Search for content in message boards

searching for Francis Marion Crawford

searching for Francis Marion Crawford

Posted: 22 Jul 2000 4:57PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2001 7:29PM GMT
Hi! I am searching for the name and any information on my great-grandfather.He is father to Roscoe Ward Crawford and Stella Crawford. Stella was born Dec. 31,1890 in Ohio. I believe my great-grandfather was named Francis Marion Crawford, but I need to verify this. He was married to Sara Ward, my great-grandmother.They lived in Ohio. I am not sure where they were married. I have found a listing of Sara Ward married to Crawford, and having 2 children, Roscoe and Stella. However my grandfather, Francis A. or Ned A. Crawford was a third offspring. If anybody is connected to this Crawford clan fron Ohio, please contact me. I am trying to trace the Crawford name as far back as I can. Thank You. Amelia Crawford

Ned Crawford

cktaylor (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2000 8:13PM GMT
We are just beginning to search our geneology. I noticed you mentioned a Ned Crawford as an offspring to your gr grandfather. My great grandfather had a brother named Ned. I do not know of them living in Ohio though. Do you have any other sibling names or other places they lived?

Ned A. Crawford

Posted: 25 Jul 2000 11:33PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2001 7:29PM GMT
Hi there. My grandfather Ned A. Crawford, also known as Francis A. Crawford, was born in Ashtabula, OH, 1887. He had a brother named Roscoe and a sister named Stella. Their Mother's name was Sara Ward. I believe all three children were born in Ohio, but not sure. I am trying to find any info on their father, husband to Sara Ward. He "dissapeared" when Ned A. Crawford was 6 or 7 years old. Don't know any more than that. Does any one else? Thanks for the reply. Good luck! Amelia

Francis Marion Crawford

Posted: 14 Oct 2000 1:11PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2003 3:33PM GMT
Hi,
I just thought I'd ask if you had found any information on any Francis Marion Crawford's? My FMC was born in Italy, and I am desperately searching for his offspring and ancestors. I have a wealth of information on my family but cannot get past a few stubborn spots. I am also related to Ward's through my Crawford's. Strange, huh? I don't think there is a connection with us, but thought you may have dug something up related to my family.

Thank you and happy hunting!
Dawn

Francis Marion Crawford

Posted: 31 Jan 2001 1:20PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 1:43AM GMT
My grandfather was Francis Marion Crawford. He was born in Palo Pinto Co, Tx in 1860. He married Sara Elizabeth Stall in Cedar Co. Mo. His fathers name was William Crawford born Mar 1819. If anyone has any information, please email me.

Re: searching for Francis Marion Crawford

Posted: 1 Jul 2001 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crawford
I have only just joined the rootsweb system and found your message. One of my ancestors is Marion Crawford, and he was referred to in one census as FM Crawford. This person was born in 1849 in TN (I believe Rutherford Co) and was a sibling of my ggrandfather, William P Crawford. At the moment I have no other info on this Marion Crawford, but I am searching for birth info on their father: William (C?) Crawford, b~1813/14, possibly to David and Elizabeth Crawford.

I hope to hear from you.

Re: Francis Marion Crawford

Posted: 3 Jul 2001 4:25AM GMT
Coincidentally, one of the siblings of my ggrandfather was named Marion Crawford, on at least one census listed as "FM Crawford", said to be "Francis Marion Crawford". This FM Crawford was born ~1849 in TN and his father was William Crawford, born ~1813/14 in either TN or VA. Is there some common ancestor here from which the "Francis Marion" name came from?

Hope to hear from you, Jan Peterson
jlpeterson@go.com

Posted: 6 Jul 2001 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Marion, Crawford
I do not think that there is a connection with our Francis Marion Crawford's (FMC).

My FMC was named for his 2x great-uncle General Francis Marion (GFM), AKA the "Swamp Fox."

I am finding that there are many Francis Marion's, named for this Swamp Fox. GFM was very popular during and after the Revolutionary War. (Have you seen the recent movie "The Patriot"? This movie was based on three historical characters, one of them being GFM.)

More than likely, if your FMC was born in or around the 1800s, he was named after GFM, but not because of a family relation, most likely only because of his popularity. Or possibly another relative alive about the time of the Revolution was named for GFM and your FMC was named after him. It's just like the problem with all of the George Washington's.

I just happen to have a Francis Marion actually related to the General. There are other Francis Marion's in my family, but only one with the Surname CRAWFORD. If you think you have a connection, let me know, I do have geneaologies that link to GFM.

Regards,
Dawn Crawford

Frank Young (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2003 4:55AM GMT
I have some data on most of the families in your lines: Marion, Mitchell, Cutler, Ward, Greene, Ray, Crawford, Berdan, and others. Francis Marion Crawford, the novelist, had two sons, Harold, the father of Howard Marion Crawford, the actor, and Bertram (Bertie), who married a Stanhope and has descendants.

Regards, Frank Young

Dawn Crawford (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2003 4:11PM GMT
Frank,

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't even know where to start asking questions, so if you could supply whatever info it is that you have, I'd greatly appreciate it. If it's not too much trouble, please cite your sources so that I may find the copies.

Please do share what ever you may have. You may also email me directly at Dawn_Crawford@ci.long-beach.ca.us

Thank you so very much. I haven't heard from anyone in such a long time about this family.

With warm regards,
Dawn Crawford
per page

Find a board about a specific topic