Search for content in message boards

death of Rootsweb?

death of Rootsweb?

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 12:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Due to sensitivities around the information in this database, the Social Security Death Index collection is not available on our free Rootsweb service but is accessible to search on Ancestry.com. Visit the Social Security Death Index page to be directly connected to this collection

One more piece gone, now requiring Ancestry registration.

Sad.

Re: death of Rootsweb?

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 3:04AM GMT
The only "sensitivity" is those who feel our cash in their pockets.

Scum.

Posted: 14 Dec 2011 2:47PM GMT
Why are there "sensitivity" concerns only when using the Soc. Sec. Death Index is free? When you are required to pay large sums to use a very basic tool, that issue magically disappears?

Such disengenuousness is disappointing.

Goodbye Rootsweb.

Posted: 11 May 2012 4:02PM GMT
very pathetic! I used to have a subscription to ancestry.com AND I used the free tools in Rootsweb. Now, since Ancestry has seen fit to hijak Rootsweb, I have flat out REFUSED to renew my subscription to Ancestry.com I have been emailing Rootsweb help (aka Ancestry) for days about the fact that the system wont even allow me access to my OWN tree that I had previously uploaded to Rootsweb. No response! How nice that they have now hijaked my tree as well!

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 1:16AM GMT
JeannieAdame69,
Have you gotten any help yet. I contacted Ancestry.com about my family tree on Rootsweb, which is the same tree as World Connect on Ancestry.com. They said they could do nothing to help. Someone somewhere must be able to access the information somehow.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 2:48AM GMT
There's no World Connect on Ancestry.com.

If you've uploaded a tree to rootsweb.com World Connect (WCT), that same tree data is VIEWABLE ONLY on Ancestry.com in AWT (Ancestry World Tree). ATW is so buried on the Ancestry site, only experienced ACOM site users know how to find it. AWT trees DO NOT generate "hints" or returns when someone is doing a global search on Ancestry.com. If you choose to have your tree on rootsweb.com WCT, it boggles the mind why having it viewable on Ancestry is a causing angst.

If you remove your tree from rootsweb World Connect, it's goes "poof" (it disappears) from AWT as well. You cannot go reverse, ie; remove (or upload an updated GED) a rootsweb WCT from AWT on the Ancestry site.

If you can't remove your WCT (see attachments), contact rootsweb support.

Please note: Ancestry World Tree and Ancestry Member Tree are two entirely different animals. They don't interact with one another.

In regard to the SSDI, it's free on familysearch.org and other sites. Ancestry choose to remove it on the rootsweb site, that's their prerogative, like it or not. Complaining about losing "free" is tiresome, what does Ancestry owe you exactly? The index data has been augmented on every (free or subscription) site to comply with a (fairly) recent US Congressional mandate.

Attachments:

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 2:04PM GMT
Actually when I referenced WCT I meant AWT. What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to access my family tree on WCT and update it. I believe I originally put it on through Ancestry.com. I have tried to get my user code and password for my tree, but the rootsweb keeps telling me I have no tree registered with that email address. I mispelled my email in my actual WCT family tree and wrote hotmial rather than hotmail, but when I put the misspelled hotmail address in it still says there is no tree registered with that email. I have emailed rootsweb for help and have not gotten a reply. If you have any suggestions I would very much appreciated it. Thanks.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 4:12PM GMT
No, I have gotten absolutely no help. Ancestry.com told em the same thing, that they couldnt help. They said I had to contact directly. I have emailed the Rootsweb helpdesk several times and they have never answered me. It makes me furious that it is my tree, and now I have no control over it!

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 11:32AM GMT
The way to contact the RootsWeb HelpDesk is through their Help page at http://rootsweb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rootsweb.cfg/php/enduse...

Click the "Ask a question" tab and follow the directions.

Be sure to give them all the necessary information, e.g. your current email address, the email address appearing on the tree, old and new usernames, etc.

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 1:16PM GMT
Thank you, but that is exactly what I have done 5 or 6 times over the last 6 months and I have never once received a response.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions