Search for content in message boards

North family, westmeath

North family, westmeath

Sheila (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2006 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Sep 2006 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: North
I am looking for information on the North family. My great grandfather William North who lived at Whitewell was originally Church of Ireland but converted to Roman Catholic on or before 1860 when he married my great grandmother. He was born about 1821. We believe his father was John North, brother to David (Fairview) and Isaac North Bomford (Meath). William is on the Griffiths in 1854. I know he was buried with other Norths/Bomfords in the cemetery on the edge of Dunboden. I was just in Westmeath and took pictures.

Re: north family westmeath

Con Maxwell (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2006 9:02AM GMT
Surnames: North
Hello Sheila,
While I have no information on Norths I know that there was a family named Bomford or Bamford in the parish of Multyfarnham , Co Westmeath in the 1800s. I grew up there and have a book written by a local man which lists tombstone inscriptions. If you are interested I can pass the details on to you.They were Protestants.I am in Barcelona.Where are you? You can e-mail me at multymax@yahoo.es

jill hales (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2006 8:32AM GMT
Hello, Sorry to butt into your discussion, but I am researching Johnston's of Newtown Westmeath who left in the Famine Years about 1850. I have not been able to find any reference to them although I know they definately originated from Westmeath some of them settling in Canada. Have you by any chance come across this name in your research.
Regards and Thanks for any help you may give.
Jill

Con Maxwell (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2006 8:42AM GMT
Surnames: Johnston
Hello Jill,
Sorry, I dont know anything about Johnstons of Newton.
Con Maxwell.

Dan Malone (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2006 11:16PM GMT
There are four Newtown Townlands in County Westmeath. One in each of the civil parishes of Ballymore, Mayne, Mullingar and Castletowndelvin. There is also a Newtown Civil Parish.

There are no census records in Ireland for the 1800s and no vital records before 1864 so church registers for each of those locations would be the possible source for baptismal records for them.

Do you know their religious denomination?

Re: north family westmeath (Johnston)

jill hales (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2006 5:06PM GMT
Thank you for reply.

They were Church of Ireland.

Jill

Dan Malone (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2006 9:54AM GMT
Then you'll need to contact the Church of Ireland Archives in Dublin to find where the church registers might be accessed that might have baptismal or marriage records for the family. It would be very helpful for you in your research if you had a bit more information than just the surname and Newtown. For example, the given names, parents names, dates of birth, etc.

Explain you have a location for the family in Newtown, County Westmeath and you understand that's a Civil Parish as well as a townland in the Civil Parishes of Ballymore, Mayne, Mullingar and Castletowndelvin and you want to search for family information in the church register. Most likely the reference was to Newtown Civil Parish because the Civil Parishes were generally the same as the Church of Ireland parishes. But of course, it's always possible the reference was to the townland.

Here's the contact information for the Church Archives. They're generally very prompt responding to queries but there won't be anyone there on the weekend and Monday is a holiday so you won't get a response until later next week.

http://www.ireland.anglican.org/library/libroots.html

Dan Malone (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2006 9:56AM GMT
Sorry Jill, my last post mentioned the North family when I meant to say Johnston which is your family.

jill hales (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2006 3:58PM GMT
Thank you very much for this suggestion I will try this.
regards
Jill

Re: North family, westmeath

Brian Morrissey (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2006 2:34PM GMT
When did he marry your ggrandmother and where? Church registers for that location would be the source to find the marriage record. Where was he born in 1821? What were his parents names? The Church of Ireland Archives can advise what registers survived for that birth location and how they can be accessed:
http://www.ireland.anglican.org/library/libroots.html

I assume you've look at the detailed Griffiths to identify if William was a lessor or occupier for whatever location you found him in County Westmeath. Many occupiers weren't living at the locations they are listed in since many people rented land just for farming and lived elsewhere. Many people also weren't included in Griffiths for various reasons.

How was John North brother to Isaac North Bomford since they both don't have the same last names. What is the reference to Fairview with David? A surname, house name, location?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic