Search for content in message boards

Heston family

Heston family

Posted: 23 Apr 2002 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am doing the genealogy line on the Heston family. My husband great grandmother was Etta Vallaise Heston, she married my husband great grandfather Chauncey R. Flitcraft Sr. they lived in Alliance, Ohio all their life. Her obituary said that she was born on August 28, 1901 and her parents are Cyrus Lucian Heston and Sue Gilmore. We know at some point they moved to California in the area of Apple Valley. We know that she past away on Dec. 15, 1971, but we have know information on Cyrus Lucian Heston or any of his family. I have lots of names but nothing to put them in the right order they should go. I would appreciate any help that you could give me. Lucinda Schmied

Re: Heston family

Karen George (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2005 11:02AM GMT
Surnames: Heston, Gilmore
Sue Gilmore’s name rang a bell with me because of some research I have been doing to try and identify the people named in a group of family photographs. I have been using the 1840-1930 Census to track the family of CYRUS HESTON (1837-1931) and his wife Lydia Allman, who lived in Fairfield Township, Columbiana County, Ohio.

In the 1900 Census, Sumner Heston (38) is shown living in Fairfield Township, Columbiana County, Ohio with his wife Irene Stackhouse (39) and five of their six children, Carl (14), Marie (11), Harriet (8), Ruth (5) and Donald (2).

Also in the 1900 Census, Willard Heston (28) (Sumner’s brother) is shown living in Fairfield Township, Columbiana County, Ohio with his wife Hattie (30) and their children Allen (5) and Lydia (2), in the household of his father-in-law, William Garrett, and SUSAN J. GILMORE (23), servant.

In the 1910 Census, Cyrus Heston (72) (Sumner and Willard’s father, now widowed) is shown living in Fairfield Township, Columbiana County, Ohio in the household of his daughter Linnie (41) (Sumner and Willard’s sister), her husband JOHN GILMORE (40), and their children Cyrus (12), Leroy (9), Cora (5) and Earl (2).

Also in the 1910 Census, Sumner Heston (48) is shown living in Salem City, Perry Township, Columbiana County, Ohio with his wife SUE (32) and their children E. VALLAISE (8), Chester (7), James (4) and Ruby (1 4/12). Sumner and Sue had been married 9 years in 1910.

Then, in the 1920 Census, Sumner Heston (57) is shown living in Unity Township, Columbiana County, Ohio with his wife Mary A. and daughter Mary B (14). There is either a story here, or a mistake.

Cyrus Heston (1837-1931) and his wife Lydia Allman had nine children, eight of whom survived to 1900. Looking at the 1870, 1880 and 1900 Censuses, Cyrus and Lydia had a child (or children) identified as LUCIAN (age 5 in 1870), Luthran (age 14 in 1880), and Lewis (age 34 in 1900).

There certainly are limitations to what we can learn from the Census, but I hope there may be something here that will help you. If it looks like this family fits yours, I have more information about Cyrus' parents and some of the other children that I can share with you.

Re: Heston family

Pat Heston Horn (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2005 4:02PM GMT
In my Dad's records, I have it that Lavay Vallaise 'Etta' Heston, b 28Aug1901; d 15Dec1971, m Chauncey D. R. Flitcraft, b 01May1894, Alliance, OH. Lavay & Chauncey resided in Alliance, OH, all their lives & they were Quaker. Lavay's parents were Lucian Chester Heston & Susan Josephine 'Sue' Gilmore. Lavay's brother, Chester Lucian 'Charles' or 'Chuck' Heston, b 05Feb1903; d Sep1955, married Lila Charlton & became the stepfather of Charlton Carter who early in life opted to take the surname of Heston although never formally adopted by Chester. Chester was an expert archer & much admired by Charlton. Lucian Chester Heston, b 22Jul1865, Fairfield Twp, Columbiana Co, OH, son of Cyrus Heston & Phebe Elma Hall; m Columbiana Co, OH, 24Oct1900, Susan Josephine 'Sue' Gilmore, b 27Sep1876, Little Beaver, Beaver Co, PA; dau of Richard Gilmore & Mary Richie. Cyrus Heston, b 15Jan1938, nr canal just E of Kensington, Hanover Twp, Columbiana Co, OH; d 1931, Piqua, OH; son of John Heston & Linea Myers, m Columbiana Co, OH, 25Mar1863, Phebe Elma Hall, Jefferson Co, OH; d 10Jan1947, dau of Linton Hall & Ann W. Allmon. This line can be traced back to the original Zebulon Heston & Dorothy Hutchinson. Please contact me if you wish additional information. Thanks, Pat Heston Horn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions