Search for content in message boards

Ira HAYES, Pima Indian

Ira HAYES, Pima Indian

Posted: 26 Apr 2001 10:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Jan 2002 7:55AM GMT
Surnames: HAYES
Can anyone direct me to where I might find information on the family of Ira Hayes, Pima Indian who served in WWII?
John Hayes

Ira HAYES, Pima Indian

Layne (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2001 10:24AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 11:45PM GMT
Ira Hamilton Hayes was born at the Gila River Res in Az. He was a full blood Pima. Born Jan 12, 1923 place Scaton. Died Jan 24,1955 the place was Bapchule or Dapchule. Parents Joe E Hayes and Nancy W Hayes. They were farming people. His place of burial is Arlington National.There may have been a book written about him. For sure a movie was made about his life . There was a popular song also in the 1960's. I found this information on the internet.
Posted: 27 May 2001 4:18PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: HAYES, CASH, CURTIS
the song mentioned is called "Ira Hayes", sung by Johnny Cash. you'll find it on his Bitter Tears album. hard to find but not impossible. don't recall the exact title of the movie as many times as i've seen it, but Tony Curtis played Ira.
Posted: 27 May 2001 11:33PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 11:50PM GMT
Surnames: CURTIS, MARVIN, HUIE
john, just consulted my expert on movies and books (my son). the name of the movie about Ira was called "The Outsider" starred Tony Curtis. still don't have title of t.v. versoion with Lee Marving or title of new book. old book published in the 50's was biographical by Willliam Bradford Huie..probably not in print anymore. since it's bio the library may have a copy. will add info when it's available to me.

Ira HAYES

Layne (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2001 7:26AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 11:51PM GMT
This past Sunday May 27,2001 the Fox News cable channel did a story about the famous photograph that included Ira Hayes. They had news film clips of Ira Hayes on a war bonds tour and showed him with his parents. He died at age 32. One item that was mentioned was a letter that he wrote to the mother of another young man that was in the picture (he was later killed in action). Ira Hayes assured her that her son was indeed in the picture (it had been a matter of some dispute).From those in the raising of the flag picture only 3 survived the war.

Are John W. HAYES and Joe E. HAYES brothers?

BEVERLY HAYES (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2001 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 11:54PM GMT
WOULD YOU KNOW IF JOHN WESSLEY HAYES COULD BE THE BROTHER OF JOE E. HAYES?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic