Search for content in message boards

Jacksons of Ireland

Jacksons of Ireland

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 9:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
In doing my geneaology research I found I am related to the Jackson family. James Jackson (1720-1789) was born in Carrickfurgus, Antrim County, Ireland. I then read about Pres. Andrew Jackson's father being born there also. I am trying to see if there is a good chance that the President's father is related to my Jackson relative. My Jackson's father was Thomas Jackson, of England.

Re: Jacksons of Ireland

Posted: 28 Aug 2011 2:44PM GMT
There is a good chance he is one of those who I have yet to discover that moved south from Antrim into Co. Down. SEE: http://www.thesilverbowl.com/familytree/JACKSON-Co-Down.html
If you have more on him and his descendents, that would be useful.
Good luck,
Sharon Oddie Brown

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: Jackson
I had my brother do a DNA test, and we match 2 other people exactly. It stated that our families came from Europe. I am not sure if there are any connections between our lines. If you haven't done so already, you might benefit from having a male do a DNA test for your Jackson line. It might give you the information you need.

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 7:11PM GMT
Which line of Irish JACKSONs did you connect to?
Sharon Oddie Brown
www.thesilverbowl.com

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 7:46PM GMT
I descend from a Thomas Jackson, born 1692 in Ireland. The other lines and mine connect at Daniel Jackson, born 1778 in Virgina. We each descend from a different son. They have connected themselves to Daniel, but I haven't. I have only connected to them via DNA. I have a gap between my great great grandpa James Edward Jackson, estimated birth 1830 in SC I believe, and Daniel. I believe I descend from either Daniels son John or Joseph, as these are names that run down through a few generations. If you have any thing that could help me, I would so appreciate it.
Gwen Jackson

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 8:30PM GMT
I will be working on this, along with a number of other JACKSON lines. I will be in Ireland in a week or so. Anything else you can give me: dates, place of birth, profession - all may be helpful. I will be posting on my web site as I learn more. There is an email link to me there.
Sharon Oddie Brown.
www.thesilverbowl.com

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 9:19PM GMT
Here is what I have in my tree, not much to go but might help.
Thomas Jackson born 1692 Kilenure,Leinster,Ireland, wife unknown
Child: Issac Jackson born 1717 in Ireland (I believe) and died 1785 in Virginia, USA. Married Elizabeth Caiborne Lawson. They had 6 children, Daniel being on of them, all born in the USA.

I have a lot of males farther back, but only one child for each and no wives. I will list them for your research, as you never know what might be helpful. All were still in Europe.

Richard Jackson-1505-1562 (England)
Anthony Jackson-1535-1607 (England)
Richard Jackson-1569- ? (England)
Anthony Jackson-1594-1666 (b-England, d-Ireland)
Thomas Jackson-1656-? (Ireland)
Thomas Jackson 1692-? Kilenure,Leinster,Ireland

Hope this helps! Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Gwen Jackson

Posted: 11 Sep 2011 10:01PM GMT
As it turns out, I have done a fair bit on that lot.
SEE: http://www.thesilverbowl.com/familytree/JACKSON-Quaker-Tree....

I would suspect that this is a slam dunk with respect to your Thomas _ see footnote #15.

With respect to your Daniel - see:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

More recent updates will appear as I post them at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=silverbow...

I'd like to hear if this makes sense. The DNA link is very interesting.
Sharon Oddie Brown
www.thesilverbowl.com

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 12:54AM GMT
Thank you so much! Yes it makes sense and will fill in many blanks, I am sure.
Yes, the DNA is rather intriguing. I had no idea that this doesn't happen often. The people genealogical society, here in Santa Barbara,California, thought I was kidding when I asked about matching 36 out of 36 with 2 other lines. Now they use my story all the time, when talking about DNA. It would be so exciting to actually have the connection between us, with all blanks filled. It might make a bigger impression on someone who is wondering weather to do it or not.

Gwen

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 2:49PM GMT
My James Jackson was born in 1720 in Ireland and died 1789 in Guildford County North Carolina. His son, James, was born in Virginia in 1748. I went back and looked at my tree where I had a Thomas Jackson as James Sr's father however he died many years before James was born but that's what other people had as the information. So now I don't know who James Sr's father was.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic