Search for content in message boards

Gilliam's of VA, as in 1904 Richmond Times Dispatch

Gilliam's of VA, as in 1904 Richmond Times Dispatch

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 3:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Aug 2012 3:18PM GMT
Surnames: Gilliam, Poythress, Skelton, Eppes, Harrison, Duncan, Bathurst, others
There is an article about the Gilliam family in the December 18, 1904 edition of the Richmond Times Dispatch, page 36, which states the Gilliam’s were originally “Guillaume” and were of Norman descent. I relate this information as it was printed. My interest is in the Gilliam's who married into the Poythress family, if anyone has information to share about those, I would love to know more. Anyway, the article states:

"The ancestor of the Prince George County, VA, family was JOHN GUILLAUME, who came to Virginia bout 1680. Having purchased land on the Appomattox River, near Petersburg, he patented December 23, 1714, several islands in the river adjacent. He called his land “Montalto,” probably from the church of St. Mary de Montalto in the city of London, one of the churches set apart for the use of the French Protestant refugees, and named the island after the streets surrounding this church, Rosemary Lane, Bread Street, Pie Alley, etc. It further states that a genealogy of this family appears in ‘Slaughter’s History of Bristol Parish (1879),” but that this source contains many errors and omissions. [The article then goes on to say that:] JOHN GILLIAM married ANN PATHURST (sic), and left two children (as far as is now known, although there was a John Gilliam, Jr. in Prince George in 1732), William and Elizabeth.

[Further pedigree given]: WILLIAM GILLIAM married ELIZABETH, daughter of COLONEL PETER POYTHRESS of Flower de Hundred.

Their children were:
1) Robert, married Lucy Skelton, daughter of Dr. James and Jane (Meriwether) Skelton of Elk Island, Hanover County (now Goochland)
2) William married Christine Eppes
3) John married Jane Christine Eppes
4) Jane married Charles Duncan
5) Elizabeth married Nathaniel Harrison of Berkeley

"The portrait of Lucy Skelton, of her husband Robert Gilliam; her mother, Meriwether Skelton, from whom she received Elk Island by will and of her eldest son, John Gilliam, are now in the possession of Mr. Robert Gilliam, clerk of the Hastings Court of Petersburg. The will of Lucy Skelton is on record in Prince George County and states how she acquired Elk island. A copy of this has been published in the Wm & Mary Quarterly. Robert Gilliam, the husband of Lucy Skelton, was sheriff of Prince George County before the Revolution, and was one of the vestries of old Blandford Church in 1789.

"THE CHILDREN OF ROBERT and LUCY (SKELTON) GILLIAM were:
1) John, born 6 March 1761, died 6 July 1823, married 21 March 1787 (doesn’t say whom, but the article continues with the children of John Gilliam and Hannah Sampson)
2) James Skelton, a prominent physician of Petersburg, born August 1763, died 28 March 1814, married Mary, daughter of Dr. Theo Felid.
3) Reuben Meriwether, never married
4) Meriwether Skelton, married Elizabeth Manson and left no issue
5) Elizabeth Bathurst married David Buchanan, of Glasgow, Scotland
6) Anne (sic!) –[assume a son, here!] married Elizabeth Currie of Lancaster Co, VA
7) Susan Bathurst, died unmarried
8) Jane, married Armistead Currie of Lancaster County, VA

"THE CHILDREN OF JOHN and HANNAH (SAMPSON) GILLIAM were:
1) Ann, born 187 September 1790, died 5 January 1791
2) Elizabeth Buchannan, born 1 January 1794, married Robert Batte of Prince George Co., VA
3) Robert, born 17 September 1796, died 9 June 1884, married Charlotte Isabella Sanxay, boron 25 June 1817, died 11 November 1904, daughter of Richard Davenport and Emily Tabitha (Gordon) Sanxay.
4) Lucy Ann, born 20 April 1799, died 26 December 1873, married first Nathaniel B. Sturdivant, second Rev. N.A. Okeson, D.D.
5) William, born 9 January 1802, died unmarried 13 April 1842
6) Jane Sophia, born 29 December 1803, married Cadmus Archer of Chesterfield Co, VA
7) James Skelton, colonel Ninth Virginia Regiment, C.S.A., born 13 April 1806, married first Catherine Birchett, and second Elizabeth Massenberg

"THE CHILDREN OF ROBERT and CHARLOTTE ISABELLA (Saxxay) (sic) GILLIAM were:
1) Mary Eppes, married William D. Porter, son of Commodore William D. Porter, U.S.N.
2) Lucy Skelton, married George W. Tennent, assistant engineer, C.S.N.
3) Emily Anna, married F.E.R. Hall
4) Charlotte Isabella
5) Robert, married first [Sue T. Burk? Hard to read], and second Mary Love, daughter of ex-Governor Bragg of North Carolina
6) Eliza, married Lt. Robert Carter Braxton, C.S.A: Lilla M[eriwether?] died unmarried; Sophia, married David F. Bowden
7) John, married Jennie Sowers
8) Richard Davenport, married Irene Jones
9) Ellen, unmarried, and Charles Macalester, married Blanche Bragg Sims of Raleigh, NC.

Re: Gilliam's of VA, as in 1904 Richmond Times Dispatch

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 10:37AM GMT
The article you quote also was published in The Richmond Standard on
April 16, 1881. Number 211.

Unfortunately, it contained several errors:

See my www.gilliamsofvirginia.org/Topical/Richmond%20Standard/Richm...

The Poythress family and the Gilliam family have numerous connections. Some of my information regarding the Gilliams of Virginia and in particularly the Gilliams and Poythresses may be found at

www.gilliamsofvirginia.org/index.html

I look forward to further discussion.

Greg Gilliam

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Gilliam
Dear Greg, Thank you! I would very much like to discuss this with you. I have been trying to get the various Poythress marriages with the Gilliam family straight in my mind.

Did ELIZABETH POYTHRESS (dau of Robert Poythress [abt 1690-abt 1743]) marry a JOHN GILLIAM? I have also seen reference to an ANN POYTHRESS (dau of a Capt. Francis Poythress) marrying a JOHN GILLIAM [they had a son William Gilliam who married Mary Jarrett]?

As an aside, I have a William Gilliam who married Fanny Walton, daughter of Newell Walton and Agnes Woolfolk. Haven’t looked into this matter further.

Always interested in learning more. Thanks again. Virginia

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 11:37PM GMT
Virginia,

Robert Poythress' daughter Elizabeth married John Gilliam, the Elder of Prince George. John Gilliam and Elizabeth named their first born son Robert, after Robert Poythress. This is the Robert Gilliam that married Lucy Skelton. Robert Poythress' Will refers to daughter, Elizabeth Gilliam, and John Gilliam. There is debate over the parentage of this John Gilliam. Most believe him to be the son of Ann and John Gilliam who left a Will dated 1739 in Prince George. I have not confirmed this. Ann is often given as a Bathurst, but this is also not confirmed, though the name was used by descendants.

The exact parentage of William Gilliam that married Mary Jarratt is not known. Since Mary hailed from New Kent County, it seems most likely that William hailed from New Kent as well. It appears that William is the son of William and Elizabeth Gilliam of New Kent and brother of Richard. Richard's daughter Ann married William and Mary's son, Jarratt, on 15 Feb 1787 in Bedford. Ann was Jarratt's first wife. William names a son Richard.

I would like to learn more about William Gilliam who married Fanny Walton, daughter of Newell Walton and Agnes Woolfolk. Do you have dates or places?

Greg

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 11:37PM GMT
Virginia,

Robert Poythress' daughter Elizabeth married John Gilliam, the Elder of Prince George. John Gilliam and Elizabeth named their first born son Robert, after Robert Poythress. This is the Robert Gilliam that married Lucy Skelton. Robert Poythress' Will refers to daughter, Elizabeth Gilliam, and John Gilliam. There is debate over the parentage of this John Gilliam. Most believe him to be the son of Ann and John Gilliam who left a Will dated 1739 in Prince George. I have not confirmed this. Ann is often given as a Bathurst, but this is also not confirmed, though the name was used by descendants.

The exact parentage of William Gilliam that married Mary Jarratt is not known. Since Mary hailed from New Kent County, it seems most likely that William hailed from New Kent as well. It appears that William is the son of William and Elizabeth Gilliam of New Kent and brother of Richard. Richard's daughter Ann married William and Mary's son, Jarratt, on 15 Feb 1787 in Bedford. Ann was Jarratt's first wife. William names a son Richard.

I would like to learn more about William Gilliam who married Fanny Walton, daughter of Newell Walton and Agnes Woolfolk. Do you have dates or places?

Greg

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 11:54PM GMT
Surnames: Gilliam, Walton
Thanks. I do appreciate the input very much! I'm going to keep digging into these folks.

NEWELL WALTON, born in 1763, died 1834, married Agnes Woolfolk, daughter of William Woolfolk of Hanover County, VA. Newell Walton was a private in Second Division, Virginia Militia, in 1781. He was married in [Augusta] GA after the Revolutionary War, and was the father of ten children:
1) Garland, married Sally Hardy
2) Elizabeth, married her cousin, Newell Walton
3) Nancy, married ____Harris
4) Polly, married James Simms
5) Fanny, married WILLIAM GILLIAM
6) Robert, married NANCY GILLIAM
7) Joseph, married Elizabeth Birdwhistle
8) Ira, married ____ Bland
9) William, married Eveline Wyann
10) Adeline, died in infancy

Newell Walton was the son of John Walton of New Kent and Hanover County, VA, and Mary Sims. (Mary Sims Walton is a DAR ancestor, known to have furnished supplies in Hanover Co.)

Do these two Gilliam's ring a bell?

Thanks again, Virginia

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 2:07AM GMT
Virginia,
I think this might shed some light on William Gilliam and Nancy Gilliam.

23 Oct 1806
Estate of Jean Tatom
Returns of estate.
Personal property appraised 8 Sep 1806 by Peter Gillum, David Murray, Newell Walton, Jr.
Sale 23 Oct 1806.
Lincoln County, GA, Will Book B, page 94

The name Peter is relatively rare among Gilliams.

This Peter Gilliam of Lincoln County, GA should not be confused with Peter Gilliam who died in Wilkes County, GA about 1794 or his heirs, for the Peter of Wilkes did not have any male heirs other than a Charles who never married. It appears this Charles was infirm as his mother Ann, makes special provisions for him.

It appears that Peter of the Will of Jean Tatom which also mentions Newell Walton, Jr., is related to the Peter and William and John Gilliam of Hanover County, VA. It should be noted that the Woolfolks have Hanover County roots and the Waltons have New Kent County roots. The Gilliams of Hanover have their roots in New Kent.

A William Gilliam of Hanover marries Ann Sims the daughter of James Sims and appears that these Waltons also married into the Sims family. I need to trace these lines and see if these two Sims lines are indeed related and if so, how closely.

Here is one record of Peter and William Gilliam in Hanover.

Virginia Gazette
27 Feb 1772
To be sold, pursuant to the Will of Peter GILLUM, deceased, on Thursday, the 4th of June next at Hanover Courthouse, being Court Day.
A tract of land containing three hundred and sixty acres, with a plantation, orchards of all sorts of fruit trees, and about seventy acres of cleared land. It lies about five miles above Hanover Courthouse, and is very well wooded and watered. Six months credit will be allowed for one half the money, and twelve months for the other, giving bond, with approved security to William & John GILLUM, executors.
An undoubted title will be made.

Greg

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Gilliam, Walton
Thank you, Greg. I appreciate the insight into William and Nancy Gilliam, and will keep you notes. I haven't looked into the Gilliam's of Georgia. Actually, I haven't really looked into the Gilliam's at all before now.

Interestingly, there was another Newell Walton (just as with your two Peter Gilliam's). This other Newell Walton was the son of a George Walton (born in Hanover Co., VA, moved to Lincoln Co., GA) and Elizabeth Jennings. He was born about 1762 and died April 1825 in Lincoln County, GA. He had a son, Newell Walton, Jr., who married Fanny Jones.

Certainly can be confusing sometimes, can't it!

Thanks again. And if you have anything to share on the Poythress's, I'm particularly interested in them, as well.

Best, Virginia

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 11:21AM GMT
I have some good information on the Poythresses. Which ones are you interested in? Have you seen the online R. Bolling Batte Papers (Cards) at the Library of Virginia? They have proven to be quite helpful.

The cards are not indexed. One has to "flip" through them but they are worth the time. There is about 200 of them.

Here's the link. Scroll down to the name Poythress. After a few introductory cards, the cards are alphabetized by given name. Sometimes Poythress spouses are filed under their maiden names.

www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/opac/ba.html#search

This Poythress page was built off the Batte cards.

www.poythress.net/batte.html

Greg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions