Search for content in message boards

History book lookup - Mosquito Creek Roundup

History book lookup - Mosquito Creek Roundup

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 6:44AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Wilson
HI, if anyone has the above book, can I trouble you to look up a Robert Lundy/Lundie Wilson who moved to Parkland around 1906. Apparently there is a page write up about him that I am interested but I can't get into Our Roots website to see if it is on line.

Thanks Shauna

Re: History book lookup - Mosquito Creek Roundup

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 4:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
That history book 'Mosquito Creek Roundup' is about Nanton and area, which is in the Willow Creek county.

For further research please contact the AGS Research Services Committee of the Edmonton Branch,
http://abgensoc.ca/
Peter

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 6:49PM GMT
Hi Peter, I was hoping that there would be someone that would have this book out already and would be willing to scan and email me the information. Am I not supposed to request items like that?

You link to the Alberta Gen. Society is a very intersting link too. Thanks for that. I'm sure they have lots of intersting stuff.

Thanks again Shauna

Re: History book lookup - Mosquito Creek Roundup,WILSON Rbt.:L

Posted: 6 Jan 2009 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: WILSON
Hi, Searched the Alberta GenWeb Local History Book site

Searched Our Roots - etc - the book does not appear.
Perhaps - Contact the Public Library - for the area - they may hold a copy.
Check with the Provincial Archive in Edmonton.
They may hold a copy -
Happy New Year 2009 - Cheers, Stella

Posted: 7 Jan 2009 12:05AM GMT
Hi Stella, Yes, I checked all those places too, but I couldn't find one on line. I even checked my public library and my gen. soc. and they didn't have it either. Thank you for your help. I was hoping to come across someone that already had the book and would just look up hte page for me. I may have to do what Peter suggested and contact AB gen soc for a fee.

Thanks again!! :)

Posted: 7 Jan 2009 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: WILSON
Have you checked with the municipality - Municpal Office -for the area - Genealogical/Historical society for the location.
Years ago - when I was searching for a book - that "didn't exist" or no one had same.
While on Vacation/reunion with cousins - we visited some of the small communities. One Municipal office had two copies - and were willing to sell me one. The other -had copy - and photo copied pages for me. Perhaps just a matter of luck - but worth a try
Cheers, Stella

Posted: 17 Jan 2009 10:21PM GMT
Robert Lundy Wilson
Robert Wilson was born near Galt, Ontario of Scottish ancestry. In 1907 he and his wife and daughter Bessie came to Parkland to visit Robert's sister, Mrs. George B. Thomson and family. He evidentaly liked what he saw in the West, as he went back to Ontario and sold his farm in Huron County and returned to parkland in 1908, where he bought SW 14-15-27-W4 from Ed Auclair. He also bought the homestead of Frank Auclair, NE 10-15-27-W4, across the road. He built an addition to the homestead house, but had to store the bulk of his furniture in the barn. A prairie fire came from the west burning the barn and all its contents. Robert was so engrossed with the barn that he forgot his crippled wife in the house. Jim Thompson remembered her and picked her up bodily, with no time to be gentle, and carried her out onto the potato patch, where he placed her in her wheel chair and covered her with a wet blanket. Fortunately the cultivated ground and fire-guard saved the house. Mrs. Wilson never forgave Jim for his rough treatment.
Since Robert was a carpenter, he built a large house with five bedrooms in 1916. He was secretary-treasurer of the Grassy Plains school district. Mrs. Wilson passed away in 1918, and after that he moved to Calgary where he later married again. The farm was worked by various farmers, and when Joe Straughan lived there, he planted lots of trees. After Robert's death, his daughter Bessie came back in 1942. She was talented in fancywork and hooked rugs. Bessie left her cousins Dorcas and Jane Wilson a legacy in her will. This they used as part payment on the two quarters. George Loree later bought Jane's share, and he and Dorcas have resided there since 1942.

There is a picture in the book of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Wilson, 1915.

Posted: 23 Mar 2011 4:18AM GMT
hI Penny, I just realized that you posted this, I read it, and forgot to thank you. So thank you very much for posting it for me. Now I have to find out where his 2 wifes went and his daughter. There doesn't happen to be anything in there about Bessie Scott Wilson? Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic