Search for content in message boards

Am I jewish?

Am I jewish?

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 1:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Zanko
My grandpa's name Yevman Zanko.We were told he has Jewish roots?Anyone could help us?

Re: Am I jewish?

Posted: 17 Oct 2009 7:59PM GMT
try jewishgen.org

need more info -what sources have you already used so we do not repeat them.....

were their children jewish????parents???

Posted: 20 Oct 2009 3:23AM GMT
'being jewish' is inherited by one's mother. if you could find out if your grandfather's mother was jewish- then yes, you have jewish roots.
if you know where your grandfather was from it would be easier to get more info.
good luck on the rest of your search

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 9:16PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2012 12:38AM GMT
Hi Vzanko, my grandfather had same surname like You, than he had change it to another i don't know why but about 1945, now he not live anymore, i am frim Albanian but they told they are cooming there, from where no one told, Albanian archives are burned much times, so till now i not get any news, anyway sow we have same surname maybe qill help eachother to discover something. Try http://www.jewishgen.org/ hope will have contact soon, have nice time.

Posted: 11 Aug 2012 8:05PM GMT
not mind readers ---need dob/location/marriage /wife/date/dod/location /children

what about country????etc

help us to help you

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 5:39AM GMT
I'm not sure about his dob or place, we have no records and I don't know if it possible to find. The reason is that he leaved (and I think was born) till WWII in the Western part of Ukraine which was probably under Russia or Poland in 1903? So I don't know were to look for records, but we know that his parents or grandparents had moved there from current Belorussia region. His wife name was Ustina Shumakovich, 1905-1955. I don't know if you have access to my family tree, their children are listed there. My grandpa never came back from WWII, his dod or place is unknown. Don't know if it'll help anything to you but I appreciate all your efforts.

Thank you very much.

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 11:01PM GMT
Western part of Ukraine was under Russia till 1918.1918-1939 under Poland,1939-1941 Russia,1941-1944 Germany. Russian Занко - OBD-Memorial .Ru has 16 people -Zanko, Podvignaroda.Ru -5 people,but no Yevman. Nick.

Posted: 16 Sep 2012 4:57AM GMT
Thank you very much Nick!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions