Search for content in message boards

Mayflower Families Research Past the 5th Generation Published

Mayflower Families Research Past the 5th Generation Published

Posted: 17 Apr 2002 10:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 May 2002 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: BARROWS, EATON
I believe my family can be traced thru the book published by the Mayflower Society ..... Mayflower Families Thru 5 Generations ... EATON). Does anyone know if there would be any records for the 6th, 7th generations which the Mayflower Society is collecting? How would I find this out?

If I can prove my line to the Published Fifth Generation book put out by the Mayflower Society do they except the first five generations as already "proved"?

Re: Mayflower Families Research Past the 5th Generation Published

Posted: 17 Apr 2002 11:12PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2004 3:05AM GMT
You asked:

"I believe my family can be traced thru the book published by the Mayflower Society ..... Mayflower Families Thru 5 Generations ... EATON). Does anyone know if there would be any records for the 6th, 7th generations which the Mayflower Society is collecting? How would I find this out?

If I can prove my line to the Published Fifth Generation book put out by the Mayflower Society do they except the first five generations as already "proved"?"

Susan Roser, the historian for the Canadian society, but speaking of procedures for any of the states, has addressed this question at the Canadian Society of Mayflower Descendants website:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~canms/canada.html

First, your second question, whether the first five generations are accepted is answered, "Due to the excellent work of the Five Generations Project of the General Society, and other researchers, all of the Mayflower families (with the exception of some Howland branches) are represented in print for the first four (MFIP) or five (MF) generations, so these early generations are easy to document. If you do not have access to these publications, not to worry, the Historian does."

Second, the matter of generations beyond what is covered in the silver books may be answered by this comment of Susan's if you believe you know your line and are looking for proof. The link for the form is

http://www.mayflower.org/apform.htm

"There is a way to find out if someone else has joined the society based on your line, you can send a synopsis of your lineage to the General Society and ask them to do a search for a well documented paper that matches yours. A synopsis form can be printed from the General Society’s site (where you will also find their address) and should be filled out (Mayflower passenger #1) and sent along with $5 (U.S.). If a previously approved, well documented paper is found, you will be sent a copy, and will be able to use the data & sources from that paper, up to the point where your lines branch off, which means your documentation efforts will begin at this point. If the search proves successful, this could be extremely beneficial and cut down on the number of generations you will have to document."

Posted: 18 Apr 2002 5:33PM GMT
The best way to find if there are any further generations on file with the Mayflower Society is to send a synopsis (form avail at <http://www.mayflower.org>;) with your lineage through you with $5 to the Historian General. Address is on the website. She will check their files and send you a photocopy of the most recent well-documented lineage that follows your line.

To answer your second question: Yes, the data documented in the published Five Generations of the Mayflower Families is recognized as a source, and no futher proof is required.

Ruth M.F. Tucker, Historian
Iowa Mayflower Society

Posted: 8 May 2002 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2003 11:19PM GMT
Surnames: ROGERS, NICKERSON, RAYMOND, HATHAWAY

It would help if The Mayflower Society web site mentioned the $5 fee
on the "Proposed Application Review Form". I sent in a completed form
for my wife's line with a SASE and all I got back was a blank copy of the
same form (still no mention of the $5 dollar fee) and info on joining
the society.

I tossed it in the trash and chaulked up my experience as a waste of time,
stamp and an envelope.

Maybe I'll resubmit now that I know more....

Thank You,

Jim

==============
The best way to find if there are any further generations on file with the Mayflower Society is to send a synopsis (form avail at <http://www.mayflower.org>;) with your lineage through you with $5 to the Historian General. Address is on the website. She will check their files and send you a photocopy of the most recent well-documented lineage that follows your line.

Posted: 8 Aug 2002 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2005 11:48PM GMT
Surnames: Alden, Wheeler, Rudd, Curtis, Packer, Watson
Just curious, Is there a fee for joining the Mayflower society? I've been all over the site looking for info, and can't find anything, including the afore mentioned 5$ for submitting the "Proposed Application Review Form".

Steve

Posted: 9 Aug 2002 12:51AM GMT
Fees for joining the General Society of Mayflower Descendants varies by state as each state sets their own fees for application as well as yearly dues. Go the contact site on the Mayflower site, and check with the state in which you wish to join.

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 11:24PM GMT
Interesting double entendre with the way you spelled "except"/(accept)...it could be used both ways!

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 5:16AM GMT
I was on the website today and the preliminary fee was $20. Where does it say the fee is $5? Cheryl

Posted: 21 Jan 2014 5:11PM GMT
If you look at some of the dates on the posts, you will find they are over 10 years old. The fees were lower then.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions