Search for content in message boards

John CLARK, b.1741

John CLARK, b.1741

Posted: 29 Aug 2003 3:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2004 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Pope, Hawker, Earp, Butts, Dalton, Burgess, Pruitt, Clark, Snoddy, Cook
My line of John Clark born in 1741 St Mary's County Marlyland and he ties in to most of these lines. I am curious if there are any connections to the Clark family that I am unaware of. There are associations for this family in Halifax County NC. This family was closely associated with William Pope in TN.

John was possibly in Montgomery County VA after the Revolutionary War. He was in Pittsylvania County VA by 1786. These families all seemed to migrate to the same areas.
I have yet to locate the first wife of John Clark but I would imagine she is from one of the associated families below.

Ambrose Cook Hawker, Josiah Earp, Zachariah Butt, , Zachariah Pruett and John and Leonard Clarke , John and William Stuart / Stewart and Thomas Hammond were all from Maryland. And migrated to Pittsylvania County VA and Caswell County NC. The intermarried and were generally acquainted.

John Clark had these children: unknown mother

Thomas S Clark born ~1784 in Maryland married Drusilla Earp daughter of Josiah
Mary Nancy Clark born ~1786 in Pittsylvania Co Virginia married Thomas Sadler
Francis Clark born ~ 1790 in Pittsylvania Co Virginia married Sarah Riddle
John C Clark Jr born 1793 in Pittsylvania Co Virginia married Beneta Hughes
Catherine Clark born in Pittsylvania Co Virginia married Jesse Dalton

John married 2nd Jane Cook widow of Elijah Cook
Children:
Sarah Cook step daughter married Berryman Dalton
Braxton Clark born in 1805 in Pittsylvania County VA
Garrison Cook who married Elizabeth Butts daughter of Ruthy Butts

John had a brother in Pittsylvania named Leonard Clark who married Mary Burgess daughter of Edward Burgess. Surety Zachariah Pruitt

Leonard had children
Leonard Clark Jr born in North Carolina who married Ann Snoddy
Edward Burgess Clark born in Pittsylvania County
William Clark born in Pittsylvania County

Ambrose Cook Hawker and Lydia Butts were married in Montgomery Co., MD abt.1759
Josiah Earp and Ellender Hawker were married in Montgomery Co., MD in 1783.
Ellender Hawker was the granddaughter of Ambrose Cook Hawker, and daughter of Basil Hawker.

Ambrose Cook Hawker had a daughter Priscilla Hawker who married a Clark, though to be Henry but could it have been John?

Priscilla Hawker who married Henry Clark may also be related.

Those named in the will of Ambrose Cook Hawker: Williiam Hawker, Basel Hawker heirs, Philip Hawker, Ambrose Hawker, Priscilla Clark, Dorcas Rice, Sarah Riddle, Mary Thompson, Elizabeth Seal, Anna Butt, Lydia Rice, Deborah Earp, Nancy M. Owen, Elizabeth A Gunn, Polly Butt. (relationships not stated)
Wit: William Simpson, Thomas Simpson, William Snoddy (William Simpson also witnessed John Snoddy's will)

ID: I71427838
Name: Phillip HAWKER
Given Name: Phillip
Surname: Hawker
Sex: M
Birth: 1783 in Montgomery Co. MD
Death: 5 Aug 1857 in Pittsylvania Co. VA
Birth: in Question as to MD or VA
Note:
Phillip and Sarah had 7 children. Two possibilities are Philip b. abt.
1822 m. Nancy Earp 12-1-1845 and William b. abt. 1816 m. Rachael Earp
12-17-1849. Both marriages were in Pittsylvania Co. VA. Marriages
1831-1861. There is no confirmation as of 4-12-2001.

Father: Ambrose HAWKER b: 1758

Marriage 1 Sarah SNODDY
Married: 30 Jul 1804 in Washington, VA
Note: _MSTATUnknown
Children
James Cook HAWKER b: 1805 in Pittsylvania Co. Va
Martha Jane HAWKER b: 5 Aug 1805
Jane HAWKER b: 1810
Mary HAWKER b: 1811
Thomas S. HAWKER b: 1822

Marriage dates
John Clark to Jane Cook widow of Elijah Cook Feb 17 1799 surety Josiah Earp
Catherine Clarke d/o John Clarke (consents) to Jesse Dalton surety from Thomas Stewart Clarke 12/26/1804
Leonard Clarke to Mary Burgess d/o William Burgess consents . Surety Zachariah Pruett 1/18/1798
Thomas Stewart Clarke to Drusilla Earp d/o Josiah Earp surety Berryman Dalton.11/11/1805 Josiah Earp gave surety at John's Wedding and Berryman Dalton married John's stepdaughter Sarah Cook. Berryman and Sarah moved to Logan County with John C Clarke .

Elizabeth Cook to Samuel Earp d/o George Cook (brother of Elijah Cook deceased who was husband of Jane Cook who married my John Clarke)8/17/1792 Josiah Earp surety

Priscilla Cook , George Cook consents to Nimrod Earp 1/22/1798. surety Phillip Earp.
Jane Cook (widow) to John Clarke 12/18/1799 surety Josiah Earp.
Mary Nancy Clark d/o John and Jane Clark to Thomas Sadler, surety by George Cook.

Any Help would be appreciated

Cass Johnson

Re: John CLARK, b.1741

chip clark (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2003 8:06PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2004 5:29AM GMT
Surnames: CRUSH, CLARK
Don't know if this will help but I am a Clark from halifax county NC. Father was Edwin clark, grandfather Colie Clark, Great uncles Edwin, Robert, Thomas, david, great aunts Eunice, Elizabeth, Ruth, Hazel. Grandfather Colie married Carrie Crush. Edwin, my father, born 1914, married a Powell from Greenville County Virginia. Lots of Jordans in the family also, since my great grandmother was a Jordan on my father's side and my grandmother was a Virginia Jordan on my mother's side. Unrelated, i hope. Best, Chip Clark

Posted: 7 May 2007 1:53AM GMT
You are the first Clark I've messaged from Halifax Co. I'm a Clark from Hertford Co. My paternal grandfather was Jimmy Conway Clark. I was told he grew up around Aurelian Springs area. I'm not sure exactly where that is but, I remember when I was a little girl, my dad took me to the Littleton area where we visited some Clark Family. I'd love to know if we are connected!

Posted: 26 Jan 2008 4:56AM GMT
Very excited that there are other Clark ancestors out there looking. I live in TX and i am in search of any information about the Clark family of Halifax, Bertie County that migrated some how to Rapides Parish Lousiana, in particular LeCompte, LA. From what my little 83 y/o aunt is telling me John Clark is the father of Thomas Reuben Clark, and Thomas Reuben Clark is the father of Reuben, Ernest,David,Elizabeth, Harriett and Matilda Clark(my great grandmother). I would greatly appreciate any info anyone can find while searching the Clarks. May we are family as well.

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 2:00AM GMT
I'll have to do some digging before I can give you a definite. Haven't looked at my genealogy stuff in a long time. I was born Sandra Clark. My dad was Sidney Thomas Clark. His dad was Jimmie Conway Clark who, I believe, was David Clark's son. I think his name was William David Clark. My granddaddy Jimmie grew up in Halifax County in the Aurealian Springs area. My daddy to me that granddaddy left home when he was about 14. Came to the Hertford County area of NC where he married my grandmother, Nettie Simons. We had family in Littleton, NC which is in Halifax County, also. I remember my dad visiting cousins there when I was little. I do know that my granddaddy's father was married twice and had children by both wives. My granddaddy was by the first wife.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic