Search for content in message boards

Dorans & Duffy Kilmarnock

Dorans & Duffy Kilmarnock

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 3:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duffy Dorans
I am looking for information on Jean Duffy and David Dorans. I have them on the marriage certificate of my great grand parents William Skilling and Elizabeth Dorans. I am interested in finding the parents of Jean Duffy and David Dorans and where they were from. There were in kilmarnock, but even on Scotlands people I am having trouble finding them.

Transcript of William and Elizabeths wedding that Jean and David are mentioned on is below

Transcription of text in document
1925 - 31st December at St josephs church, kilmarnock - Roman Catholic Church
William Skilling, 21, General labourer - 99 Titchfield Street, Kilmarnock.
Father: Alexander Skilling, Carpenters? labourer - deceased
Mother: Rose Simpson
Elizabeth Dorans, 18, Millworker (spinster) - 32 Fore? Street, kilmarnock
Father: David Dorans, Tramway Motorman
Mother: Jean Duffy
signed: Wm J McBurnie of St jospehs Roman catholic church
Witness: John McNulty, 32 Fore Street, Kilmarnock
Mary McNulty " " " " " "

Re: Dorans & Duffy Kilmarnock

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 11:14PM GMT
I cannot pinpoint this couple for you exactly, but there is a marriage between a JOHN Dorans and a HELEN M Duffy 1916 in Blythswood, Glasgow, which you can view on the website http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, the official website of Statutory Registrations of BMDs in Scotland post-1855. It is possible they are connected to the other couple, but you would have to view the actual record to make that judgment.
There is also the death record of Helen McGarrigle Doran (no "s"), nee Duffy, available to view as well. She died in Provan, Glasgow in 1941, age 42. Both the marriage and death records would likely give you the names of her parents and possibly of other relatives as well.

You can also look at http://www.familysearch.org, which is a free website, and you will find records of a David Dorans in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, one of whom may be connected to the one you are looking for. Sometimes Dorans (an Irish name) is spelt with the alternative spelling of "Doran".

Hugh

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 8:01PM GMT
Have you made any progress yet on finding your Dorans forebears? The earliest family I could find in Kilmarnock is the family of Patrick DORRAN which is in the 1841 Census http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl. I have also located his death record in Kilmarnock in 1877. There are other members of the family listed in the Census, among them a Hugh and a David, probably brothers of Patrick. This is very probably the family you are looking for, all coming from Ireland to Kilmarnock before 1841.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 6:32AM GMT
Thank hugh. Yes David Dorans and his father patrick Dorans (all different spellings). I have a mystery about David though. His daughter Lizzie Dorans is my great grandmother. in the 1911 census she is 3 years old and living with her maternal grandparents. David dorans and his wife jean duffy are no where to be seen, and as thats the last census, i dont know what happened to them. Im having trouble finding out when they died, or other kids etc.

Do you know anything?

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 3:36AM GMT
Like you I have been unable to locate the David Dorans and Jean Duffy in question. Perhaps one lead to follow is through the maternal grandparents of Lizzie Dorans in the 1911 Census. What are their names and ages at that date? I have discovered that the children of David Dorans in the Kilmarnock Census of 1881 apparently emigrated to America, and he may have gone with them, as I have found no death record for him. Their names were Agnes b 1852, Patrick b 1856, and twin brothers John and Thomas b 1863 and at least 3 of them can be found on the FamilySearch.org website to be in the USA (I am not sure about Thomas who may have remained in Scotland).

Where are you located yourself, i.e which continent? I am to be found in Toronto, Canada.

Hugh

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 8:47AM GMT
Thanks. i will look into that!

I am now in Australia. I left Scotland in 2002 and travelled to Asia, ended up in Oz. My family are still in Ayrshire (my parents are from Kilmarnock).
I have found a lady (relative) through lizzie dorans grandparents. Her father has a great Aunt Peggy, that is half sister to his someone (daughter of one of the Dorans folk in the tree.) She said Peggy is still alive, and has a great memory. I have asked her if she knows anything. I will also ask now if she heard of anyone emigrating to the US. Was is normal to leave a young child behind? I mean - the mother isn't anywhere either.

it is horribly addictive isn't it - especially when you cant find something. I will keep looking until I have answers. Thank you for your help :)

How is your search going?

Jacqui

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 6:37PM GMT
Jacqui:

Thanks for the info. My own GGF was b in Kilmarnock, and then moved to Glasgow as a young man where he married. My GF later moved to Canada and brought out his young family. It looks like you have taken to OZ, and I'm impressed by the photos and work you have done in tracing your roots.

I found Jean Duffy in her Kilmarnock family in the 1901 Census but nothing since. She was then age 12, which means she was b 1889 (approx.) and 18 when Lizzie was born.

It is quite possible that she and David Dorans were out of Scotland a short time for the 1911 Census, as they don't appear to have emigrated (v. the 1925 Wedding!). The
relatives who emigrated earlier to the States were the family of an earlier David Dorans (possibly an uncle) and they left Scotland after the 1881 Census. His daughter Agnes married Thomas O'Brien in TORONTO, OHIO in 1888.

I'll just keep looking for additional leads, and await any further input you will have.

Hugh

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 2:20PM GMT
Try looking up the Birth Record of Lizzie Dorans in Kilmarnock on ScotlandsPeople. Birth Records usually show marriage records in Scotland if they exist. It turns out that Lizzie was born illegitimate and there was no marriage although the father David DORRANS added his name as father to the record. Mother's name is listed as JANE Duffy and father's address is given as 7 Fleming Street, Riccarton. Lizzie's name is recorded as LIZZIE DUFFY DORRANS. Then you can try accessing her DEATH RECORD. There is one listed for a Lizzie DUFFY (b 1907) in Kilmarnock for 1982. You may be able to find the Death Record for David Dorrans too. There are 3 listed for the County of Ayr after 1925.

Hugh
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions