Search for content in message boards

Agnes Baca and/or John Anthony Werner

Agnes Baca and/or John Anthony Werner

Posted: 17 Apr 2008 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
The above were my grandparents on my monther's side. My mother was Pauline Josephine Werner. Agnes came from Bernalillo and "Tony" from Albuquerque. They were born in 1895 and 1891. My grandfathers father was Tom Werner and his father was Melchior Werner. Any names or dates that can be added to my info would be wonderful; Agnes' mother's name, Agnes' father's first name, "Tony's" mother's name. Thanks.

Re: Agnes Baca and/or John Anthony Werner

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 12:53AM GMT
If it may help you:
I "googled" Melchior Werner, and found him to be listed in the book "History of New Mexico-It's Resources and People"-as having come to NM in 1849,from Germany. He built and owned the Centennial Hotel in Albuquerque,was the postmaster of Bernalillo by 1862, worked as a probate clerk from about 1862 until his death in Sept of 1883.

A picture of his hotel is at the bottom of this page:
http://www.cabq.gov/museum/history/oldtown.html

In the 1860 census, he lives in Taos,NM,age 30,working as a clerk.
In 1870,he is:
Werner,Melchior-40;;born Nassau?-Germany;farmer,postmaster
wife-Josefa-28;born NM
Roselia-16
Ventura-12
Tomas-10
Simona-7
(It is interesting to note that: in this year,Mrs.Werner owns $5000 worth of real estate and has $1000 worth of personal property--that's huge in that time!)
In 1880--they are a little murky;whether the children are adopted or not,or to him or her--who can say. Language barriers etc. affected answers given-
Werner,Melchior-50;born Germany;probate clerk
wife-Josefa-38
adopted son-Tomas-21;clerk
adopted daughter-Candelaria,Simona-15
adopted son-Adolfo-11

Then in 1900,Albuquerque:
Werner,Tomas-born Nov 1858;41;married 12yrs;born NM,father born France,mother born NM;bookkeeper
wife-Montoya,Genova-born Jan.1859;40;9 children born,5 living;born NM,father born MX,mother born NM
daughter-Teresita-born Apr.1888;12
son-JUAN ANTONIO- born June 1889;10
son-David-born Feb.1893;7
son-Mariano- born May 1896;4
daughter-Margarita-born Mar.1899;1

Based on age, this looks to be the family of Agnes in 1910 Albuquerque?
Baca,Estevan-42
Adela R.-39
Esequiel-22
Lolita-17
Agnes-15
Alfredo-11

John A.Werner registered for the WWI draft in Albuquerque in 1917; born June 24,1890 (these are often off by a year--could go either way!)born in Albuquerque. Lives at 916 N.11th, with is wife and 2 children. Works as an abstractor for the Albuquerque Title Guarantee Co. on Gold Ave.

It appears that Melchior Werner arrived in NM as a calvary soldier--his wife applied for a widows pension-her name(s) given on the application as "Werner,Josefa C" or "de Lucero Josefa C."

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 8:11AM GMT
Janet Wassen, I could hug and hug you! I never knew so much about my people. I knew my grandparents, but Agnes didn't talk much about hers, though I have a great picture of her parents,and now I know their names! I didn't know my grandfather wasn't really German. And all those names and birthdates, wow! Thank you so very much. I'm 61 and probably the last link between the past and the future. How did you do so much, and so quickly?

Posted: 9 Dec 2011 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: werner
I was looking for new information about my great-great grandfather Melchoir Werner and found your post. Tomas Werner was my grandmother's father. Her name was Teresita or Teresa Werner-Smith. My dad is Nick Smith, and he was very close to his Uncles Dave and Tony Werner. It's interesting to note that Tomas was adopted and his father was French. Anyway, it's been years since you made your inquery. I hope you and your family are well. If you would like to contact me, my email is domalley@cabq.gov. I currently serve on the Albuquerque City Council.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions