Search for content in message boards

Frank Joseph Conrad, son of Aquilla Coonrod

Frank Joseph Conrad, son of Aquilla Coonrod

Posted: 23 Aug 2009 10:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Conrad, Coonrod
Looking for more info on ancestors of Aquilla Coonrod, b 1832, Williams Co OH? My gggrandfather (whom I believe was his son) was Frank Joseph Conrad b. 8/3/1856 or 1865 in Bryan, Williams Co, OH. He married Anna O'Neil (b. 1867 in Massachusetts) and they had five sons and one daughter: Edward (1885), William (1887), Mary (1890), Joseph (1893), James (1896) and John (1899). All children were born in IL with the exception of Joseph, who was born in OH. Anna O'Neil Conrad died c. 1903. Frank died in 1921 at the State Soldier's Home in Hot Springs, SD. I have more info on the Conrad children of Frank if anyone would be interested. Please let me know if anyone can corroborate this link between Frank Joseph and Aquilla. Thanks in advance!

Re: Frank Joseph Conrad, son of Aquilla Coonrod

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 11:39AM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2011 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Coonrod, Conrad, Gier, O'Neil, Brummit, Stafford, Hammill
Hello, Cousin!

Aquilla Coonrod (Conrad) b. Williams Co., OH, 1-20-1831, is my gggrandfather. Information in my possession shows he married Susannah Gier (w 1 b. 9-10-1832) on 7-2-1853. They had three children: Nancy Adeline Coonrod b. 7-1-1854; Frank Joseph Coonrod (Conrad) b. 8-3-1856; and Sophia Sylvia Coonrod b. 10-29-1858.

Aquilla Coonrod married a second time on 2-3-1870, to Mary S. Brummit of Murfreesboro, TN. Garland Gerard Coonrod b. 9-21-1876 at Ft. Riley, KS, is the only known son of this union. Garland Gerard Coonrod grew up in Ft. Keogh, MT. He married Jennette Josephine Stafford at Miles City, MT. They had a son, George Stafford Coonrod, born at Ft. Keogh,MT, 4-3-1904.

I show Frank Joseph Coonrod (Conrad) married to Anastasia O'Neil b. 6-2-1863, d. - -1901. Their fifth child, James Patrick Conrad, is my grandfather. Their sixth child is Jack Jennings Conrad b. 10-15-1899. (My father always referred to him as Uncle Jack - I never heard him called John.)

My information lacks son William's birthplace, but shows son Joseph's birthplace as Chicago, IL.

All the information above was lovingly and painstakingly researched and hand-gathered by Ella Hammill of Spearfish, SD, over many years, and self-published in a book called 'The Hammill Family Ancestors and Descendants' sometime in the mid-1970s. This book also includes some pictures, document copies, and first-hand remembrances.

Let me know if this has helped, since it's been over a year since you first posted your request!

Re: Frank Joseph Conrad, son of Aquilla Coonrod

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 11:16PM GMT
Thank you so much for contacting me!

My ggrandfather William A Conrad, born 12/1887 in Chicago, IL was indeed your grandfather's brother. :) I didn't know William but my grandfather, Robert Conrad, told pretty crazy stories about his dad. He was a bit of a drinker (a bootlegger, actually!) and ran a hamburger stand for a while in the early 1900s. Sort of a carnie-type character, I guess. When he died in 1936, he was living under an alias in Missouri somewhere and my grandfather had to go take a train there and claim the body.

Conrad is my mother's surname and there wasn't much info on them so I discovered this all on my own. I found a yellowed old newspaper clipping in my grandmother's things that was an obituary for Frank Joseph Conrad. I then did a ton of research and found the link to Aquilla Coonrod. (You probably know this, but Aquilla has a very distinguished military history and won the Congressional Medal of Honor).

If there are any photos of the Coonrods, can you somehow scan them and send them to me via email or mail? I would love to see them. I don't have any photos beyond William. Also, if you have more information on the family or Anastasia O'Neil too that is very helpful.

Did you hear the stories about Frank Joseph being a musician? My grandfather told my mom Frank played trombone for Sousa but I have no proof of that, but I do see in Frank's military records that he was a musician. Any info on that is appreciated too!

Thanks for contacting me! Tomorrow, I am getting together with my mom, Joyce Conrad Jorgenson and my uncle Jerry Conrad, your second cousins, and I know they will be tickled to hear there is actual family out there!!!!!!

You can email me at jkritzeck@hotmail.com

Jacki Kritzeck
Minneapolis, MN
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions