Search for content in message boards

History of Caldwell County

Caldwell History

Barbara Craig (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
According to "The Farmers Advocate" atlas of Caldwell co., MO 1897 (of which I have a copy) it was so named for John Caldwell, Indian scout. If you would like more information on Caldwell co., I would be happy to try to answer your questions. This book has maps of each of the towns and lists of the people who owned land there at that time. There is another URL that I have copied things from at different times that has the history of the beginning of Caldwell. But the URL escapes me at the moment, I will try to find it.
Barbara
craba@pacbell.net

History of Caldwell County

Bernice Dean (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Caldwell, McHenry
Does anyone know how Caldwell County get its name?? Was it from a Caldwell family who lived there? Thanks!

Arnet P. Douglass

Posted: 4 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 2:13AM GMT
Surnames: Barrell, Douglas, Douglass, Kemp, McClure, Prier, Pankratz, Stockwell, Tomlinson
My great-great uncle, Arnet P. Douglas(s) (1845) apparently went from KS to Caldwell County, MO after his father died in 1862. I find him listed as Arnet P.in the 1864 tax rolls of the 13th SubDistrict of Caldwell County, Rockford Twp. I also found a listing for A.P. Douglass in the Bailey Funeral Home (Polo, MO) list as having died 1/11/1910 (Prairie Ridge). The A.P. Douglas is listed with a birthdate of 1838. I don't know if these two men are the same. Would like to know what you have on Arnet P. Douglas(s), especially if he was married to Mary Ann Hunter in 1874 and came from KS. The other listing (A.P.) may not be my guy if the birthdate is correct.

His brothers, John M. (1844) and William Taylor Douglass (1852), may have gone to MO with him.

Thanks for your efforts and anything you can find.

Re: Caldwell History

Posted: 3 Mar 2002 6:22AM GMT
Could you tell me where I can buy a copy of book, "Farmer's Advocate"?
Thank you very much.
Marty

Barb (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2002 4:20AM GMT
Marty, I found my copy in an antique store that carried some genealogy books.

Posted: 19 Mar 2002 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: Caldwell, Todd
Hi Barbara, I would be interested in the history of Caldwell county. I am looking for relatives of my father, Melvin Russell
Caldwell and started from almost nothing. Did you find that URL that you mentioned in 7/2000? :^)) Celia

Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2002 2:20PM GMT
Which Todds in Caldwell County are you looking for?

Marty (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2002 3:49PM GMT
Surnames: Herron, Barbee,Watson, Holder
Looking for Caldwell County families Herron, Barbee, Watson, Holder.
Thank You
Marty

Celia (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2002 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Caldwell, Todd, Wormington
My grandmother Todd's family - I don't know her father's name and was told that her mother's name was Laura Terry. but I know for sure that her sisters were Josephine and Ellen and her brother's name was Barney. Both she and Ellen married Caldwells (brothers) and Josephine married a Bolin. Any help tracing them would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2002 12:24AM GMT
What is/was your grandmother's first name? I will ask my Todd cousin in Caldwell Co. the next time I write.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic