Search for content in message boards

Foster Hardware Co

Foster Hardware Co

Brian Lyons (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for any and all information I can find on the Foster Hardware Company that was located in Huntington, West Virginia.

Thank You

B. W. Foster and Foster Hardware

Posted: 12 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 3:48PM GMT
Surnames: FOSTER
Brian,
There is an article printed in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch on Thursday, Nov. 4, 1976, page 3 by Rick Baumgardner about B. W. Foster. There are photos of B. W. Foster, his wife, their home place in Huntington, and a drawing of the original hardware store printed with this story. I will abstract some of the information and post it for you here.
Bradley Waters Foster came to Huntington in 1871 and purchased land on the southwest corner of 3rd Avenue and 9th Street. By the end of the year he had built a two-story frame building and opened one of the newly-formed city's first hardware stores.
Foster was originally from New England. He was born in Maine in 1834, the second of four children. He married Mary Lenora Huntington, a niece of Collis P. Huntington, in 1868, Oneonta, NY. The Fosters moved to Huntington three years later where they spent the remainder of their lives.
The original hardware store stood for 20 years and was replaced with a three-story brick structure. This lot was the site of the Huntington Store in 1976, when this article was written.
In 1906 the Foster Hardware Company expanded and moved to a location at 2nd Avenue and 12th Street, and following a merger 10 years later, became the Foster-Thornburg Hardware Co., which did business under that name until 1965.
Foster was one of the founders and original stockholders and directors of the First National Bank, Huntington's city council, Huntington Chamber of Commerce, and served as president of the Foster Hardware Co. for 50 years.
The Fosters lived in a brick house on the corner of 5th Avenue and 11th Street. Today the site is the location of the Huntington Federal Savings and Loan Association.
Bradley and Mary Foster did not have any children. He left his wealth to the city he helped build before his death at 87 in 1922. More informaton on B. W. Foster can be found in the Cabell County Annals and Families by G. S. Wallace.

Note:
I hope this infomation is helpful to you. Also note there is a look-up volunteer on the main Cabell page for Cabell County Annals and Families. You should try and get a copy of the newspaper article if you need the photos and complete story.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic