Search for content in message boards

Kohut help! Confused!

Kohut help! Confused!

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 12:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KOHUT
My great grandfathers name was Hryc Kohut. He came to the U.S. in 1909. All I can read on the census it says Ruthenian (Russniak). It also says Nativity-Galicia. That is all the information I have and was wondering how do I find more info? I would like to have the name of the town he came from. Any suggestions would be great!

Re: Kohut help! Confused!

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 5:54PM GMT
Both names, Kohut and Hryc are very common. Kohut can also be spelled Kogut, and Hryc is short for Hryhorii, and Grzegorz (Polish). Found this on the Ellis Island records. Kohut, Hryc; Staro Miejczczyna, Galicia (residence), 30 (age) 1883 (year of birth) 1913 (arrived at New York port). He was coming to join his brother Stefan; address: 230 Warren Street, Hudson, New York. It appears as though he had been in USA prior, between 1906-1912. http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.php?time=0&mode=run...
The problem, no such village as Staro Miejczczyna ...perhaps someone else can be of help. Also, the arrival to USA does not match. What about the birth date? Being Ruthenian .... Galician appears correct (now, Western Ukraine).

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 3:43PM GMT
Surnames: Kohut
Hryc was born 1-10-1870. Race Ruthenian(Russniak). Nativity-Galicia. Departure was Bremen Feb.9, 1909. I don't know if that is when he departed or arrived. The name of the ship was Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm. I found the ship records but they are wrote by hand and cannot read most of it. Please let me know if this helps.

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 3:53PM GMT
No mention of a village? Most of the manifests do. I will be away for a while ....but if you can scan the record, please do so. lorsyl@mts.net

Posted: 21 Jan 2009 3:08AM GMT
ddani740

Did he come thru Ellis Island? If other port, can you attach a scan of the manifest?

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 5:38AM GMT
ddani740

There are various spellings for the village of -
(by Family History Library -) Staromiejszczyzna;
(by Google Maps and Shtetlseeker -) Staromeshchizna;
(by me -) Staromeshchyna (because that sounds like the way my parents pronounced it.

It is at 49 degrees 33 minutes North, 26 degrees 9 minutes 36.03 seconds East. If you plug these coordinates into Google Earth you fly right there.

From Ellis Island records I have 16 Kohuts in my 'names of interest' spreadsheet (my parents knew a Kohut family in Toronto, Ontario). They are all from Staromeshchyna except for one from Zadnishowka (my parent's village about 2 or 3 miles south. They are all Ruthenians except for one Pole.

I believe that in the early days of the 20th century if you were from Galicia and you were not Polish you were automatically Ruthenian. Later, Ukrainian started showing up (at least in the Canadian records).

I can send you the data from the spreadsheet if you like.

I have some data from the FHL showing marriages of Kohuts in Zadnishowka if you are interested.

Ernie

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 11:32AM GMT
I have on my information ...Birth location "other" Stuonzzcome? Is this the village you are referring to? My grandfather was Hryc Kohut and married to Anna Kryvicky. I can't find the "actual" spelling for Kryvicky though. I would love any information you have. The marriages would be great. My email is dparker216@roadrunner.com

Re: Staromiejszczyzna, Podwoloczyska

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 12:10AM GMT
d
http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&am...
http://www.mapywig.org/m/WIG100_300DPI/P50_S42_PODWOLOCZYSKA... bottom of the map in small letters Skalat and 10 move Possible the town that we could not decipher on Hryc KOHUT's manifest might be Podwoloczyska.

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 10:47PM GMT
My listing of info re Staromiejszczyzna was based on lorsyl2's posting of 19 January mentioning that village.

I'll send you the info but the village may not be correct as you mention 'Stuonzzcome'. On what information/document do you show this name?

You mention Hryc came through Bremen in 1909. Where does this information come from?

Ernie

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: kohut
That is from the ship manifest. It is the port of New York and seem to be only to see it on ancestry.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions