Search for content in message boards

Krebs Family from Switzerland to Tuscarawas Co., OH around 1880

Krebs Family from Switzerland to Tuscarawas Co., OH around 1880

Posted: 4 Mar 2007 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking descendants of the Krebs family that immigrated from Switzerland to Tuscarawas Co., OH aound 1880. Would like to know from where in Switzerland they originated.
Thanks!
Peggy

Re: Krebs Family from Switzerland to Tuscarawas Co., OH around 1880

Posted: 5 Mar 2007 11:07PM GMT
Surnames: Krebs Oesch
Jacob Krebs (b. ca. 1817) and his family came to the US in ca. 1850. They were from Wattinwil, Canton Bern, just west of Thun, Switzerland. His wife Barbara Oesch Krebs was from Wahlern, Switzerland. I am not sure this is the family you are looking for.

If you have specific individuals they may be listed in the German Churchbooks for Tusc. translated by Maxine Eberle and distributed by the Ragersville Historical Society. They are on-line.

Posted: 6 Mar 2007 1:18AM GMT
Thanks for your reply to my message. I do not think this is the same family since our Jacob did not immigrate. Adolph Jonathan Krebs came to the U.S. about 1880 with his uncles, Gottlieb and Daniel. They all settled in Tuscarawas County but I have no idea where they orginated from in Switzerland.
Are the church books you mentioned available to view online or just to purchase?
I appreciate your assistance!
Peggy

Posted: 6 Mar 2007 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Krebs Beutler Kohler
The churchbook for St. John's Church in Dover, Ohio has many references to Gottlieb Krebs, who married Susanna Beutler. They had many children baptized here. In most instances it just says "from Canton Bern, Swi.", however, in one instance it says (for Gottlieb) born in Wattenwile, Canton Bern and (for Susanna) Buchholdberg, Canton Bern, Swi., resp. (p. 157).

One baptism for Adolph Krebs is for Carl Louis Krebs, b. 14 Mar 1899 in Canal Dover, Ohio to Aldoph Krebs and Maria nee Kohler, born in Canton Bern Swi. and Tusc. Co., Ohio, resp. (p. 184)

This book is for sale from the Ragersville (Ohio) Historical Society. It is not on-line. Please support them.

I hopes this helps.

GS

Posted: 7 Mar 2007 2:48AM GMT
Thank you so much for this information! This is the family I am looking for so this imformation is quite helpful. I will investigate the church books also. I appreciate your assistance!
Peggy

Posted: 8 Mar 2007 11:03PM GMT
If you go to the following:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?P...

and then choose the Family History Library Catalog (top center) and use the keyword "Wattenwil" you should come to the film notes for that town's churchbook.

At your local Family History Center you can rent that film for 6 weeks for $5.50 and look it over. Since you have approximate birthdates it should not be too hard to get to the appropriate spot on the film. While the script is old and sometimes challenging, the Swiss were very orderly. I am enjoying searching for my Swiss relatives in these films.

Contact me off-board at ghspies@yahoo.com if you wish to discuss it further.

GS

GS

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 12:44AM GMT
Thank you for the suggestion! As a matter of fact, I just ordered those films today from my local FHC. I probably will contact you when I start looking through them. I appreciate all of your help!
Peggy

Posted: 12 Mar 2007 4:22AM GMT
Which of the Krebs are you looking for? I have the family of Jacob Krebs who came from Wattenwill, Switzerland, sometime around 1850--going by the kids birthdays and birthplaces. How do they fit in with yours--the kids are Jacob, Anna Elizabeth and John all born in Switzerland, and then Sarah, Eli, Frederick and Mary in Ohio. They settled around Ragersville. My relative is Sarah who married Rudolph Mosshart, who was a older stepbrother of my great grandfather.

Posted: 13 Mar 2007 12:28AM GMT
Hi Mary,
Thanks for your reply to my post. I am looking for information on Adolph Jonathan Krebs and his wife Mary Kohler. Adolph was the son of Jacob Krebs, who did not immigrate to Ohio from Wattenwil with the rest of the family. Adolph immigrated with his uncles, Gottlieb and Daniel about 1880. It sounds like your Krebs ancestor was in Ohio alot earlier. Could it be that these groups are related and that's why they came to Ohio?
Peggy

Posted: 13 Mar 2007 10:18PM GMT
There is an article on Mary Kohler Krebs, her mother and maternal grandparents (mostly the elders) in “History of Tuscarawas County Ohio, 1888” (p. 474). John Stucky b. 20 Jun 1821 in Wichtrach, Swi., d. 27 Dec 1903. Elizabeth Roth, his wife, b. 1822 in Buccholterberg, Switzerland, d. 11 Aug 1895. She was the daughter of Johann Ulrich Roth (1799-1871) and Magdalena Englman. John Stucky’s dau. Elizabeth married Jacob Kohler and had John b. 1871, Mary b. 1875 and William b. 1877. Jacob Kohler and Elizabeth Stucky were married in Tuscarawas County on 20 Jun 1869.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions