Search for content in message boards

elizabeth orr

elizabeth orr

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: orr
I'm currently looking for Elizabeth orr the mother to Archibald Smith who was born 5th july 1762(kilmaurs, dundonald), Andrew smith who was born 31st may 1753(dreghorn,dundonald) and James smith born 18th april 1751(dreghorn, dundonald) she was the wife of Archibald smith but I cant find and record of marriage. There could be other children but I haven't found any yet. I don't know her place or year of birth.

Re: elizabeth orr

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 7:48PM GMT
https://familysearch.org has baptisms for three children of this couple:
James Smith b. 1751 Dreghorn
Andrew Smith b. 1753 Dreghorn
Archibald Smith b. 1762 Kilmaurs
Given the dates they probably had more children who either didn't survive or their baptism record didn't survive.

The same web site has several births for Elizabeth Orr in Ayrshire, with several in Kilburnie. The best site for Scottish BMD, however, is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is a pay to use site.

Not being able to find a birth or marriage in the OPRs for that time isn't unusual - not all records survived, the registers were't always well kept, and not everyone had their children baptised. Irregular marriage was also common as it was legally binding in Scotland but wasn't recorded.

The locations point to a coal mining family, and such families often moved at regular intervals. There were coal mines in the Parishes of Kilmaurs, Dreghorn and Dundonald in the 1700s.

Re: elizabeth orr

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Alexander, Jamieson, Orr, Smith
Hi. I can't help but wonder if the Smith family you mention wasn't related to the Wm. Smith & Agnes Alexander family (married abt 1750) of Irvine. Children: Alexander 1752, Margaret 1754, Alexander 1758, William 1760, and Margaret 1761. Alexander 1758 later married Marion Jamieson and moved to Dundonald.

If I recall correctly, there was an Orr family in Irvine during that 1750-1800 time. Let me check and I'll get back to this thread if i find anything worthwhile.

Doug
per page

Find a board about a specific topic