Search for content in message boards

John Frederick Falter of Baltimore, Maryland

John Frederick Falter of Baltimore, Maryland

Posted: 2 May 2010 1:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Falter, Wooddy, Von Munchow, Yardley, Smith
My personal brick wall is my great grandfather, John Frederick Falter (b. 18 Aug 1885, Baltimore, d. 18 Dec 1940, Baltimore). He was the second child born to John Falter (also of Baltimore) and Rose (or Rosa) Jouch (or Youch, Iouch, Jauck, or any of countless other variations).

JFF married Louis von Munchow on 2 Apr 1907 and they had 5 children, George, Mildred, Jeanette, John (Jr.) & Mary, before they were divorced in April, 1916, 4 years after he had abandoned the family. He later married Mary Yardley (later Wooddy).

JFF's mother, Rose, was married to Louis Smith when she died in Baltimore on 8 July 1933. One census shows she was from Switzerland, while another shows she was from Baltimore.

I have no connection to any Falter families outside of Baltimore, but I strongly suspect my Falters ultimately came from Germany. Also, I have some indication that JFF or his family may have spent some time in Pennsylvania, but this is pretty tenuous.

Sorry about the excessive detail, but I wanted to include as much info. as possible for anyone who might see a connection. I welcome any responses.

Thanks,

George Henry Falter, III

Re: John Frederick Falter of Baltimore, Maryland

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 10:48PM GMT
Hello, I just answered a post of yours on genealogy.com...so I guess I'll answer here as well. I'm wondering if you might have some of the missing info I am sort of looking for. I have:

John Francis Falter b. 1873 in PA
his 3rd child, a son name John Francis Falter Jr b. 1910 in MD, 1st married unk, 2nd married Cecilia Mae (Christopher) Becker
from 1st marriage was John F. Falter III
from 2nd marriage was Christina and Christopher

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 10:50PM GMT
oh, I forgot

that John F. Falter I have as being born in 1910 in MD, I have him as died in 1940, in WWII.

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: Falter Christopher Becker Chernault
Wayne -

In your reply to my genealogy.com post, you suggested that I might have some mixed up information. That's possible, but let me share what I know with some level of confidence.

I'm quite sure that my great-grandfather's name was John Frederick Falter and that he was born on 30 August 1885 in Baltimore and died on 18 December 1940. I have copies of his birth certificate, death certificate and application for Social Security number. I also know that he had a son named John Frederick Falter, Jr., who had a son named John Frederick Falter, III, who had a son named John Frederick Falter, IV. It's been a while, but I've been in touch with JFF IV.

I have no information on any John FRANCIS Falter, but I found your reference to Cecilia Mae (Christopher) Becker intriguing. I have a Celia Mae Christopher as a wife of John Frederick Falter, Jr. Here's the quote from her Death Notice from the Baltimore Sun:

“Suddenly, on October 24, 1961, CELIA MAE (nee Christopher), of 2305 East Oliver street, beloved wife of John F. Falter, Jr., and devoted mother of Mrs. Phyllis Chernault, John F. Falter 3d, and Christopher B. Falter. Funeral from the Hoffmann Funeral Home, 3216 [or 3218] Hudson street (entrance on Boulding street), on Friday at 11 A.M. interment in Moreland Memorial Park. Friends may call from 2 to 10 P.M.”

A couple of things I note from this death notice. First, her husband is not identified as "the late" JFF Jr., suggesting that he was alive at the time. The John Frederick Falter, Jr. in my line was born in 1910, but he died much later in 1983. Moreover, I have information that he enlisted on September 24, 1942 in the Air Corps and was a private. Second, Celia Christopher is said to be the mother of both John F. Falter, III and Christopher, in addition to a daughter named Phyllis.

Do you have any more information on John Francis Falter (b. 1873 in PA)? Specifically, do you know the names of his parents and/or siblings?

(FYI - I'll post this message in both forums.)

George H. Falter, III
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions