Search for content in message boards

This may be the sloooooowest site on the internet

This may be the sloooooowest site on the internet

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 5:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
I realize that it is free to post gedcoms, and to search for names on other people's charts here on rootsweb WorldConnect, but since this website crashed about August 21, it just takes for-ev-er to do anything on this website.

It's not as if ancestry.com has no money to pay to speed things up here on WorldConnect. I mean the slowness really is ridiculous and uncalled for.

Somebody needs do SOMETHING to speed this website up.

Re: This may be the sloooooowest site on the internet

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 4:10PM GMT
I am not seeing any slowness from here. Is there a specific aspect that is acting slow for you?

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 11:45PM GMT
The problem is when I update one of my posted gedcoms by replacing it with an updated version. It is sooo slooow. It never used to be so slow before August 21. I waited six weeks before complaining here, but nobody else posted about the issue, and nobody fixed it, so I finally decided to post about the problem. You didn't say it was, but it's not an issue with my high speed internet service. The problem lies in this website.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 2:55PM GMT
Is the upload itself slow?
Is the processing after upload slow (should happen within a few minutes)?
Is the getting into the search index slow (should be overnight in most cases)?

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 3:49PM GMT
I start the process by clicking on "Start Here", in the upper right corner of the main page. It then takes 21 seconds before the page changes to the next page, which is a listing of my trees.

I then click on the tree I want to update, and it takes 11 seconds before it goes to the Tree Information page, so I can click on "Replace Tree with New GEDCOM".

I click on that, and it takes another 10 seconds to go to the next page where I can click on "Browse" so I can choose the file in my computer that I want to upload.

At that point I upload the file and I'm done.

Now maybe that doesn't sound too terribly long. But I often update two or three or even four gedcoms in succession, and each step in each one takes the same length of time. This website wasn't nearly so slow before August 21.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 5:17PM GMT
Wow. Investigating now.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 5:40PM GMT
Have found an issue and am looking for solution. Stay tuned.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:11PM GMT
I've fixed one issue that was causing a 10 second delay. I'm still looking for more issues. See if that has helped any.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 8:58PM GMT
It's much better now, with one exception.

The first page change improved from 21 to 16 seconds.

The other two page changes went from 11 and 10 seconds, to immediate page changes.

I appreciate the fixes, and I appreciate your efforts to see if you can speed up the first page change any further.

Larry

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 9:59PM GMT
I'm getting next to no slowness on the first link from here now. Hopefully it is faster for you as well.

Sorry about the slowness and thank you very much for letting me know so that I could find/fix the problem.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions