Search for content in message boards

How to: Multiple Entries

How to: Multiple Entries

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 12:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm new to ancesry.com, and I have come across a strange, but possibly not too uncommon situation. About 10 generations back in my family tree, the same parents appear for multiple ancestors. Apparently their many grandkids didn't find anyone who wasn't a relative to marry in their area, so they found each other. This could explain some things about me. :)

So I was wondering if there is a way to click on one person and say "this is the same person over here". That way I don't have to make the same entries multiple times.

I'd be grateful foe any help.

Re: How to: Multiple Entries

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 1:08AM GMT
You should never add a person more than once to your database; after that you link them to other people already in your database.

If you have multiple entries for the same person you need to delete the duplicates- there is no way to "merge" them.

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 1:11AM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2011 1:14AM GMT
Never enter a person more than once in your tree, *ever.*

In order to show the many "entanglements" simply attach the same person's profile page, as appropriate, to everyone who is connected to the relationship.

One profile page is all that is needed to show every event in one person's life chronologically. As you have found, duplicate records cause much confusion and disconnect.

Choose the most complete profile and code it with a number or character in the name to designate the one you wish to keep. Then type the missing information from the other profile pages into the designated one, proofread for accuracy, and then delete the unnecessary duplicate person/s as you move through the list of duplicate names. This can be tedious and time consuming, but it is the only known way to salvage what you want. Separate the wheat from the chaff and attach the wheat to one specific profile and delete the rest. Then attach the designated person's profile page to those who are to be connected. Last, remove the coded number or character from the selected profile name.

By the time one completes this corrective exercise, one knows exactly why one should never add duplicates or save folks' names directly from other sources. Key each one in individually or.......one knows the required drill by now.

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 4:13PM GMT
I agree that this is how you will have to fix this problem. I have had a couple of situations where I was working backwards and didn't realize that two branches of the family led back to a common ancestor, so ended up with someone in there twice from different routes. The key is to fix the relationship links, and then get rid of the extras.

Also, one thing I learned the hard way is that when deleting someone completely, you need to start at the outer edges (all the tangential folks) and work back to the person you really need to delete, or you will end up with "orphans" who are not connected to anyone in your tree, because you have removed the connector. This happened to me when I decided that things were totally out of hand, and elected to keep only the lineal ancestors for some early generations - when making deletions, I had to first delete the spouses, spouses' parents, etc., or they all would have stayed in the tree, but with no connections.

Posted: 27 Apr 2011 6:08AM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2011 6:16AM GMT
You have to delete any duplicate entries on your tree starting with the youngest persons and work your way back to clear the wrongful branch completely. The key to avoiding the problem in the first place is when you click on add a family member to your tree Ancestry gives you the option of selecting a person already attached to your tree. Almost every family has cousins marrying cousins somewhere in their family, or someone marrying a spouses sister ( or brother) after a spouse has died.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 9:54PM GMT
These answers are helpful but let Ancestry.com off the hook too easily. At 300 bucks a year, they need to get ths right. There is no reason that updated records should appear as hints with blanks that lead to even the 'opportunity' to select duplicates. Why are not the most likely matches displayed in all cases? And I'm sorry, but when you are going back several generations, often you are learning about these folks for the first time. So there is no way to know who is correct and who is not. That's what I'm paying Ancestry.com for -- to discover these folks. And in those cases where a duolicate does occur, then they need to provide a tool as a standard option to allow merging duplicates. These features need to be provided ASAP.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 10:29PM GMT
The technology is the tool, it doesn't think and evaluate for you, that's up to you, the human being.

The tree program is free, you're not paying for it.

Your paid subscription is for access to the research databases and gives you access to view other member public trees. If you don't copy from trees, then you'll never have a dupe problem.

Clicking and copying from other trees is easy-peasy name collecting, it's not genealogy and not "learning about these folks for the first time". Learning is the operative word, try doing some of that.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 12:15AM GMT
Wrong. This is aimed at the company, not you. Please don't take it personally.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 2:44AM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2012 3:02AM GMT
You cannot expect software or a website to do the work that only a human mind or several human minds can do.

In my family, there are 2 men named James Clarence Lowe. Both were born in 1911, and each is my 1st cousin, once removed.

Both men have the same paternal grandparents.
Both were born in the same county, in the same state, in the same year, within 2 weeks of each other - one in late August, the other in early September.

How can any software or website differentiate between the 2, once they are no longer living at home with their parents?

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 3:49AM GMT
Hi. I'm sure you mean well but I was making a statement, not requesting a debate. If you work for the company and do tech support, I'd be more than happy to continue. If not, then I wish you well, but have no time for further debate.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic