Search for content in message boards

History of Wardsboro by Warren

History of Wardsboro by Warren

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 11:38PM GMT
Classification: Biography
History of WARDSBORO, pages 669-683

Manuscript by the late John P. WARREN, M. D.;
of Brattleboro, as it is found in -

Vermont Historical Gazetteer a local History
of all the Towns in the State, Civil,
Educational, Biographical, Religious and
Military. Vol. V. The Towns of Windham
County. Collated by Abby Maria Hemenway.
Published by Mrs. Carrie E. H. Page,
Brandon, VT. 1891.

For a full page view go to:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/vt_gazetteer-wardsboro.htm
Windham County Town Histories Home page:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/VT_Gazetteer_V5_Towns_of_W...
For a post card from Main Street, Wardsboro in 1911 click on the jpeg file below.
Attachments:

Re: History of Wardsboro - part 1 of 3

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Vermont Historical Gazetteer a local History
of all the Towns in the State, Civil,
Educational, Biographical, Religious and
Military. Vol. V. The Towns of Windham
County. Collated by Abby Maria Hemenway.
Published by Mrs. Carrie E. H. Page,
Brandon, VT. 1891.

For a full page view go to:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/vt_gazetteer-wardsboro.htm
Home page:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/VT_Gazetteer_V5_Towns_of_W...

part 1 of 3 pages 669 through 673

WARDSBORO. pages 669-683

By JOHN P. WARREN, M. D.

WARDSBORO.

MANUSCRIPT BY THE LATE DR. WARREN
OF BRATTLEBORO.

The town of Wardsborough is west of the
center of Windham county in the second
tier of towns on the eastern slope of the
Green Mountains, bounded E. by Newfane
and Townshend, S. by Dover, W. by
Somerset and Stratton, and N. by
Jamaica. The center of the town is 9
miles brom Fayetteville and 20 from
Brattleboro. It was granted and chartered
by Vermont, Nov. 7, 1780, to William
WARD of Newfane, and 62 associates. An
act was passed Oct. 18, 1788, dividing
the town into two districts, to be called
the North and the South districts. The two
districts were substantially separate
towns, each having a separate board of
town officers. They met together once in a
year for the election of State officers and
a town representative. The districts were
incorporated Oct. 30, 1810, into two
distinct towns, the northern
Wardsborough and the southern Dover,
surveyed and allotted by a Mr. CAMDEN.

GRANTEES.

Gorham NELSON, Joseph PARTRIDGE,
Jacob HAYWARD, Caleb CHENEY, John
ROBINSON, Joseph GIBBS, Warfield
HAYWARD, Wm. SPRAGUE, Elias
PENNIMAN, Joseph JONES, Jr., Abel
MUNROE, Philip PAINE, Moses
ROBINSON, Esq., Neh. NELSON, Adam
STREETER, James SUMNER, Oliver
CHAPIN, Ephraim PASKET, Jona. JONES,
Josiah BROWN, Daniel CORBITT, Major
Gideon ORMSBY, Hannah WARD, Samuel
HAYDEN, John MAWNEY, Samuel
JOHNSON, Timothy JONES, Ez'l JONES,
Isaac KIMBALL, Eben. MCFARLAND, Thos.
MCFARLAND, Issac CHAPIN, Moses
GREENWOOD, Abraham BALL, Silas
BROWN, Jona. TEMPLE, Jr., John JONES,
Col. Eben. WALBRIDGE, His Excellency,
Thos. CHITTENDEN, Esq., Joshua PARKER,
Oliver WILDER, Aaron HUDSON, Abial
LYON, Amos HAIL, Edward HARRIS,
James HAIL, Jr., Elkanah WOODCOCK,
Jona. EDCOMB, Silas HAMILTON, Elisha
BLAKE, Henry WOODHOUSE, John
HAMILTON, Eben'z HATRON, Col. William
WILLIAMS, Amos SHEPARDSON, Elijah
ALFORDS, James ROBERTS and Phillip
GURDON.

FREEMAN'S ROLL, 1796

Ithamar ALLEN, John JONES, Abner
HOLBROOK, Eben'z SEARS, Jacob
CHAMBERLAIN, Thomas JEWETT, James
WALLIS, John GANSON, John WALLACE,
Daniel WARREN, Lemuel BRALEY,
Thomas LOVE, Abner PERRY, James
SLADE, Thomas MCDANIELS, Nathan
GANSON, William STRICKLAND, Searle
FAIRBANK, Samuel DAVIS, Richard
HISCOCK, William BRADLEY, Eli PERRY,
William HALL, Rufus HARVEY, Aaron
CLARK, Asa BARNEY, Timothy WOOD,
Eben'z SPARKS, Eben'z BILLS, Joseph
UNDERWOOD, Jos. DIX, Abner ALLEN,
Phillip NEWELL, Edward WALKER, Paul
DAVIS, John STACY, Hiram NEWELL,
Lemuel BRYANT, Thaddeus WRIGHT,
Richard HUNT, Noah SHERMAN, Penel
SHERMAN, Richard CROWINSHULD,
Thomas WOODWARD, Asa UNDERWOOD,
Roger BIRCHARD, Silas WRIGHT. In all 48.

MARCH MEETING.

The first annual March meeting warned
by Luke KNOWLTON, just of the peace,
was held at the dwelling house of John
JONES in Wardsborough, Tuesday, March
14, 1786, and Luke KNOWLTON was
chosen moderator; Aaron HUDSON, town
clerk; Ithamar ALLEN, John GANSON,
Abner HOLBROOK, Eben. SEARS, Jacob
CHAMBERLAIN, selectmen, and duly
sworn; Philip NEWELL, treasurer, sworn;
Thomas JEWETT and Abner SLADE,
constables, sworn; James WALLIS, Abner
PERRY and Roger BIRCHARD, listers,
sworn; Samuel DAVIS and Edward
WALKER, grand jurors, sworn; Abner
ALLEN, supervisor, sworn; Samuel
BRIANT, leather sealer, sworn; Elijah
BALDWIN and John JONES, tythingmen,
sworn; Bazaleel GLEASON, horse brander;
John GANSON, Silas WRIGHT, Elkanah
WOODCOCK, Thaddeus WRIGHT, Samuel
DAVIS, John and Abner PERRY, highway
surveyors, and sworn.

FIRST SETTLERS.

Zadock THOMPSON in his Gazetteer of
Vermont, 2d edition, 1840, states, upon
what authority is unknown to the writer,
that John JONES and Ithamar ALLEN were
the pioneers in the settlement of the
town. It is shown, however, by the town
records that Samuel DAVIS and wife
came into town about one year prior to
that of Mr. JONES and Mr. ALLEN, as his
eldest son, Ebenezer, was born May 18,
1779, being the first birth in the town;
whereas JONES and ALLEN did not arrive
in town with their families until June,
1780.

Mr. DAVIS purchased a lot of land in the
west part of the town on which he lived
many years, and reared a large family.
Mr. DAVIS' native town was Milford,
Mass.

Mr. ALLEN removed from Sturbridge,
Mass., with his family, and began a
settlement in the north-westerly part of
the town where he resided until 1804,
when he left town.

Mr. JONES, born in Milford, Mass., came
from Orange, Mass., with six sons and
three daughters, and commenced a mile
or more southeast of the centre of the
township. His eldest daughter married
Lemuel BRALEY, and the second
Nathaniel GOULD. These are believed to
have been the first marriages in town.

Other settlers who came early were
Phillip NEWELL, Asa WHEELOCK, Abner
HOLBROOK, Elijah HOLBROOK, Josiah
BROWN, Thomas JEWETT, Aaron
HUDSON, Elkanah WOODCOCK, Stephen
WARREN, John STACY, Asa UNDERWOOD,
John HOLBROOK. A large majority of
there were young men under 30, of an
intelligent class. Some of the number
were veterans of the Revolutionary army.

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.

BY REV. JAMES TUFT, JR.

The Congregational church was organized
at the house of John RICE, May 1, 1798,
consisting of 12 members - 8 males and
4 females: John SMITH, Abner HAZELTON,
John JONES, Samuel CHAPIN, Lemuel
BRYANT, Edward WALKER, Daniel
HAZELTON, Asa JONES, Abigail JONES,
Elizabeth SMITH, Eunice WALKER and
Beanlah CHAPIN.

Rev. James TUFTS was ordained the first
pastor, Nov. 4, 1794, and continued
pastor 42 years, and for five years senior
pastor.

REV. EBEN'S. G. BRADFORD

was installed colleague pastor, Oct. 5,
1836, and dismissed in 1842.

REV. WILLARD BRIGHAM

was ordained over the North church.

REV. S. G. TENNEY

was ordained over the South church.

The churches have since united.

REV. JAMES TUFTS

was born in New Braintree, Mass., of
William and Margaret TUFTS, Sept. 30,
1764; g[ra]duated at Brown University,
1789, and completed his theological
studies with Dr. EMMONS of Franklin. He
was ordained Nov. 4, 1794, at the house
of Col. Dan'l REED.

The first postoffice in town was kept by
Mr. TUFTS. He was postmaster for over 29
years, and his house was the only office
for the three towns of Wardsboro,
Stratton, and Somerset.

He died a happy death, Aug. 11, 1841,
aged nearly 77, and was buried among
his own people, beside the graves of
those at whose funerals he had
officiated.

THE FIRST MINISTER'S WIFE IN TOWN.

Submit HAYDEN (Mrs. TUFTS,) was born
in Grafton, Mass., April 18, 1777,
daughter of Daniel HAYDEN and Submit
FLAG HAYDEN, and married to Mr. TUFTS,
Feb. 1807.

Children: Submit J., - TUFTS, born Feb.
29, 1808; married Allen MORRON, in
1835, has lived most in Aurora and
Clinton, N. Y., educated their son
Hamilton College. Mrs. Submit TUFTS
MORRON died Sept. 14, 1878.

Eliza TUFTS, born Sept. 9, 1809, married
Hollis T. ROBINSON, Esq., of Newfane,
1830. They lived in Canada till 1848;
since then in Williamsville, Vt. Mrs. Eliza
TUFTS ROBINSON died Feb. 13, 1883.

Nancy TUFTS, born May 29, 1811,
married Hon. Marshal NEWTON, of
Newfane, 1836; has lived in Fayetteville,
Vt.

REV. JAMES TUFTS, JR.,

born Nov. 2, 1812, graduated at Yale
College in 1838. He taught in the
Academy in Fairfield, Ct., two years. Was
superintendent of schools in Windham
county, 1848-'49; has resided in Monson
the last 33 years, engaged in teaching;
was married in 1855 to Mary E. WARREN,
daughter of Dr. J. P. WARREN,
Wardsboro.

JOHN TUFTS,

born Sept. 11, 1814, married D. S.
BARBER of Townshend, 1847; justice of
the peace, State senator two years. He
sold the home farm in Wardsboro in
1850, removed to a farm in Geneseo, Ill.
He died Feb. 15, 1883. He was man who
will long be remembered for the good he
has done - one of those men whose very
presence is a rebuke to evil. He leaves a
wife and six children - five sons and one
daughter, all of whom but one, Dr. A. H.
TUFTS of Sioux Falls, Dak., were present
at the funeral.

The youngest of the family of the old
pastor of Wardsboro church was Fanny
Woodbury TUFTS, born April 17, 1816;
married Dr. John COOKE, Manchester, Vt.,
died in Englishtown, N. J., June, 1865.

THE BAPTIST CHURCH

of Wardsborough was organized Oct.
1792, by a council composed of five
pastors and delegates, Elder Aaron
LELAND of Chester, moderator, and John
DYER of Jamaica, clerk.

ELD. SIMEON COOMBS

was installed in 1795. He was from
Massachusetts and was the first
preacher, and had the reputation of
being a zealous minister. The deacons
were Lemuel BRALEY and Ebenezer
SEARS.

The society erected their meetinghouse
on land of Noah SHERMAN in 1795.

ELD. STEPHEN CHOATE

succeeded Elder COOMBS in 1803;
ordained over this church in 1806;
continued his labors until 1811, when
they were terminated by death.

After the decease of Elder CHOATE, Elder
Calvin ORCUTT was pastor until 1815;
Elder John SHEPARDSON until 1818;
Elder Lyman GLAZIER preached from
1818 to 1824; Elder Joseph GAMBILL,
pastor, 1824-1830.

Elder P. B. FISH from 1830-1836,
preached for the church.

Elder Joshua VINCENT was ordained over
the church at the close of Elder FISH'S
pastorate.

METHODIST CHURCH.

The earliest Methodist preaching began
in 1825. It was connected with Jamaica,
Windham, Fayetteville, and Stratton, and
called Newfane Circuit. In 1831 the name
of the circuit was changed to Wardsboro.
During the year the M. E. church was
organized under the supervision of Rev.
Guy BECKLEY and colleague, Rev. J. M.
FULLER, with 29 members, and increased
during the year to 44. Up to this and the
succeeding year, the meetings were held
in school houses and private dwellings in
different parts of the town.

In 1832 their church edifice was built.

THE PREACHERS

during this period were Revs. A. ADAMS,
Z. TWITCHILL, A. K. HOWARD, H.
JOHNSON, Charles OLIN, H. I. WOOLEY, B.
D. BREWSTER, C. W. LEAVINGS, W. B.
LOCKE, H. NUTTER, G. W. PERHAM, M.
SPENCER, C. R. HARDING.

In 1842, the M. E. Church became an
independent station under the care of
one pastor. From this period to the
present, 1870, the following pastors have
received appointments by the Vermont
Conference: Revs. I. SMITH, C. W.
KELLOGG, I. A. SHERBURN, P. P. RAY, I.
W. BEMIS, H. EASTMAS, K. HADLEY, I. L.
SMITH, D. WELLS, H. I. FOREST, W. B.
HOWARD, C. P. FLANDERS. Succeeding
Mr. FLANDERS was Rev. George E.
CHAPMAN. Some of the number were
veterans of the Revolutionary army. Their
moral and religious characteristics were
soon manifested by their inaugurating
measures for the support of the
preaching of the gospel, and for common
district schools; for it is recorded: "April,
1789, that the town voted to raise a
certain sum for preaching."

FACE OF THE TOWNSHIP, SOIL, ETC.

As has been represented, the surface of
this township is "very un-uneven and
some parts of it rocky," but in neither of
these respects is it a much so as some of
the adjoining towns. Between this town
and Dover there is range of high hills - a
spur from the Green Mountains, which
extend from west to east parallel with
and nearly on the line which separates
the towns.

The eastern part of the town is
comparatively level. At the extreme
western section upon a high bluff there is
presented on of the most magnificent
landscapes on which the eye ever rested.
The crests of the Green Mountains,
Monadnock, Ascutney, Wachuset, and
White Mountains are distinctly in view in
a cloudless day.

CENSUS POPULATION.

In 1791, 483; 1800, 868; 1810, 1159;
1820, 1016; 1830, 1148; 1840, 1102;
1850, 1112; 1860, 1004; 1870, 866.

The timber is a large growth of the sugar
and white maple, beach, birch, ash, bass
wood, spruce and hemlock. There was
also a large growth of the white pine at
an early period of the settlement.

The town is well watered. The main
stream, the North Branch, so called, is
formed chiefly by the union of two
rivulets which rise one in Somerset, the
other in Stratton and near the base of the
Green Mountains, and uniting with some
other streams flows through the entire
length of the town and falls into the West
River in Jamaica.

MATTHEW MARTIN

came into town with his family of four
children from Brattleboro, in 1796, and
built the first grist-mill, and first
saw-mill. He died Jan. 1831, aged 94
years.

BUSINESS.

There are now in town 2 grist-mills, 6
saw-mills, 2 tanneries, 6 dry goods and
grocery stores, 2 taverns, 7 school
districts and houses, 4 meeting-houses,
viz: 2 Cong'l., 1 Bap., 1 Meth.; shops for
the manufacture of buckets, pails, boxes,
sieves, etc., have been in operation some
years at a place called Unionville.

The first fulling and dressing-mill for
cloth was build by Shepard ELLIS, 1802.

A machine for carding wool was built by
Joseph CROSBY a few rods east of the
center of the town in 1806 and he soon
came with his family. In connection with
his carding machine, Mr. CROSBY built a
cabinet-shop, and his son-in-law, Joseph
SWEETSER, built a tannery; about his
time, also, came other mechanics and
among them Joseph WILDER, the
blacksmith, and since the place is known
as Wilder Hollow.

AUTOMATIC LATHE.

Within the last few years, Frederick
BALDWIN, a native of the town, by his
own unaided efforts has invented and
put in operation a machine, which he
styles the automatic lathe, and which
can among other things, turn bed-posts,
fish-poles of any desired length, and the
most delicate penholder. Rights patented
have been sold in all the New England
States. Mr. BALDWIN, has of late made
some improvements to render his lathe
more practical by which
house-mouldings, etc., of any style can
be wrought.

FIRST SCHOOLS.

It cannot be determined with accuracy
who taught the first district school in
town. Mr. William SIMPSON, a son-in-law
of Mr. John JONES, taught several winters
in the east part of the town. William
ALLEN, son of Sylvester ALLEN, taught a
school in the winter of 1800, at the
dwelling-house of Elijah HOLBROOK in
the west part of town. These were among
the firth, if not the very first teachers.
Stephen CHOATE taught school in 1803.

Samantha ROBBINS,

was an accomplished teacher. She
married Clarendon MUSSEY of
Middlebury, this State, and went a
missionary to India, where she died a few
years since.

MARY KIDDER,

a daughter of John KIDDER of this town
was for a time a teacher of schools at the
West. She has now gone as a missionary
and teacher to Japan.

PAUL DAVIS,

one of the earliest settlers in town and
town clerk in 1788.
page 673

Transcribed by a Volunteer, List Member,
VTWINDHA-L@rootsweb.com This is a work in
progress, town histories will be submitted as
time allows. Thank you to RootsWeb for
hosting this site. You may use the
information provided on these pages for your
personal genealogical use. No part of these
pages may be harvested and sold for profit.
Copyright 2003, Sue Downhill
sudown@cwnet.com

Re: History of Wardsboro - part 2 of 3

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 11:49PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Vermont Historical Gazetteer a local History
of all the Towns in the State, Civil,
Educational, Biographical, Religious and
Military. Vol. V. The Towns of Windham
County. Collated by Abby Maria Hemenway.
Published by Mrs. Carrie E. H. Page,
Brandon, VT. 1891.

For a full page view go to:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/vt_gazetteer-wardsboro.htm
Home page:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/VT_Gazetteer_V5_Towns_of_W...

part 2 of 3 pages 673 through 678

REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIERS.

of these were John STACEY, Samuel
KENNEY, Hinsdale HAMMOND, Asa
WHEELOCK, Stephen WARREN, Elisha
CONVERSE, Daniel READ, Eph'm. RICE,
Nath'l CHAMBERLAIN, Adam HOWARD,
Edward WALKER, Gideon BRIMHALL,
David HARRIS, Thomas BOGLE.

JOHN STACEY

participated in the battle of Yorktown,
Virginia: but does not appear ever to
have been a pensioner.

SAMUEL KENNEY

Served during the war of the Revolution
in the artillery and had a discharge in the
hand-writing of General KNOX, which was
shown to the writer, and for which the
soldier was required no other voucher to
entitle him to a pension from the
Government.

Asa WHEELOCK & Hinsdale HAMMOND.

Asa WHEELOCK and Hinsdale HAMMOND
were both at the battle of Saratoga;
WHEELOCK appears on our pension list;
HAMMOND does not.

STEPHEN WARREN

Was at Boston in 1795; at the battle of
Long Island in 1778.

ELISHA CONVERSE,

Also a hero of the Revolutionary time,
was in the battle of Bunker Hill.

OUR REVOLUTIONARY PENSIONERS.

Daniel READ, Asa WHEELOCK, Eph'm.
RICE, Gideon BRIMHALL, Nath'l
CHAMBERLAIN, Daniel HARRIS, Thomas
BOGLE, Edward WALKER, Samuel
KENNEY.

An interesting reminiscence of an event
which occurred while that portion of the
army under the command of Gen.
WASHINGTON was encamped in the State
of New Jersey, in 1778, from the mouth of
two of the above witnesses, and
communicated verbally to the writer, was
as follows:

An order had been given to build a
breast-work within the lines, and a squad
of men detailed to perform that service
under the charge of a corporal who felt
the grave responsibility of the position
which had been assigned him, but who
knew not Gen. WASHINGTON personally.
As the work was nearing completion, the
General attended by his staff officers,
came to inspect it, and perceiving the
need of some more pieces of turf to round
off the breast-work, spoke to the corporal
to lay it, to which he indignantly replied
that he was a corporal and did not lay
turf. Without uttering a word in reply the
General removed his gloves and laid on
the turf and passed along the line. Many
of the soldiers of the party knew the
General and before he was out of their
sight three rousing cheers and "a tiger"
were given for the general, and the
corporal was from that time, made the
scorn and derision of the army, as he
deserved to be.

THE MILITIA.

The first militia company here was
commanded by Capt. Dan'l READ,
afterward know as Gen. READ. His
successor in office was Abner PERRY. The
first captain in the north district was

CAPT. NOAH SHERMAN.

The company was formed about the year
1799 or 1800. They first met for drill in
the month of June on the farm of Ithamar
ALLEN in the northwest part of the town.

FIELD OFFICERS:

Daniel READ was promoted to the office
of brigadier general at an early period in
the history of the town. He was a gallant
and meritorious officer.

Of the subordinates, Abner HOLBROOK,
Jonathan ROBINSON, Holland PLIMPTON
were colonels; Henry WHEELOCK and
William KELLY, Jr., were majors.

SOLDIERS OF THE WAR OF 1812.

Daniel READ, John BRALEY, John
CAFFREY, Fuller BOYLE, Joseph SMITH.

ROLL OF HONOR.

SOLDIERS OF WARDSBORO, 1861-1865 -
VOLUNTEERS FOR THREE YEARS.

Volunteers for three years, credited under
the call of President Lincoln for 300,000
volunteers, of Oct. 17, 1863: Charles A.
ALLEN, Benj. F. BILLINGS, Albert W.
BISSETT, Geo. M. BISSETT, Francis N.
BROWN, Calvin COOK, Edward FITTS,
died; Lyman D. GROVER, Erwin E.
HANCOCK, Sam'l HARRINGTON, Merrill L.
HODGKINS, Milton L. HOWARD, Edwin S.
JOHNSON, Geo. H. JOHNSON, Erastus H.
JONES, Henry A. KILBURN, Warren N.
NEEDHAM, Daniel PERRY, Erwin L.
PUTNAM, Geo. N. PUTNAM, Romanzo G.
RICE, Orrin L. RICE, John W. SANDERS,
Bradford F. SCOTT, Newton I. SCOTT,
Charles W. SMITH, Edwin R. SMITH,
Robert H. SMITH, Stillman SMITH,
William SMITH, Lewis A. TYLER, Alvin H.
WHITE, Charles A. WHITE, Cyrus M.
WHITE, Erastus N. WHITE, William F.
WHITE.

VOLUNTEERS FOR THREE YEARS,

Credits under subsequent calls of Oct. 17,
1863: John ARMSTRONG, Edward B.
BISSELL, Leroy L. BRYANT, Stephen
BURROUGHS, Daniel CHEHINN, Ebenezer
HOLMAN, James HUMPHREY, Leroy
HOLLAND, William H. PARSONS, William
SCOTT, Sewell SIMPSON, Franklin
SQUMISTER, Philip FASCHEREAU.

VOLUNTEERS FOR ONE YEAR.

R. Jonathan BABCOCK, Elmer FITTS, John
M. HAMMOND, Emery S. JONES, Nat'h A.
KILBURN, Daniel M. STOCKER, Cyrus M.
WHITE, Geo. A. WHITE.

VOLUNTEERS RE-ENLISTED.

George M. BISSELL, George CLOUGH,
Merrell L. HODGKINS, Henry A. KILBURN,
Waitstill R. PETTEE, Romanzo G. RICE.

VOLUNTEERS FOR NINE MONTHS.

Elbridge BISSELL, Wm. F. CLARKE,
Merrick J. DOWLEY, Chas. G. FLETCHER,
Hamilton L. HOWARD, Gilbert N. INGRAM,
Chandler LEONARD, Sidney L. MAY,
Samuel L. PARSONS, Warren [] PIERCE,
Augustine W. RICHARDS, Francis C.
SPRAGUE, Dan'l M. STOCKER, Otis WARD,
John M. WHITE, William H. YOUNG.

DRAFTED AND PAID COMMUTATION.

Guy C. HARTSHORN, Edwin S. JOHNSON,
Henry M. KIDDER, Elliot MAY, Oscar M.
NEWELL, Charles E. NICHOLS, Sam'l S.
PERRY, WELCOM, A. RAMSDELL, Chas. E.
SIMONDS, Elon N. TAYLOR, Charles A.
WHITE.

PROCURED SUBSTITUTES.

Mark PIERCE, Geo. H. SMITH, Henry A.
WHITE.

ENTERED SERVICE.

Lewis A. TYLER.

TOWN CLERKS.

Aaron HUDSON was chosen first town
clerk, March 14, 1786. Paul DAVIS, Mar.
5, 1787; Rufus HARVEY, Apr. 27, 1790;
Asa WHEELOCK, Mar. 7, 1791; Rufus
HARVEY, Mar. 3, 1794; Asa WHEELOCK,
Mar. 9, 1807; and reelected each
successive year until 1840. J. P.
WARREN, Mar. 2, 1840; John TUFTS, Mar.
7, 1842; Silas DEXTER, Mar. 4, 1844; J.
G. HIGGINS, Mar. 13, 1850; A. J. DEXTER,
Mar. 6, 1866, and holds the office at the
present time, 1870.

REPRESENTATIVES.

Aaron HUDSON was chosen first
representative in 1786; Asa WHEELOCK,
1789 to '97, '98 to 1803, 1807 to 1813;
Daniel READ, 1797, 1805, '06, '54, '55;
Abner PERRY, 1803, '04; Stephen
PRESSON, 1813, '16; Paul WHEELER,
1817, '18, '25; Pearley FAIRBANKS,
1800, '20; Abner HOLBROOK, 1821, '22;
Jonathan ROBINSON, 1823, '24; Leland
FAIRBANKS, 1826, '27; Freeman
HOLBROOK, 1828; Nathaniel WARD,
1829, '30; Silas DEXTER, 1831, '33;
Emery WHEELER, 1832, '37, '38; Solomon
NEWELL, 1836, '39; John P. WARREN,
1840,41; Lyman W. JOHNSON, 1842, '43;
Justice KNOWLTON, 1848; Wales A.
BRIDGES, 1851, '52; Erasmus
PLYMPTON, 1854, '55; Holland
PLYMPTON, 1856, '57, 1864, '65; Avery J.
DEXTER, 1858, '59; Dennis WELLS, 1861;
Henry N. FITTS, 1862, '63; N. B. JOHNSON,
1867; Lyman M. NEWELL, 1867, '68;
Martin LEONARD, 1869; David H. EGAN,
1870. No choice 1834, '35, '44, '45, '46.

COUNTY SENATORS.

Emery WHEELOCK, 1841, '42; John
TUFTS, 1849, '50.

MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL OF CENSORS.

Daniel READ, 1797; Asa WHEELOCK,
1822, 1828; Emery WHEELOCK, 1836,
'43; Henry RICE, 1850.

ASSISTANT JUDGES OF COUNTY COURT.

Jonathan ROBINSON, 1824; Emery
WHEELOCK, 1836, 1843.

FIRST JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.

Aaron HUDSON, Asa WHEELOCK, Rufus
HARVEY, Josiah BROWN, Daniel READ,
Perley FAIRBANKS, Nathaniel CHENEY,
Asa FELTON.

MERCHANTS.

The first merchant who kept a store in
town was

JOHN HOLBROOK,

who came from Newfane in 1789 or '90,
and established himself and family near
the residence of John JONES.

OTHER EARLY MERCHANTS.

Josiah BROWN opened a store at the
Centre, 1800 - perhaps a year or two
earlier. In 1804 he sold to Nathaniel
CHENEY, who came from Orange, Mass.,
with a family of five children. He also
kept the first tavern. Mr. CHENEY sold his
store, etc., in 1814.

Benjamin HEAD opened a dry goods and
grocery store at the North Village, then
know as "Martin's Mills," 1803.

He remained in town a short time only
and was succeeded by two young men,
BROWN & STEVENS, from New
Hampshire, Mass. BROWN & STEVENS
sold to Nath'l CHAPIN, and Jonathan
ROBBINS bought of CHAPIN in 1810.
Other merchants who sold goods in town
at an early day were Leland FAIRBANKS,
Nathaniel, Jr., and Adin THAYER.

PHYSICIANS.

The first physician in town was
Dr. Samuel WHEELER. He was
succeeded by Dr. Paul
WHEELER, of whom mention is
made elsewhere in these
papers.

Of those who have practiced
here are Dr. Thomas BARKER,
whom the writer remembers as
an eccentric and intemperate
man, who soon left town.
Drs._____ ALLEN, W. R.
RANNEY, J. P. WARREN, C. W.
BARBER, ____ AUSTIN, A. H.
GILMAN, A. H. PETTIE, H.
RANNEY, S. RANNEY, A.
JOHNSON, S. R. BILLINGS and
brother, E. P. BURTON, Dana
HYDE, M. F. BLISS, ____
HUNGERFORD and F. MARTIN,
Drs. BLISS and MARTIN alone
remain in town. (1870.)

ASA WHEELOCK, ESQ.
was born in Shewsbury, Mass.,
in 1759. He came to town
before the close of the
Revolutionary war, 1782;
purchased a lot of land about a
mile southeast of the centre of
the town. This became his
permanent residence. After
making this purchase for a
homestead, he returned to his
regiment in the army, until the
peace of 1783. He was twice
married. His first wife, Lucy
MAYNARD of Shrewsbury, died
of consumption, and a few
years after, he married Abigail
READ of Worcester, Mass. Three
son were the fruit of the first,
and two sons and four
daughters of the second
marriage. He was chosen town
clerk in 1791, and held the
office 36 years; was a justice of
the peace 54 years; represented
the town in the legislature 20
years, and was twice elected a
member of the constitutional
convention of the State. He
died, May 23, 1842, aged 83
years.

PAUL WHEELER, M. D.
was born in Rutland, Mass.,
1771. In childhood and in youth
he was in full health. When
about eighteen his father sent
him to Leicester Academy
where he studied English and
Latin, and commenced the
study of medicine at
twenty-one, with Dr. Reuben
WALKER, Barre, Mass., whose
office he left after two or more
years with out-fit of horse,
saddle, bridle, medicines,
medical books, surgical
instruments and 100 silver
dollars, to see what dame
fortune had in store for him in
the new settlements of
Vermont.

Having an uncle in the South
district, he commenced practice
near him, 1794, but soon
removed to the South district
where he made his permanent
home. Middlebury college
conferred upon him the
honorary degree of M. D. in
1825. He was our
representative three years to
the legislature, and held many
other offices in the gift of the
town.

From 1803 to 1814, Drs. Marcus
ROBBINS, Chester THAYER,
Shelamath HALL and Eli
PERRY, were educated in his
office and practice. After 1836,
the Doctor relinquished
practice. He died suddenly July
24, 1846, aged 75 years.

WILLIAM WARD,
from whom the town took its
name, was born in Mendon,
Worcester, County Mass. He
married Hannah TAFT of that
town in 1778, and soon
removed with her to Newfane,
Vt. In the record of the town he
is styled Col. WARD. One writer,
speaking of him, asserts he was
chosen the first representative,
1778, to the legislature; but
this is a mistake as the records
do not show it.

It has been said of him that
before the war of the
Revolution, he and some others
went to Canada for a load of
furs and were arrested on the
suspicion of being spies, thrown
into prison and he died there.
The others who were taken with
him were released, soon after
his death. His widow married
Moses JOY of Putney, where she
died in February, 1842, aged 86
years.

HON. ABNER HAZELTINE, M. C.,
son of Daniel HAZELTINE, one
of the early settlers, was born
June, 1793; graduated at
Williams College, 1815, at the
age of 22 years; commenced
the practice of law in
Jamestown, N. Y.; served two
terms in Congress from 1833 to
1837; was several years district
attorney and county judge four
years. He died Dec. 14, 1879, at
the age of 86.

Laban HAZELTINE studied
medicine in town and practiced
in Jamestown, N. Y., for many
years. He was a man of superior
and well cultivated mind and a
much esteemed physician and
citizen.

Abraham HAZELTINE studied
medicine with the writer and
practiced in Warren, Pa. He was
much beloved as a man and
physician.

Jon'a B. KIDDER, son of Samuel
KIDDER, graduated at
Middlebury in 1821, in the 17th
year of his age. He has been a
teacher and occasionally
preached.

Rev. Corbin KIDDER graduated
at Amherst College in 1828,
and studied divinity at Andover,
Mass. He was ordained at
Saxonville over a
Congregational church, and
afterward settled in West
Brattleboro. He died in Popple
Grove, Ill., December, 1874.

Rev. Pascal P. P. KIDDER,
brother of the above, was
graduated at Yale College in
1836, and is an Episcopal
rector in Western New York.

Alberoni KIDDER has been a
Congregational minister in the
West, but has retired from the
ministry.

Samuel KIDDER died while a
student of Lane Seminary, Ohio
in 1841.

These four sons were born to

NATHANIEL KIDDER,
who with four other brothers
came into town from Dudley,
Mass., and bought farms
adjoining each other and were
all exemplary citizens.

Nathan E. FELTON was
graduated at Middlebury, 1821.
He studied law and is in
practice in Haverhill, N. H.

Rev. James TUFTS, Jr., son of
Rev. Jame TUFTS, was
graduated at Yale College in
1838.

Lafayette WARD took is A. B. at
Dartmouth College in 1846, and
devoted his life to teaching.

James S. THAYER was
graduated at Amherst in 1838.
He was a lawyer of distinction
in New York.

Professor R. L. C. ROBBINS, a
graduate of Middlebury in
1835, is now a professor of
Greek in that college.

David ROBBINS, father of
professor ROBBINS above
mentioned, was a noted
teacher, and for many years
county surveyor. He died in the
great sickness of 1813.

J. Parker WARREN and Mark
WARREN, sons of David
WARREN, read law and were
admitted to the bar.

Luke WARREN, son of David
WARREN, is a physician in the
West.

Calvin WARD practiced law
several years in Springfield, Vt.,
and also in Newfane.

Adams DAVIS, son of Samuel
DAVIS, the first settler, studied law.

Oliver PLYMPTON, a son of
Abner PLYMPTON, entered the
ministry and preached in Peru.
He died in 1813, and was
buried on the day he was to
have been married.

Frederick WHEELOCK is in the
practice of medicine in Albion,
Mich.

Daniel WALKER studied
medicine and settled in
Georgia.

G. W. BARBER practiced
medicine many years in De
Peyster, N. Y., but became
insane and committed suicide.

Chas. A. WHITE graduated at
Williams College in 1817,
graduated at the Dartmouth
Medical College in 1820, and
practiced medicine over 50 years.

Edward Jenner WARREN, son of
John Parker WARREN, was an
alumnus of Dartmouth College.
He became eminent as a lawyer
and judge in North Carolina.

Lieut. John Wheelock WARREN,
son of John Parker WARREN,
entered Williams College in the
class of 1860, but was
compelled by failing health to
relinquish the course. At the
outbreak of the rebellion he
enlisted in the 1st Wis. Calvary
and served in that Regt. till
March, 1865, when he
mustered out. He was several
times wounded and for some
months was a prisoner of war in
the prison at Salisbury, N. C. he
died at Brattleboro, March 27,
1875.

Samuel R. WARREN, son of
John Parker WARREN,
graduated at Yale College in
the class of 1860. He read law
and was admitted to the bar of
New York in 1862.

Miles KNOWLTON graduated at
Hamilton College, N. Y., and
has been a missionary in China
the last 15 years.

George GAIKER graduated at
Wesleyan University, Conn. He
studied law and became a
judge in the West.

Levi KNIGHT, Jr., is a teacher in
Georgia.

Wales CHENEY was educated at
the Military Academy, Norwich,
Vt.
page678

Transcribed by a Volunteer, List Member,
VTWINDHA-L@rootsweb.com This is a work in
progress, town histories will be submitted as
time allows. Thank you to RootsWeb for
hosting this site. You may use the
information provided on these pages for your
personal genealogical use. No part of these
pages may be harvested and sold for profit.
Copyright 2003, Sue Downhill
sudown@cwnet.com

Re: History of Wardsboro - part 3 of 3

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 11:51PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Vermont Historical Gazetteer a local History
of all the Towns in the State, Civil,
Educational, Biographical, Religious and
Military. Vol. V. The Towns of Windham
County. Collated by Abby Maria Hemenway.
Published by Mrs. Carrie E. H. Page,
Brandon, VT. 1891.

For a full page view go to:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/vt_gazetteer-wardsboro.htm
Home page:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vtwindha/VT_Gazetteer_V5_Towns_of_W...

part 3 of 3 pages 678 through 683

PROF. R. D. C. ROBBINS.
[BY LYMAN M. KNAPP, ESQ.,
MIDDLEBURY.]

Rensselear David Chanceford
ROBBINS was born in
Wardsboro, in 1812. He was left
an orphan at the age of two
and a half years, with a sister
who afterward married Rev. C.
MUZZY of the Madura Mission,
where she died early in the
missionary service.

His first years were spent on a
farm, with such opportunities
for education as a common
school afforded, until he was
16, when he attended the
academy at Brattleboro for a
time, and afterward that at
Chester, teaching a district
school in the winter. He spent a
year in New Jersey as a teacher,
pursuing his classical studies
meanwhile. In the spring of
1832, he entered Middlebury
College and graduated in 1835.
In this class, one of the largest
ever graduated at Middlebury,
and peculiarly rich, as it seems
to the author, in every variety of
talent, he distinguished himself
by his fidelity and
completeness in every
department of study, and
especially by his proficiency in
the classics. _ Studious and
hearty in his intimacies he
quietly mastered his place and
his work.

In the autumn of 1835 he
visited the south, then an
inviting field for Northern
teachers, and spent a year in
that employment, but returned
in the winter of 1837, and for
nearly a year had charge of the
academy in Royalton.

He entered the Theological
Seminary at Andover in 1838,
but was induced to spend a
year at Middlebury College as
tutor, when he returned to
Andover and graduated with his
class in 1841. His ardent relish
for classical and sacred
literature has here found its
gratification and led to his
continuation at the seminary
till he received his appointment
to the Greek professorship at
Middlebury College.

Professor ROBBINS has
published a translation of
Hengstenbeorg’s "Egypt and the
Books of Moses;" an annotted
edition of Xenophon’s
Memorabilia, and various
historical, biblical and classical
articles in the Bibliotheca Sacra
and Biblical Repository. He also
edited Prof. STUART'S work.

DR. DANA HYDE,
a much esteemed physician,
and his son 10 years of age
were drowned near the North
Village in the branch that falls
into West River, April 26, 1850.
The Doctor was at the time
residing at West Townsend
Village. Having business in
Waresboros[sic], he started at
10 A.M., with horse and wagon
to go to the North Village:
hearing the bridge that way had
been swept away by the flood,
he took the hill, or old road
through the south part of
Jamaica, some farther than the
stage-road. About three o'clock,
he started back, and thinking,
doubtless, to save some travel
by fording the stream, though
cautioned against making the
attempt, he made it. On the
abutment of the bridge, he took
a view; the water was high and
swift, the ford-way full of rocks,
yet he resumed his seat in his
buggy and drove in. He scarcely
reached mid-way, as seen by a
man who watched with anxiety
the attempt, when the body of
the wagon, connected to the
axle by a king-bolt not keyed,
separated from the fore-wheels,
throwing the Doctor and his boy
into the water upon the rocks,
causing the instant death of
both. The alarm was given at
the village and the bodies
rescued and carried home the
same night.

DEATH OF JUDGE WARREN.
From the Washington, Carolina
Paper, of Dec. 16, 1876.

We are pained to have to
announce the death of one of
our most honored and
esteemed townsmen. The Hon.
E. J. WARREN died at his
residence on the morning of
Sunday, Dec. 10th inst. He was
born in Vermont, Dec. 23, 1826,
and came to live in this town
soon after he arrived of age. He
taught school here for a short
time. In 1849, he obtained
license as an attorney, and
soon took a place in the first
rank of the profession along
with men of such ability as
HAWKS, SPARROW, RODMAN
and others.

He represented the county of
Beaufort in the Convention of
1860, and several terms in the
Legislature. In 1871-72 he was
Speaker of the Senate. At the
close of the war, he was
appointed a Judge of the
Superior Court, which office he
held until the adoption of the
Constitution of 1868. He
discharged its duties in such a
way as to receive the entire
approbation of all who
appeared before him, whether
as attorneys or suitors. His
reading in the law had been
unusually extensive, and its
principles were familiar. He
rarely erred in their application.
Naturally of a warm and
earnest temper, he had decided
opinions on most questions,
political or other, and he had
decided likes and dislikes
among individuals, but on the
Bench, to all persons, in every
case, he was patient, attentive,
and courteous. Every argument
was fully heard and carefully
weighed, and his quick,
cultivated judgment enabled
him to give a prompt decision.
His perfect impartiality was
never questioned. He will be
long remembered by all who
practiced before him as the
model of a Judge.

MRS. H. T. ROBINSON.
At her death it was written [in
the obituary - see page 8 of this
history.]* "She was the second
daughter of the late Rev. James
TUFTS of Wardsboro, of whose
family of six children only two
now survive - Mrs. NEWTON of
Newfane and Rev. James TUFTS
of Monson, Mass. Mrs.
ROBINSON was married in
1830, and survived her
husband but two weeks. She
was a woman of rare mental
ability, possessing a tenacious
memory and an extensive fund
of information upon most
literary and scientific subjects -
which, however, owing to her
extreme sensitiveness, was
known only to her most
intimate friends. Her familiarity
with the Scriptures was well
known; in the midst of great
trials she always found
consolation in the precious
promises contained therein.
She was the mother of four
children - three sons and one
daughter - to whom she gave
most of her educational
advantage. William H. and
James T. were residents of
Peoria, Ill., for 20 years
previous to their decease, and
were widely known as
successful business men. Henry
J. died in early manhood from
the effects of malarial fever
contracted in Kansas, whither
he had gone as a pioneer. The
daughter has been spared to
take care of her parents in
these later years of declining
health and strength. By a
strange coincidence, the death
of Mrs. ROBINSON'S brother,
Deacon John TUFTS of Geneseo,
Ill., took place of the same day
as her own - Feb. 15, 1885.

Thus brother and sister took
their flight almost together from
their homes, where they were
greatly loved, and entered into
the rest that remaineth for the
people of God."

IN MEMORIAM.
"AN OLD LANDMARK GONE."
[Brattleboro Paper.]
In Dr. J. P. WARREN, who died
at his residence on Green
street, Saturday, Sept. 14,
1878, Brattleboro loses one of
those patriarchal landmarks of
a former generation, who are so
instinctively honored, and
Windham county is deprived of
what was one once of its largest
and most vigorous intellects.
Until within a few days of his
death he seemed to be in the
most robust health, enjoying
live with as much zest as many
men 40 years younger. He was
born in Wardsboro, Aug. 20,
1795, and at this death was
trifle over 83. He studied
medicine, first with Dr. W. R.
RANNEY, and afterwards with
Dr. Jonathan A. ALLEN of
Brattleboro, and graduated
from the Dartmouth Medical
College in 1820. He continued
in practice in Wardsboro until
1842, earning an excellent
reputation as a physician, and
being called to nearly every part
of the county. He represented
the town in the Legislature in
1839 and 1840. Leaving
Wardsboro, he removed to
Chesterfield, N. H., where he
remained a few years. He
afterwards resided several
years in Fayetteville, taking the
place of Dr. OLDS, removing to
Brattleboro about 20 years ago.

In 1820 he married Lucy
Maynard WHEELOCK, who still
survives him [died Sept. 15,
1880], a sister of Judges Henry
and Emery WHEELOCK, who
have both been prominent men
in the county. His family
numbered nine sons and three
daughters, even of whom are
now living. His oldest son
Charles, died in this village in
early manhood. His second son,
Edward Jenner WARREN, was a
judge of the Supreme Court of
North Carolina; he died in 1876.
Five of the sons were in the late
war. Lieut. John Wheelock
WARREN, a veteran of the 1st
Wisconsin calvary, was several
times wounded and for some
months a prisoner of war in a
rebel prison: he died in this
town in 1875. Capt. Frank E.
WARREN, a veteran of the 8th
Vermont volunteers, took part
in all of the engagements of his
regiment, and was wounded at
the battle of Winchester, Va.
His youngest son, Charles
Herbert, was killed in action.
His second daughter, Jennie,
died in Michigan in 1880.

Dr. WARREN was a man of
noble presence and rare
dignity, and while familiar with
the best works in literature,
devoted much time to reading
in the line of his profession. He
was particularly fond of botany,
mineralogy and chemistry, and
made one of the best
collections of minerals in
Southern Vermont. His
educational advantages,
supplements by a tenacious
memory, practical judgment,
vigor and strength of mind,
made him, locally at least, one
of the great men of the county.
Some eight years since he
prepared a history of Wardsboro
which is now in the hands of
Miss HEMENWAY for
publication.

ROBERT BABCOCK.
Died in Wardsboro, Vt., August
23, 1863, age 104 years and six
months.

Very few, probably who read
that brief notice, gave it more
than a moment's attention, or
thought of anything more than
the extraordinary old age to
which the subject of it attained.
But Robert BABCOCK served his
country in the war for
Independence, and was an
actor in one of the most gallant
exploits of the war. Of the
actors in that exploit, he
supposed himself to be, and
there is no reason to doubt that
he was, the last survivor.

Rather more than two lines are
due to the memory of such a
man, and though his porsonal
[sic] history is unknown, and
perhaps of small account
except us as connected with
that event, it is proper to record
in this connection the facts of
the transaction.

The capture of Gen. LEE by the
British in the summer of 1777,
was a serious damage to the
American arms, not only by
depriving them of his services,
which were immediately
needed, but by embarrassing
them in vain endeavors of
effect an exchange of some
British officers for him. This
they could not do, as they had
no officer of equal rank. In this
emergency, William BARTON,
then a lieutenant-colonel in the
Rhode Island militia, and
afterwards a resident of
Vermont and founder of the
town of Barton, conceived the
bold idea of capturing a British
general, and so effecting the
release of LEE. Sir Wm.
PRESCOTT, the
commander-in-chief of the
British forces in Rhode Island,
had his headquarters at the
house of a Quaker, named
OVERING, on an island near the
main land. BARTON planned an
expedition for his capture, and
on the night of July 10, 1777,
taking with him 40 picked men
in two boats, he eluded the
vigilance of the ships and
gunboats by which the island
was surrounded and arrived
undiscovered at the
headquarters of Gen.
PRESCOTT. He was not aware of
their approach till they arrived
at the very door of the chamber
in which he slept. The door was
closed and fastened, and the
Americans were considerably
delayed in their endeavors to
effect an entrance. At length a
Negro, named PRINCE,
converted his head into a
battering-ram, and drawing
back a little distance he
pitched head-fore-most through
the door, and surprised the
General in his bed. Without
allowing him time even to
dress, Gen. PRESCOTT'S captors
marched him to the boat,
reached the bay in safety, and
eventually delivered their
prisoner at WASHINGTON'S
head-quarters. The capture
caused a great deal of chagrin
to the British and no less
exultation among the
Americans. It had the designed
effect and secured the speedy
exchange of General LEE.

Among those forty picked men
was Robert BABCOCK, then only
nineteen years of age. His share
in that exploit was among the
choicest recollections of his live,
and after he had outlived a
century nothing delighted him
more than to recall and narrate
the adventures of that eventful
night.

REV. EBENEZER G. BRADFORD.
BY REV. PLINY H. WHITE
Rev. Ebenezer Green BRADFORD
died in Leverett, Mass., August
29, 1861, aged 60 years, 3
months and 5 days. He was a
lineal descendant in the
seventh generation from the
distinguished William
BRADFORD, one the May-flower
Pilgrims, and for thirty years
Governor of Plymouth Colony;
and through him was related to
John BRADFORD, the intimate
friend of ROGERS, HOOPER,
LATIMER and RIDLEY, and like
them a martyr at the stake in
Smith-field.

He was the fourth son of Rev.
Moses and Sarah (EATON)
BRADFORD, and was born in
Francestown, N. H., May 24,
1801. He was graduated at
Amherst in 1827; studied
theology at Andover one year;
finished his course with Rev.
John M. WHITON, D. D., of
Antrim, N. H., and was licensed
by the Union Association, at
Goffstown, N. H., August 12,
1829. His first settlement was
at Colebrook, N. H., where he
was ordained February 29,
1832. Rev. James TISDALE, of
Guildhall, Vt., preached the
sermon.

He was dismissed from
Colebrook in February, 1836,
and received a call from the
Congregational Church in
Wardsboro, Vt., May 30, 1836,
and was there installed October
5, 1836. His brother, Rev.
Moses B. BRADFORD, of
Grafton, Vt., preached the
sermon. He was dismissed May
24, 1842, and removed to
Wisconsin, where he was a
stated supply of the N. S.
Presbyterian Church in
Plattville, a year and three
months; of the Congregational
Church in Prairie du Lac, three
years and two months; and of
the Congregational Church in
Waupun, three years.

In December, 1850, he
commenced preaching at
Princeton, Wis., organized a
Congregational Church there in
1852, and continued his labors
with that church till March 30,
1861. His health failing, he
returned to New England, and
gradually sank of paralysis.

Peter HAMMOND, of Geneseo,
Ill., died on the anniversary of
his 102d birthday. Until within
a few months Mr. HAMMOND,
despite his great years, enjoyed
almost perfect health: retained
the full measure of his
faculties; walked to church
nearly a mile on pleasant
Sundays; read without glasses
and seemed as happy and
connected with life as any of
his children. The father of Mr.
HAMMOND was one of the
patriots of the Revolution, and
took part in the destruction of
the tea in Boston harbor.
Subsequently he removed to
Wardsboro, Windham county in
this state, then a wilderness,
where he died in 1842, aged 94
years. Peter remained at
Newton with his grandparents
until his mother made the
journey on horseback after him,
a distance of 125 miles, and
returned with him, he walking
the entire way by her side. In
1802, he married Charlotte
HOLBROOK, daughter of a
prominent citizen of Wardsboro,
and for 53 years they continued
to reside in the house which he
built and occupied soon after
their marriage. At the death of
his wife, in 1856, Mr.
HAMMOND moved to Geneseo,
Ill. At the age of 100 years, his
physicians declared that there
was not a diseased organ in his
body.

Squire ELMER, born in Somers,
Ct., 1781, was a soldier of
1812, for 2 years; at 37, one
January day, out on business,
so froze his feet that he had to
have both amputated, and for
47 years after was a hard
working man, always walking
upon his knees.

JACKSON NEWELL, ESQ.
died in Shelburne, Mass., Mar.
26th, aged 68 years. He was a
native of Coleraine, Mass, but
through all the years of active
business life resided in
Wardsboro. He was a merchant
for about thirty years.

PROF. L. F. WARD,
whose life was given to
education, who has been
already mentioned in this
history among the educated
and distinguished sons of
Wardsboro, and who was
deceased about two years sine,
we think, on the 25th
anniversary of the Powers
Institute, at Bernardston, was
thus eulogized in the speech at
the evening of the grand day for
Bernardston, by the orator of
the occasion. P. W. Williams,
Principal of the Davenport (Ia.)
high schools:
Prof. L. F. WARD was the first
principal of the institute. For
seven years his life was the life
of the institute. He brought with
him the vigor of youth, the
ambition of manhood and the
discrimination of maturity. As a
teacher his illustrations were
homely and pointed, his logic
clean and his meaning never
obscure; with a rich gift of
language he never failed for the
right word. Soon after Prof.
WARD became connected with
the school, he demanded a
boarding-house, and Cushman
hall was built. Under his
administration the school was a
success, and in 1860 there were
600 pupils connected with the
school, a number not since
reached. Prof. WARD was the
chief and attractive instructor
of the first few years. He formed
a library and organized
debating clubs. He tried in
1860, to get the Legislature to
appropriate $20,000 for the
purpose of organizing an
agricultural department, and
the General Court in 1869 was
petitioned to found a normal
school department in
connection with the Powers
institute. Both schemes failed.
After he left this school he was
for three years superintendent
of the Northampton schools, a
member at one time of the
Vermont council of censors,
served in the Legislature for two
years and for three years was
member of the state board of
education. He died last year
from over-work and the greatest
monument of his life is this
institution which he loved and
for which he did so much. The
old pupils that still live are now
scattered and each is spreading
his little censor of influence
secured from the master hand.

* Not included in the book

Transcribed by a Volunteer, List Member,
VTWINDHA-L@rootsweb.com This is a work in
progress, town histories will be submitted as
time allows. Thank you to RootsWeb for
hosting this site. You may use the
information provided on these pages for your
personal genealogical use. No part of these
pages may be harvested and sold for profit.
Copyright 2003, Sue Downhill
sudown@cwnet.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

  • Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions