Search for content in message boards

Healey's in Rhode Island

Healey's in Rhode Island

Joan (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2001 8:28PM GMT
Anyone out there familiar with any Healey's in Rhode Island?
My grandfather was Michael Healey. and his wife was Anna Conaty Healey. Both came to America in the early 1900's. My father, Thomas Patrick Healey was born here in 1911.
There is a possibility that my grandfather spelled his last name Healy. Two of my uncles spelled it "ly". I believe my Grandfather came from Cork, and my grandmother from Roscommon. The family history has always been a bit fuzzy. It was also rumored my grandfather had two brothers that migrated to Australia around the same time. Any info would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

Re: Healey's in Rhode Island

Posted: 26 Jul 2001 11:11PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2001 9:44PM GMT
Hi I am a HealEy in RI....My Great Grandfather and his brother came from Boherbue, Co. Cork to Central Falls/Pawtucket area Circa 1877(?) Cornelius, My GGrandfather married Catherine Ward From Tully Village, Tuamna, Roscommon........(Emmigrated to Fox Piont Providence circa 1878??? at the age of 17)
The Brother; Daniel Healy (Yep- they spelled it differently) Married_____________. He had many children. He was a Captain on the Police Dep't in Pawtucket, R.I. My GGrandfather, sadly was a bad alcoholic. Catherine raised all 9 children by herslf after dismissing him from the household- Most married and had children of their own. If you see any links, please do let me know. Cornelius and Daniel had brothers and sisters Gehr (stayed in Ireland) and Kate (Chicago) I have "met" and correspond to Gehr's GGreat grandchildren and GGGreat Grandchildren....some in Ireland some in the states. There are also some of his children in England as well, though I do not know exactly where. Anyhoo , give me a note if you think that there may be potential. Regards, Kate

Re: Healey's in Massachusetts

Posted: 6 Sep 2001 6:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jun 2002 9:15PM GMT
No, I'm not a Healey from Rhode Island but from Massachusetts. My Grandfather was Michael Francis Healey who married Julia Driscoll both from Ireland. They had many children....Winifred, John, Michael & Mary (twins) and Dennis. However, 6 or 8 boys all died within a year in 1920(ish) -- maybe from the TB epidemic that took Julia. Would love to find family... Ama

Posted: 19 Jan 2002 5:08PM GMT
Surnames: healey,healy
I, too, am searching for Healy/Healey families in RI. In particular, the descendants of Andrew Joseph and Thomas Patrick Healy, who came from Ballymote, Co. Sligo about 1907 to RI. They had two sisters who accompanied them from Irealnd. I have found some info on Andrew, but nothing on Thomas.
I have found a couple families that have some Healy info, so please contact me directly at jeffhaley7@juno.com.

Posted: 3 Jun 2002 8:55PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2002 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: HEALEY/HEALY/SULLIVAN
Do these names ring bells for you or any one?

James HEALEY (1830-1877) arrived in Boston in 1846, married Ellen SULLIVAN in Lawrence, MA in 1856. Their children (so far) were James (d. 1910), Dennis (d, 1864), Mary (died age 44), Julia-Theresa(died age 35), Catherine (died age 1, 1870).

Posted: 6 Jun 2002 8:23PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2002 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Healey
Hi Dan, My grandfather was Michael Francis Healey of Roscommon he was born about 1875 and d 1955. My Dad was born in Boston, Mass. (South Boston, actually) He was one of, I think, 10 or 12. His Mother died in 1918 - she was Julia Driscoll. I believe she was from County Claire. At or around the same time 5 or 6 boys died...(2 boys named James and 1 Dennis - can't remember the others.) This all occurred during a TB epidemic in Boston. The Surviving children were, Winifred, John Patrick, Michael Joseph (DAD) twin to Mary Francis, and Dennis. My Grandpa was Michael Francis Healey of Roscommon, Ireland.

Dad and Dennis were both sent back to Ireland after their Mother's death. They were raised, by an Uncle John Healey, in Roscommon. Dad returned as a young man (about 20 – or 21). He use to tell such stories we didn't know where story ended and truth began.....
(An Irish trait I think!) He spoke of "Adsorenboyle" and the village of Lisnasillagh. I understand that this was in the southern part of Roscommon. He talked of cousins and riding bikes, delivering papers and digging potatoes……….

Somehow there is a connection to O’Connell (cousins), Rooney (cousin).

Posted: 7 Jun 2002 6:56PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2002 10:31PM GMT
Surnames: HEALEY/HEALY/HALEY
Unfortunately, your dates and locations are only parallel to my dates and locations.

James HEALEY (1824-1877), son of Dennis HEALEY (1809-1875), was born in Cork, died in Lawrence, MA. He landed in Eastport, ME in 1846, worked in Boston until 1856 when he moved to Lawrence and married Ellen SULLIVAN. His children included James, John, Julia, Dennis (died in 1864 of unknown causes), Catherine. John and James were the only ones who lived long enough to marry. I'm still looking for siblings who died in the early 1860s.

Posted: 3 Jul 2002 12:25AM GMT
Edited: 26 Feb 2003 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: HALEY/HEALEY
Your information sounds close, except for some of the dates, but I'm seriously willing to explore this further. James HEALEY (1830-1877)(died of TB; wife: Ellen SULLIVAN) came from Cork and landed in Eastport, ME (likely Boston). He worked as a Founder and became a citizen in Lawrence, MA in October of 1868 along with another James HEALY of Galway. His father was Dennis HEALEY; he may have been in Lawrence around 1874/75. I do not know who James' siblings were; I know he had at least one brother. James' children were: John, James, Mary, Julia-Theresa, Dennis (died age 1), and Catherine (died age 1).

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 4:36AM GMT
I am also a Healy in Rhode Island. Daniel was my paternal Grandfather. The family settled in Central Falls, not Pawtucket RI. If you recieve this meassage, please contact me. Thanks......

Posted: 28 Jun 2010 7:55PM GMT
Where in Massachusetts. My Healy/Healey's were in Ware.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic