Search for content in message boards

Petersburg, VA & Maryland Connections

Petersburg, VA & Maryland Connections

Posted: 31 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 2:28AM GMT
Surnames: ANDREWS, DABNEY, LUFSEY, PERKINSON, RENSHAW, TRAYLOR
I am seeking people with one or two of these names named in their lineage. Have found many cousins recently, and would like to find more. These names are all from the Petersburg, Virginia area. The RENSHAW family moved to Petersburg after the Civil War. Thank you.

Re: Petersburg, VA & Maryland Connections

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: Renshaw in Maryland, Morris in Delaware
Tina,

My grandfather is from Maryland and his name is Leonard Renshaw. His daughter, Emily, is my mother. I have only been able to go back a couple of generations in Maryland - his father was Archibald Renshaw and I think his grandfather was Thaddeus W. Renshaw. Somewhere in my sister's attic are records going back much further from research my grandmother did but I haven't been able to get hold of them yet. Her name was Violet Morris and she is descended from Robert Morris who signed the Declaration of Independence and was the "Financier for the American Revolution".

Mary Kay

Posted: 28 Sep 2003 10:45PM GMT
Hi Mary,

I must have missed this message you sent a long time ago. My Renshaws appear in the 1880 census in Trappe, Wicomico, Maryland.

Descendants of William Thomas Renshaw

1 William Thomas Renshaw 1834 -
.. +Martha Ann Edwards 1844 -
........ 2 William James Renshaw I 1863 - 1925
............ +Susan E. Andrews 1860 - 1916
........ *2nd Wife of William James Renshaw I:
............ +Anna Lucretia Swain 1890 - 1941
........ 2 Esther L. Renshaw 1867 -
............ +Samuel Taylor
........ 2 Annie D. Renshaw 1868 - 1949
........ 2 Mary H. Renshaw 1870 -
........ 2 Infant Renshaw 1871 -
........ 2 Rose E. Renshaw 1873 -
........ 2 Robert Henry L. Renshaw 1876 -
............ +Elsie Unknown
........ 2 Charles Earnest Renshaw, Sr. 1877 - 1955
............ +Eve Woodland 1881 -
........ *2nd Wife of Charles Earnest Renshaw, Sr.:
............ +Mary Alice Fisher

This is what I have on the two oldest generations. The parents of William Thomas Renshaw were born in Maryland, according to the 1880 census. Martha Ann Edwards was born in Virginia. Her parents were also. In the 1880 census, her brother Meredith K. Edwards is with this family.

I know they were in Chesterfield County in 1882 for the wedding of their daugther Esther L. Renshaw. She married a Samuel Taylor in Chesterfield. The marriage record gives her name as Hester.

William James Renshaw married my g grandmother Susan E. Andrews. She was from Dinwiddie County. They lived in Petersburg and possibly Winchester, VA. William and Susan separated. He moved to Danville, VA, married again and had another family.

Within the past year or so, I found a descendant of Charles Earnest Renshaw. This family is still in Maryland. That descendant is the only one I have been able to find from the children of William and Martha, excluding the descendants of William James, my great grandfather.

I've been stuck on this branch of my tree for several years.

Have you been about to find the old genealogy research data of your grandmother's>

Posted: 6 Apr 2004 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Renshaw, Jansen, Green, Greene, Shayak, King, Fisher, Edwards
I am researching the Renshaws of Maryland. I would appreciate any help you could send me. I have up as far as William Thomas Renshaw married to Martha Ann Edwards.

Posted: 8 Apr 2004 1:13AM GMT
Hi Jennifer,

I'm also stuck at William Thomas Renshaw. Which one of William and Martha's children is your ancestor?

Tina

Posted: 8 Apr 2004 12:02PM GMT
Surnames: Renshaw
Virginia,

William Thomas Renshaw I believe is the Great Grandfather.
1. William Thomas Renshaw - Martha Ann Edwards
2. Charles E. Renshaw I - Mary Alice Fisher
3. Charles E. Renshaw II - Isabelle Elizabeth Jansen
4. Thomas Matthew Renshaw - Jennifer

We have asked his father and his answer was Charles and Mary. And that's all he knows. If you find anything out please let me know. If I find anything out I will let you know.
Thanks,
Jen

Posted: 8 Apr 2004 12:04PM GMT
Virginia,

We have asked his father and his answer was Charles and Mary. And that's all he knows. If you find anything out please let me know. If I find anything out I will let you know.
Thanks,
Jen

Posted: 8 Apr 2004 12:04PM GMT
Virginia,

Thanks,
Jen

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 12:52PM GMT
Surnames: Renshaw, Perkinson, Traylor, Dabney, Lufsey
My father was William James Renshaw of Petersburg and his mother's name was Sarah Perkinson. My mother was Estelle Traylor. My sister Eunice Kelly is the family historian. She lives in Lima, Ohio. I remember the name Dabney from my childhood. I believe one of my mother's sisters married a Dabney. I am not familiar with the Lufsey name though.

Posted: 1 Mar 2014 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: Renshaw & Lufsey
Hi Carolyn,

I've sent you a private message thru this Ancestry.com message board. Please check your messages. You and I are cousins. Gail and I have known each other for years, and have shared out research. My grandparents were Mattie Renshaw and James Lufsey of Peterburg.

Tina Ellis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic