Search for content in message boards

Agnes SURMAN (formerly HARMON)

Agnes SURMAN (formerly HARMON)

Posted: 12 May 2002 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SURMAN, HARMON, ROBERTSON
I am interested in learning more about Agnes SURMAN, who passed away in Garza County, Texas on 26 August 1991. If I have the correct individual, her maiden name is HARMON. She is the daughter of John Edward HARMON and Irene ROBERTSON. Agnes was born in Washington County, TX around 1896. I would like to find her obituary as well. Thanks.

Re: Agnes SURMAN (formerly HARMON)

reba teal parks (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2004 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: Surman, Harmon, Justice, Pickett, Robertson
Garza Co. History Book "Footprints" printed in 1982. Memories of Buggies, Babies and Post: excerpt: A pretty, dark haired teacher named Agnes Harmon was visiting some cousins when she caught the doctor's eye. Although he said it was she that was out to nail her a husband, he was a very attentive suitor" page 161. Two children, Rosemary Surman Justice, and Arnold Surman, killed at age 21 in a plane crash while attending the same medical school as his father. page 124 and 125 re: Charles L. Pickett, wife Julia Florence Robertson b. 10 Feb 1888, Washington Co. TX "Agnes Surman came to Post in 1914 at the request of Mrs. Pickett, her cousin, to teach school near Justiceburg." Much more info about the Surman family, especially doctor Surman.

(Note I am not related nor am I researching these names, just happened to have the Garza Co. History book)

reba parks (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2005 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: Surman, Harmon, Justice
Thought I'd let you know that the daughter of Agnes Surman and Dr. Surman died a couple of weeks ago. She had married a Justice and I believe she died in Lubbock.

reba parks (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2005 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: surman, Harmon Justice
Story last updated at 4:34 a.m. Friday, July 1, 2005 Lubbock Avalanche Journal (photo on obits page)
Rosemary Surman Justice

Rosemary Surman Justice, 87, of Lubbock died Wednesday, June 29, 2005, at the Garrison Care Center.

Services will be 2:30 p.m. Sunday, July 3, at the First Presbyterian Church, 910 West 10th Street in Post with the Rev. Robert Field officiating. Burial will follow at Terrace Cemetery under the personal care of Justice-Mason Funeral Home in Post.

Visitation will be from noon until 1:30 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home, 301 West Main.

Mrs. Justice was born in Post Oct. 12, 1917. Her parents were Dr. A.C. and Agnes Harmon Surman. She graduated from Post High School and attended Texas Women's University before transferring to the University of Texas. On Christmas Day 1939, she married Doyle Justice. They lived in Austin while he attended law school and while she finished college. The couple moved between East and West Coasts during WWII depending on his postings in the Army Coastal Artillery. In 1946, the couple moved to Lubbock, with their growing family and Mr. Justice began his law practice. Mrs. Justice centered life around her family and community service. She was a member and served a term as president of the Lubbock Junior League. She devoted many years to the Camp Fire Girls and to the PTA organizations and she was an active member of First Presbyterian Church, where she was a deacon. In 1961, the Justices were voted Lubbock's Family of the Year. Her husband died in 1996.

Survivors include five children: Jan Westwater of Seattle, Wash., Paula Justice of Lubbock, Delton Justice of Houston, Jill Justice of Oklahoma City, and Robert Justice of Seattle; 12 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

In lieu of flowers, please send memorials to Lubbock Meals on Wheels 2304 34th Street, Lubbock, TX 79411, or to Garza County Historical Museum, 119 North Ave. N., Post, TX 79356-3105.

Sarah Gunderson (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2005 5:00PM GMT
Thank you for the information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic