Search for content in message boards

2nd Regiment of Foot

2nd Regiment of Foot

Posted: 16 Oct 2007 8:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone give me the exact name of this Regiment as its difficult with so many Regiments of Foot.

I have a birth certificate from 1865 in East Stonehouse in Devon (if that helps).

The father is listed as being a Private in 2nd Regiment of Foot. What is this short for and where could I find their deployments from then until 1881?

I have looked on regiments.org but with so many I'm not sure where to start.

Thank you.

Re: 2nd Regiment of Foot

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 12:09PM GMT
2nd Regt were the Queens Royal Regt of Foot until 1881, then the name changed to the Queens Royal West Surrey Regt

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/002WSurr.htm

The regiment had 2 regular battalions at the time, so he could have been in either:
http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/002-1.htm
http://www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/002-2.htm
Since you have him in Devon in 1865 I'd say 1st Btn was the more likely.

Can you give us his name? Could try a few lookups for you.

Re: HODGES - 2nd Regiment of Foot

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 7:51PM GMT
Surnames: HODGES
The father's name was Isaac Hodges and he was born in Publow, Somerset in 1838. His son from the birth certificate was called Frederick Hodges and he too joined the Royal West Surrey regiment.

I was thinking that Frederick was in Surrey at some time but it seems not he obviously joined the same regiment as his father.

Any information you have would be really appreciated.

I am going to look at the links you have kindly given.

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Military
I've managed to find one reference to Isaac Hodges from the LSGC medal roll (Long Service & Good Conduct medal):

405 Private Isaac Hodges, 1st Bn, 2nd Regt of Foot
recommended for his LSGC medal on 1 Jan 1878

In that era he would have had to complete 18 years exemplary service to be considered for the LSGC, which would put his enlistment at c.1859.

The battalion were on active service in China in 1860, but his name doesn't appear on that roll (presumably he didn't make it out there in time)

Posted: 18 Oct 2007 9:21PM GMT
That's wonderful - his son who also received a long service and good conduct medal.

He appears on a UK census in 1881 as a pensioner and gardener but strangely on the 1891 he is listed as an employed boot finisher. On the 1901 he is back to being a pensioner and living on own means - maybe he hit hard times. Still I suppose a private didn't have a huge pension.

As to your comment about him not being on active service he must have been somewhere because I've never found him on a UK census for 1861.

Many thanks for all your help and information.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions