Search for content in message boards

John & Mindy Sue Carter

John & Mindy Sue Carter

Brad Jestice (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2002 7:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carter, Marlin, Hightower, Lawhon
I am looking for information on John & Mindy Sue Carter who resided in the Evening Shade, AR area for around 70 years. I beleive they moved to Evening Shade, AR around 1870 or 1871 from somewhere in Missouri. They had 13 children, one of which was my great-grandmother James Allie Carter Marlin Hightower. Anyone who may know of or about them please contact me. I'm trying to find where they came from, who their parents were, etc. Mindy Sue Carter's maiden name was either Cain or Cane and it is beleived that she was full blood Cherokee. After John Carter died she married a man from the Sharp County area - last name Horton - don't know his first name. My family names from this area of Arkansas are : Lawhon, Marlin, Hightower, & Carter. These families all lived in the Izard and Sharp county areas. Again, anyone with information on John & Mindy Carter or any of the other family names I've mentioned please feel free to contact me. Thank You

Re: John & Mindy Sue Carter

KAthy Small (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2002 6:31AM GMT
Brad, I don't know if this will help you but I have some information on some of the names that you mentioned...I have information on Marlin's of Izard County...Samuel Marlin and Rebecca Cruthchfield Marlin...also some Hightowers of the area...if you are intersted let me know...
surnames...Small, Powell,Mathis, Starrett, Cunningham

Brad Jestice (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2002 8:01PM GMT
Surnames: Lawhon, Carter, Marlin, Hightower
Kathy, thanks for replying to my message. I would definitely be interested in any info you may have, if it's not too much trouble for you. All I know about my Marlin line is my great grandfather (my mother's mother's father) was Charlie Lee Marlin. He was from the Evening Shade, AR area. He died in 1917 in Texas, then my great grandmother Allie Carter Marlin (who later married R.L.'Bob' Hightower) brought my grandmother (Lula Mae Marlin) and my great uncle (Luther Marlin) back home to the Izard County or Evening Shade area. The other way I'm related to Hightower's is through my great grandmother on my mother's father's side of the family. Her maiden name was Hightower, Nancy Ann 'Nannie' Hightower. She married John Ace Lawhon. Her parents were William R. Hightower and Mary Ann Rien Hightower. We know quite a bit about the Hightower's but not much about the Marlin's. I'm particularly interested in trying to locate people who may have or who may know of someone who has old photos of any of these folks, especially from the 1800's or early 1900's. I would appreciated any information you could help me with and likewise if there's anything I can do to help you. I wish I knew something of your family lines. If I did I would surely pass it on to you. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks again, Brad.

Re: MORSE/MOSS,CARTER,ARNOLD-CharitonCoMO>IzardCoAR

Posted: 5 Apr 2007 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: MORSE/MOSS, CARTER, ARNOLD, DALE
Brad,
This may not be your group but there is a good possibility.

1870 USFedCen MO(Missouri),CharitonCo.,Twp53Range20
Post Office: Brunswick,MO enumerated 23 Jun 1870
Ln31 443/465
ARNOLD, Aron 28<1842>mw FmLbr IL
ARNOLD, Mary 22<1848>fw KpgHs OH
Ln33 443/466
MOSS, Nicholas 33<1837>mw FmLbr VA
MOSS, Mary 41<1829>fw KpgHs IL
MOSS(CARTER),James 19<1851>mw IL
MOSS(CARTER),Nancy 17<1853>fw IL
MOSS(CARTER),John 14<1856>mw IL
MOSS(CARTER),Abram 12<1858>mw IL
MOSS??CARTER,Joseph B. 8<1862>mw IL
MOSS, Florence 1<1869>fw IL
ARNOLD,Eliza 63<1807>fw TN

then, 10 years later
1880 USFedCen AR,Izard Co.,LaffertyCreekTwp,EnDist 84
enumerated 5 Jul 1880 by MShelbyKennard
Ln21 41/41
MOSS,Nicholas F. wm 42<1838>head-1-Miller VA VA VA
MOSS,Mary wf 50<1830>wife-1-KpgHs IL NC NC
MOSS,Joseph B. wm 17<1863>son 1--Chairmaker IL VA IL
MOSS,Florence wf 11<1869>dau 1--AtHm MO VA IL

I had not found the other CARTER children yet.
Do not know where or when (or if) marriage record exists.
Prior to this(1860 FedCen)Nicholas MORSE is shown as FmLbr
in household of Mary CARTER(wd of John CARTER) in Adams Co.
IL. Another older child is shown in that census, Martha CARTER (who we believe to have married John DALE--both buried in Melbourne, Izard Co., AR) If I have remembered
correctly this Dale family shows up in Chariton Co., MO also.

Mary CARTER MOSS/MORSE is believed to have been Mary(Polly)
ARNOLD. Marriage: Adams Co.,IL CARTER,John m. ARNOLDS,Polly
05Jan1845

If you have secured more info on your John CARTER, please respond. My interest is Abram CARTER,whose son,Robert CARTER married my gm's sister, Ella McNeill in Izard Co.,AR

For infomation about ARNOLD,CARTER and MOSS/MORSE previous census please see
http://www.genforum.com/arnold
then

Appreciate you posting!

Posted: 28 May 2007 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Fleming
Hi, I have a Martha Carter married a John Fleming on
13 February, 1880.

They had at least the following children:
Mary Fleming, b. 1879
William Fleming, b. January 1883
Maud Fleming, b. October 1884

She left or passed away and John Fleming remarried a Nancy Brockwell on 28 September, 1893. This was an Izard County family.

Do you see any connection? This posting contained a Martha Carter and Izard so I thought I would take a shot.

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 4:56PM GMT
Abe was my great grandfather, i have informationon him if you still need it.

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Carter, McNeill
Concerning the gg gf Abe Carter, would you mind posting what you have found on his wives? I was particularly interested in knowing who was the wife for the son of Abe's named Robert (he married my gm's sister, Ella McNeill in Izard County, AR---they both are buried in OK) I am not where my info is located but I would also be interested in the total and identity of the children that Abe fathered, as I remember it was a large family. Which of those children are you descended from? Do you have any communication with Robert's children still living or his grandchildren? I have never been able to find any of them in OK. Thanks for any additional information on this family, and thanks so much for responding---appreciate any information about Abe's family---I have had great difficulty tracking even Robert and his wife Ella.
Thanks so much for the response!

Martha CARTER & John FLEMING---IzardCoAR

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: CARTER, FLEMING
Sorry, I had not gotten notified of your post
or just missed it completely.

I am not where my information is located at present but I will see what information I have on Martha Carter. However, I don't recall the Flemming name connected with these Carters but it's been ages since I searched this family.
Will see what I have if anything and share with you, if we think it is connected. Thanks so much for the post.

Posted: 13 Jul 2011 2:35AM GMT
Robert Carter dies on 11-1-1967 in Seminole Ok. I have contact with his son from the second marriage Franklin Carter. Roberts mom's name was Cathrine Carter born in Illinois. There is not a lot of information on her. I have writen for the marriage cert for her and Abe. Abe had a second family which was my Grandfather. He died in 1914 in Oklahoma City. He was additied to moraphine and supposedly so was my GGrandmother Lula Carter. Four boys including my Grandfather were put into an orphage when they moved to Hobart Oklahoma. ONly one of the kids got to stay with Lula because he was already sick with TB of the bowels. I have more and am finding move everyday. I will get ahold of Frank Carter and tell him that i have email you.

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 5:56PM GMT
My Father was John Carter, his father was William Carter born in Evening Shade Arkansas. His Grandmother was Mindy Carter a full blooded Cherokee. I don't know much. But I think we are related. I would love to hear from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions