Search for content in message boards

Gallia County Wootens; Thomas, Elizabeth, Sally, John, Ann, Cinthy and Samuel Wooten

Gallia County Wootens; Thomas, Elizabeth, Sally, John, Ann, Cinthy and Samuel Wooten

Posted: 25 Mar 2000 8:36PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2002 5:29PM GMT

Thomas Wooten, Elizabeth Wooten, Sally Wooten,
John Wooten, Ann Wooten, and Cinthy Wooten
were all married in Gallia County, Ohio
between 1808 and 1830. Samuel Wooten
enlisted for the War of 1812 from Gallia
County.

John and Thomas Wooten were brothers.
Were the others from the same family?

Does anyone know who these people were or
where they came to Gallia County from?

Viajero15@Yahoo.com

WOOTEN and WOOTON also are Melungeons

Posted: 29 Mar 2000 12:51PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 6:37PM GMT
Dear W. Paul Wooten:

After finishing my rather extensive response to Terri, regarding her ten (10)Melungeon Surnames; I noticed your posting of WOOTEN from Gallia County, Ohio, along the Ohio River.

Let this be an addendum to my posting to Terri.

I really should have mentioned in the earlier reply to Terri, that just because a Surname appears on a Melungeon Surname list; ---- this does not necessarily mean that your ancestors with that Surname are Melungeon.

Many families of the same name can be traced directly back, in clear steps, to Suffock County, England, or wherever.

WOOTEN/WOOTON

Lewes WOOTON was one of the 115 Settlers into the 1585/87 Lost Colony of Roanoke Island.

The 1834 to 1838, "Trail of Tears" as orchestrated by our President, Andrew Jackson, may be important.

He wanted to, "clear-out" or "cleanse" his precious eastern Tennessee of these "other peoples". Hence, the US Military rounded-up Cherokees, other Indians and Melungeons for forced marches to Oklahoma.

I have seen one map showing five different routes over several years, not only to Oklahoma, but also to Missouri, to Texas, etc.

Numerous Cherokees, other Native Americans and Melungeons wanted nothing to do with this forced march away from their homes. They feared Reservation Life.

As an alternative, many illegally fled North, and crossed the Ohio River.

They would normally avoid cities and fertile farm land. They ended in places looking like locations from whence they came: Narrow, Flooding Hollars and Narrow, Eroding Ridges. Poor Land that others had rejected.

This is likely the origin of "The Carmel Indians" into Brushcreek Twp of Highland County, Ohio.

Perhaps your WOOTEN/WOTTON folks were among the refugees who escaped from and avoided the, "Trail of Tears".

If there was a time period to check for entering Gallia County, Ohio; check the period of 1832 to 1840. Please let me know what you find.

Sincerely,

Phil Beltz

4370 Lyon Drive
Upper Arlington
Ohio 43220
(614) 442-0644
PhilBeltz@aol.com

Melungeons

Posted: 29 Mar 2000 3:02PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2002 5:29PM GMT
My Wootens arrived in Gallia County one before
1808 and his brother in about 1818, too early
for what you suggest.

However, I did read on a North Carolina Web
Site that there was a soldier by the name of
Wooten who was a guard during the Westward
march to which you refer.

Re: Gallia County Wootens; Thomas, Elizabeth, Sally, John, Ann, Cinthy and Samuel Wooten

Posted: 22 Sep 2002 7:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jun 2003 1:40PM GMT
I thought we must be related....John and Thomas Wooten are my ancestors too. Sybil Toops gave me lots of information too. As I have it John and Thomas father was also John Wooten born in 1742 to a Thomas and Susannah Wooten. Susannah came from Virginia and this Thomas was from North Carolina. E-mail me. Please.

Re: Gallia County Wootens; Thomas, Elizabeth, Sally, John, Ann, Cinthy and Samuel Wooten

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 5:30PM GMT
I've been stuck with these brothers, trying to determine their parents for years....thanks

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 2:52AM GMT
Just saw your message. I believe that your WOOTENS may actually be WOTENS, children of Bell WOTEN. Note the difference in spelling. Bell was in Gallia County about 1810, later moved to Indiana.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions