Search for content in message boards

Lamphier/Cavanagh

Lamphier/Cavanagh

Joe Webster (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lamphier, Cavanagh
My g.g.grandfather, Lt. Col. Joseph Lamphier (1787-1835)lived in Ballyfermot with his wife, Bridget Cavanagh (1790-1870) (married 1809). Some of their children: Peter, Patrick, William, Joseph, Mary (Maria), Ellen...boys emigrated to Canada...Joseph was of Huguenot ancestry...who were his parents/siblings? Joseph and Bridget are buried in Goldenbridge Cemetery. After Joseph died, Bridget moved to St. James St., Dublin...I know I've got lots, but I want more!

Lamphier connection?

Paul Lanphear (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LAMPHIER, LANPHIER, LANPHEAR, LANFAIR, LAMPHERE
The various spellings make surname research very difficult. My understanding so far, and I'm new to this, is that Thomas Lanphier/Lamphier, a huguenot form Languedoc-Rousillon, France went to London to escape religious persecution. He took his son Richard went with him. This was sometime in late 1500s. Either some other sons or brothers of Richard went to Ireland. Richard filed a will with the Perogative Court of Canterbury on 21 Aug 1655. In it he mentions a son George who (then) lived in New England (actually Westerly, RI). I am from that line : George Landpheare b.1631 Berkshire, Eng., d. 6 Oct 1731 in Westerly, RI.

Lots of help from Jack Lamphier (jlampast@aol.com) and Tim Lanfear (t-lanfear@hpcc.hitachi-eu.co.uk)

Good luck,
Paul Lanphear

Lanphier

Toni Royer (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lanphier
My father is Floyd Lanphier. His father was Casper Lanphier. His father was William Lanphier. Casper lived in Michigan. I hope to research further because I think that Casper came to Michigan from Canada. Perhaps from France. Any connection? I'm new at this too.

Re: Lanphier

Joe Webster (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2001 9:18PM GMT
My great grandfather's brother was William. He was born probably sometime in the 1820's in Dublin. He came with his brothers to Canada in the 1850's. He had a grocery store in Hamilton, Ontario before moving to the USA. This is all I know of Uncle William. Could there be a connection? Let me know what you think.
Joe

Re: Lamphier connection?

liz O'dwyer (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2001 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: Lanphier
our family had a Thomas Lanphier from Florida compile a Family tree, in there is a Thomas Lanphier Whom Married Lydia Pennefather, he was born 1745 in Parkstown Tipperary Ireland, married in 1772 and died feb.2 1811. His father was John Lanphier who was also born in parkstown co tipp. married on jan 10 1740 his father Thomas Lanphier
a hujuenot came from France to Dublin about 1700 died in 1733 in curragheen Tipperary. hopes this helps
Posted: 3 Nov 2004 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: lanphier/lamphier
hi there, my grandfather was wm.henry lanphier born1855 canada m alphonsine christin chgo.,il 1885 d.oak park,il 1930.siblings margaret,minnie,daniel, edward, julia,adalaide.myggrandfather wm.born 1820's ireland m mary murphy from phil,pa.llived canada prior to 1870 census then il.email hammermarilyn@hotmail.com

Re: Lamphier/Cavanagh

Posted: 22 May 2012 4:14PM GMT
Did you find any more info about Joseph Lamphier of Ballyfermot? Parents? whatever? His daughter Marianne married John Lawlor and they are ggggrandparents of mine
But like you I am stymied thanks, Pat Ryan

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 2:17AM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2012 2:18AM GMT
Pat...have you talked to John Byrne of Dublin...no doubt you have. Still looking!
Joe

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 11:07AM GMT
Yes, have been in touch with John. He had a stroke a few months back and has moved (if you need address let me know though his email works fine). And his head and most of body is fine too. Best, Pat

Re: Lamphier connection?

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 10:36PM GMT
My family is from the Lanfear line in Westerly RI.The various spellings are a problem. Three brothers came to RI from somewhere in the UK. Not sure of where. They were Reginald, Richard and Rowland. Rowland's line is my line. He had a son Gideon who had a son named William P. Somewhere after he was born the name was changed from Lamphere, Lanmphier to Lanfear. They moved from RI to upstate NY in early 1800's. Any of this sound familiar? Let me know, Kelly
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions