Search for content in message boards

Plinks of Malaga

Plinks of Malaga

Vicki McConnell (View posts)
Posted: 24 Feb 2001 2:16AM GMT
I am seeking info on my g-g-g-grandparents.I know that his name was Nicholas Plink and he was the Hanoverian Consul at Malaga and he married Anna de Teba. They had three daughters that I know of; Anna ( my gg grandmother) Maria Dolores and Juanita. Anna married George Forbes Thompson in Gibraltar in 1812. I would like to find out if they died in Spain or did they return to Germany? Please email me with any info, Thanks

Plinks of Malaga

Posted: 2 Jun 2001 8:34PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2003 2:33AM GMT
Vicki

I would love to get in touch with you privately in relation to the Plinks. I am also related through Anna Catalina Plink and Col George Forbes Thompson. Their daughter Julia Maria Dolores Thompson is my GGG Grandmother who married Rev John Nibbs Garland. You can email me at Kelly.Garland@adm.monash.edu.au .

I have a different name as Nicholas Plink's wife (Isabel Nagel) but we have yet to prove the relationship. It's a bit of a story that I'd be happy to share with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Kelly Garland-Gobbi (nee Garland)

Re: Plinks of Malaga

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 10:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Anna Plink, George Forbes Thompson
In looking up George Forbes Thompson, I found this titbit about the death of his wife in Nova Scotia.

What happened to Anna Maria Thompson?

Dartmouth. Halifax Nova Scotia

"The land on which golf architect Graham Cooke has carved out the first ever "Executive" golf course to be built in Nova Scotia, is steeped in the history of the province. The land was initially occupied by 500 - 600 "Maroons", natives of Jamaica, who came to Nova Scotia in 1796 to work on the construction of the Halifax Citadel. By 1800 the Maroons had departed for Sierra Leone and the Hon. Charles Morris II acquired 500 acres at a public auction for three hundred pounds. In 1803 he erected a summer home on an eighty foot hillock overlooking Lake Loon, which lay 150 yards to the west. There he and his large family spent each summer until his death in 1831 at which time his widow, Charlotte, made the site her permanent residence. With her death in 1844 the estate sold the property.
The Lake Loon House, as the property was known locally, was then acquired by Col. George F. Thompson, recently retired from the Royal Engineers. He arrived with his young wife/mistress and an invalid aunt, whose mental condition was such she was kept locked in a room. Local residents who worked for Col. Thompson reported that the invalid aunt was in fact Mrs. Thompson, who in turn was said to have been a relative of Empress Eugene of France, wife of Napoleon III. Rumours ran rampant and the townships of Preston and Lawrencetown exploded when the death of the invalid aunt was reported. She was quickly buried in the old Roman Catholic Cemetery, Geary Street, Dartmouth. As Thompson belonged to the Church of England the public furor only increased. Finally the authorities ordered an autopsy and Mrs. Thompson was disinterred and for three days the coroner heard testimony which covered ninety pages of evidence. No fault was found although the jury did rule the deceased "...had not experienced the care and attention that her situation required". Such was the obloquy heaped upon Thompson that he soon sold the estate and departed for England."

http://www.thelinksatmontague.com/index.php/the-course/our-h...

222 Montague Road, Dartmouth, NOVA SCOTIA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic