions