Search for content in message boards

Wards - (W)VA - Ohio - Illinois

Wards - (W)VA - Ohio - Illinois

Ruthie B (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2001 11:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jul 2001 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: Ward, Talbot, Teter, Teters, Caldwell, Crozier
My mother's WARD family apparently left the Hampshire Co, (W)VA area about 1820 and settled in the Ross Co, OH area for about 30 years. An 1850 Ross Co census identifies John Ward as 67 years old and having been born in Maryland; John's wife, Catherine is listed as 65 and having been born in Virginia. My gg-grandfather Thornton Ward's sisters married into the Talbot, Teeters, Crozier, and Caldwell families in the southern Ohio area ca 1840's. By the 1850's, this particular Ward family had moved on to settle on land in Cumberland Co, IL, where Catherine is listed as a widow on the 1860 IL census. The home that Thornton built along the National Road in Cumberland Co, IL ca 1860 still stands, and our family is currently in the process of having it listed for historical purposes. My 81-yr-old mother would love to know about her g-grandfather's WARD family prior to Ross Co, but it's been difficult for me to get a trace on this elusive John and Catherine Ward.

Re: Wards - (W)VA - Ohio - Illinois

Gary E. Tucker (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2001 8:01PM GMT
I am in possession of a small piece of paper on which the late Eliza (Tucker) (High) Myers wrote the following: "Mary Grace was married to James Ward, a native of Ireland. They lived in Baltimore, Maryland for several years and then moved to Hampshire County, Virginia, now West Virginia. They had 7 children: Eliza, Susan, Sarah J., William, Thomas, and James and John. Susan married Daniel Tucker."

Also: "Mary Grace was the daughter of John Grace and Susan Naylor."

Eliza Myers was born in Hampshire County in 1845 and died at Cowgill, Missouri in 1939. The information, therefore, was written prior to her death because it is in her handwriting.

Susan (Ward) Tucker's tombstone in the Cowgill (Missouri) cemetery says she was born Hampshire County, VA, 4 May 1824; died 28 March 1906. She married Daniel Tucker

Also in the Cowgill cemetery are stones for two of Susan's siblings:

Sarah [known to the Tuckers as "Aunt Sake"] (Ward) Smith, born Hampshire County, WV, 16 February 1831; died 12 August 1909.

James Parsons Ward, b. in Hampshire County, WV, 3 August 1837; died 13 December 1908.

I wonder if this family relates in some way to your line. I have no further information. I know that Daniel Tucker's widow lived in the vicinity of Sector, Hampshire County before moving to Missouri. Whether that area relates to the Ward family I don't know. Thank you, Gary Tucker

Ruthie B (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2001 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: WARD, TALBOT, CROZIER
Gary,

Thank you for this most interesting information. My hunches tell me my Ward line is Irish-- but I come to that suspicion because of the Irish families they marry in to-- certainly nothing else.

My John W. Ward's 1850 Ross Co, OH census says he was born in Maryland. A very elderly great aunt told me once she thought they came from the Baltimore area.

There are so many John Wards and John Ward, Jr.s that it's very hard to determine which is which. I've certainly found John and James Ward in Hampshire Co-- but how the heck do I figure out who is who, even when they're named in will's and estate settlements!?!

The given names in your Ward/Tucker line are those which are carried down through my Ward line, with the exception of Thomas. The name James is given to my gg-grandfather's first son; John is the second. Other sons are named: Abraham Newton, William, and Thornton. Sisters are Mary, Sarah, Nancy, Susan and Elizabeth.

James was born in 1811; Thornton (my gg-grandfather) in 1816.

My search is hampered by the many courthouse burnings, etc, which would have contained the vital records I need to move beyond my Ward brick wall.

Should you find any other scraps of info, I'd sure love to see if they fit into mine... I'm filing your info with thanks.

ruthie b

Charles Harvey (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 3:49AM GMT
Ruthie,
Subscribe to the web site below. It is Mineral Co. WV . Some one might have more on the Ward's. Hampshire Co. WV was formed from Hampshire Co. VA. Them Mineral Co. WV was formed form Hampshire Co. WV. My Ward's comes from what is now Mineral Co. WV . This all I have on them.

WVMINERA-L@rootsweb.com

Descendants of John Ward

Generation No. 1

1. John1 Ward

Children of John Ward are:
2 i. Amelia ( Millie )2 Ward, born 1798; died 1881. She married Gasper Kitzmiller December 13, 1821 in Mineral Co., WV by Rev. William Welch; born 1793 in PA; died July 27, 1857.

More About Amelia ( Millie ) Ward:
Burial: Kitzmiller Cemetery, Sulphur, Mineral Co., WV

More About Gasper Kitzmiller:
Burial: Kitzmiller Cemetery, Sulphur, Mineral Co., WV

3 ii. Keziah Ward. She married Joseph Dixon; born 1769 in Ireland; died October 27, 1878 in Elk Garden, Mineral Co., W. Va..

Notes for Joseph Dixon:
The legend of Joseph "Old Josie" Dixon has achieved a considerable audience through the years, in the past, because of his age believed to have been between 108 and 111 years when he died October 27, l878 in Elk Garden, W. Va. and was buried in Sulphur, W. Va. on the Kitzmiller farm. At his death he had over 300 descendants.

Born in Ireland, he arrived in Baltimore in the 1770's with his father and two or more brothers. Nothing is known of his mother or he fate of his father and brothers after 1800. The senior Dixon and his sons first settled in Belmont County, Ohio, across the Ohio River from Fort Wheeling, but life on the Indian frontier apparently proved to dangerous and they returned briefly to Baltimore before setting out again, this time for Bloomington, Maryland. There Josie met and married Keziah Ward, and they moved to Elk District in 1810. (Elk District in Mineral County, W. Va.)

Josie and Keziah's children and their descendants played important roles in shaping the mountain community. Dixon's held public office at the county and state levels continuously for over 150 years. Josie, himself, is said to have donated the first dollar for the upkeep of the public road through Elk District. He dabbled extensively in real estate and by 1840 he and his sons owned considerable acreage around Elk Garden, West Virginia.

In later years Old Josie enjoyed entertaining his friends and family with tales of his youth. He spent many hours recounting to his children and grandchildren stories of his boyhood in Belmont County, Ohio. Hair-raising tales of night fights to the fort with Indians in pursuit and his descriptions of Indian fighters, Lewis and Joseph Whetsell, provided many of Dixon with nightmare material. Any visitor was welcome at the Dixon's' but Josie required him to leave his tobacco and or Whiskey on the stone wall near the milkhouse, otherwise, he could sleep in the barn. (Because of the distance between neighbors, most visits were overnight.)

4 iii. Elizabeth Ward, born Abt. 1791 in Hampshire Co., VA ( Mineral Co., WV ). She married Zachariah Harvey; born July 11, 1776 in Montgomery Co, MD.

More About Zachariah Harvey:
Census: 1850, Ann Arundle Co, MD

Ruth Blankenbaker (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 12:09PM GMT
Surnames: WARD, TALBOT(t), CROZIER, TETER(s)
Thank you so very much for this information. I truly appreciate your taking the time to give me one more lead on my elusive Wards. I'll follow through with your suggestion for the WVMineral listserv.

Posted: 6 Jun 2007 4:46PM GMT
Do you have any info on Mary Grace parents John Grace and Susan Naylor? Did they have a son named Daniel Grace born in Baltimore Maryland June 1830?

I can not find Daniels parents.

I CAN BE REACHED AT MARK_GRACE@HSBCT.COM

THANKS
per page

Find a board about a specific topic