Search for content in message boards

MORROW, Samuel-Westmoreland PA ca. 1780

MORROW, Samuel-Westmoreland PA ca. 1780

Posted: 10 Aug 2003 11:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Oct 2005 12:11PM GMT
I am looking for the date/location of the birth or death of Samuel Morrow of Westmoreland Co, PA, father of James, or any other children of Samuel.

According to my g-g-grandmother Carmie, Samuel came to America from County Tyron, Ireland prior to 1781 and settled in Adams Co, PA, subsequently Westmoreland Co. The 1790 Westmoreland Co, S. Huntington Twp census shows a Samul Morrow, 1m16+, 5m under 16 and 4 females. I have only identified Samuel's son James. Also noted in the same census is: Georg; 1m16+, 0m under 16, 2 females; and Chrles, 1m16+, 1m under 16, 1 female. I suspect Georg and Charles are probably Samuel's brothers, who supposedly fought in the Revolution.

Samuel's son, James W., b. 1788 S. Huntington Twp, Westmoreland Co; d. 31 Dec 1842 Barren Run District, S. Huntington Twp; m. 27 Nov 1810 (unk) to Jane Ferguson.

Again from the notes of Carmie, ca. 1939 (who was working with Hester Ann Morrow Anderson): James had eleven children; seven sons (two twins) and four daughters. Two children were deceased before James died. James W. Morrow was a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Mt. Pleasant. He was buried at the Presbyterian Church Cem., Mt. Pleasant with his wife, and both were later re-interned at the New Cemetery at Mt. Pleasant. James owned land at Barren Run, Westmoreland Co., PA and received some of his early education at the Old Kalkesher School House, at Barren Run (in 1825 known as the Frick School House). Children from family bible.

I believe that Barren Run, is located about 1 mi east of Smithton, Westmoreland Co, PA, on Rt. 981, where Barren Run creek intersects the road.

I have further information on the family of James Morrow if you are interested.

Thanks, Glen

Re: MORROW, Samuel-Westmoreland PA ca. 1780

james norris (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2004 4:05AM GMT
my morrow line begins with a samuel morrow, son of a jamie or james morrow. they are from westmoreland co., pa. the james you are talking about is the closest person that i have seen who might be a relative, but with the information that i have, i have been unable to find a connection. my samuel was born about 1803 and married elizabeth hamilton, daughter of alexander hamilton from westmoreland co., pa. alexander married elizabeth steele, daughter of james steele, also from westmoreland co. these people are not just from westmoreland co., they are also from the same township as your samuel and james.

Re: MORROW, Samuel-Westmoreland PA ca. 1780: James Morrow

Posted: 7 Mar 2004 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: Morrow, Forsythe, Rhodes
Right now my postulation is that your James maybe the son of George or Charles. Unfourtunately I have very little on those two.

i. Morrow, b. Ireland
a. Morrow, Samuel; 1 m 16+, 5 m under 16; 4 females.
James W. Morrow, b. 1788 m Jane Ferguson> son Samuel b. 1815 m. Rebecca Smith
b. Morrow, Georg; 1 m 16+, 0 m under 16, 2 females.
James?> Samuel b. 1803?
c. Morrow, Chrles, 1 m 16+, 1 m under 16, 1 female.
James?> Samuel b. 1803?

Based on the 1790 census and if the above three are bothers birth order is probably Samuel, b. say bef 1768, then much later George or Charles.

Family of James W. Morrow
James W. Morrow b: 1788 South Huntington Twp, Westmoreland Co, PA d: 31 Dec 1842 Barren Run District, S. Huntington Twp, Westmoreland Co, PA bu: Presby Ch Cem, Mt Pleasant, Westmoreland Co, PA. m: Jane Ferguson b: 1786 Lancaster Co, PA d: 07 Mar 1855 S. Huntington Twp bu: Presby Ch Cem, Mt Pleasant m: 27 Nov 1810.

Children:
1. Elizabeth Morrow b: 04 Aug 1811 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp d: 07 Feb 1900.

2. Robert Ferguson Morrow b: 28 Mar 1813 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp d: 10 Dec 1886 bu: Hoffman Cem, S. Huntington Twp.

3. Samuel Morrow b: 21 Apr 1815 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp d: 19 Jun 1867 bu: homestead, S. Huntington Twp.
-------- +Rebecca Smith b: 08 Jan 1812

4. James Washington Morrow b: 15 May 1818 Westmoreland Co, PA d: 25 Jan 1891 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp bu: Hoffman Cem, S. Huntingdon Twp.

5. Mary Ann Morrow b: 25 Jun 1819 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp d: 04 Nov 1863 S. Huntington Twp, bu: Hoffman Cem, S. Huntington Twp.

6. David Morrow b: 29 Aug 1821 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp d: 27 Feb 1888 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp, bu: Hoffman Cem, S. Huntington Twp.

7. John Campbell Morrow b: 06 Mar 1823 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp, d: 14 Dec 1903 Westmoreland Co, bu: Wesley Chapel Cem (pr, E. Huntington Twp)
-------- +Elizabeth Sheppard b: 20 Mar 1826 Reagantown, Westmoreland Co, PA m: 22 Apr 1847 Westmoreland Co, PA.

8. Sara Jane Morrow b: 03 Mar 1825 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp, d: 14 Dec 1899 Jacob's Creek, Westmoreland Co, PA bu: Wesley Chapel Cem (pr, E. Huntington Twp).

9. Martha Morrow b: 23 Apr 1828 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp, d: 23 Feb 1902 Banning, Fayette Co, PA bu: Hoffman Cem, S. Huntington Twp.
-------- +Thomas J. Forsythe b: 19 Mar 1822 Fayette Co, PA d: 22 Dec 1898 Banning, Perry Twp, Fayette Co, PA m: 28 Aug 1847 PA.

10. Jeremiah Morrow b: 29 Jun 1832 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp d: 25 Dec 1923 bu: Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp.
-------- +Margaret Highlands d: Bef. 1923.

11. William Morrow b: 29 Jun 1832 S. Huntington Twp d: 29 Mar 1907 Barren Run, S. Huntington Twp bu: Barren Run, S. Huntington.
-------- +Catherine Rhodes m: 06 Jun 1876.

Sincerely, Glen

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 3:08AM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2005 10:24PM GMT
I am sitting here looking for information on Samuel Morrow, County Tyrone before he came to the US. The information you posted is similar to what I have. Samuel is my GGGGGrandfather. Samuel, James, Jeremiah, James, Jeremiah, James, then me! I do have a list of Samuels children. Have anythng on Samuel's Ireland hometown? We shoud talk. Regards, Jim

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 3:57AM GMT
Hi Jim,

I'd like to exchange notes on your line. Unfoutunately I suspect you and I are looking at the same sources. The ones I have don't give me any good leads in Ireland, though I'll admit, I've not done any real research there.

Drop me a note and I'll provide more details on what I have.

Glen
GLSWARTZ@aol.com

----------------------------------------------------------
Author: Jim Morrow Date: 19 Nov 2004
I am sitting here looking for information on Samuel Morrow, County Tyrone before he came to the US. The information you posted is similar to what I have. Samuel is my GGGGGrandfather. Samuel, James, Jeremiah, James, Jeremiah, James, then me! I do have a list of Samuels children. Have anythng on Samuel's Ireland hometown? We shoud talk. Regards, Jim

Posted: 28 Nov 2004 5:50PM GMT
Surnames: Morrow
I have a James Morrow that was born in 1774 possibly on a ship coming from Ireland. I have nothing about his parents or siblings. He married Mary Davis about 1796 and had two boys, Robert Davis Morrow and David Baxter Morrow. David is the father of Robert Morrow born about 1835 in Missouri. Robert is the father of George W. Morrow born 1856 in Missouri. George is the father of Albie G. Morrow born 1886 in Collins Missouri. Ablie is the father of my grandmother, Dorothy Mae Morrow born in Fort Scott Kansas June 1918. Is this James Morrow part of your line? More info would be helpful to me.

Posted: 28 Nov 2004 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2005 10:24PM GMT
The James in my reference was born in 1788 in PA. Died 1853. Wife - Jane Ferguson.

His father, Samuel arrived in the US about 1754 from CO Tyrone, Ireland. Samuel also had two brothers, James and William, but my information reflects they probably arrived about the same time.

James and his decendants seemed to stay in Western PA. He had a brother (William) that moved to Bloomington IL and another (David) to Iowa. David had three sones - Rev W.W. Morrow (Chandler, Oklahoma) , John Morrow (Iowa) and James Washington Morrow (went to Tennessee). All fought in the Civil War.

Unfortunately, I don't see a connection.

Debbie (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2004 1:04AM GMT
Thank you for getting back to me anyway.

Posted: 6 Mar 2005 5:31AM GMT
I am very interested in your Samuel Morrow who married Elizabeth Hamilton. My ancestor is John Morrow who married Sarah Hamilton, also a daughter of Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Steele. Would very much like to compare notes. I am just now reading an orphan's court document that mentions your Samuel's property about 1834. Please get in touch.

Posted: 13 Oct 2008 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Morrow
My family descends from Samuel; and I thought his son James, but now know it's one of his other sons. Please list his children. Grandchildren would be appreciated too if you know of any.

Have you found any more on Samuel's hometown in Co. Tyrone?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic