Search for content in message boards

BAYOU SALLE, Burial Place of Mildred Splane

BAYOU SALLE, Burial Place of Mildred Splane

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 2:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SPLANE
From the bible of Alexander Rigby Splane who was an attorney in Franklin, the following entry was found:
Mildred Splane died at Franklin Aug 19, 1834. She was the kind & lovely & affectionate mother of A. R. Splane - Buried on Bayou Salle', the spot which will be revered by all those who cherish virtue, purity and ?. Mildred Rigby Splane was my 4th great grandmother. Do you know if there is a marker? Thanks.
Charlotte Tucker

Re: BAYOU SALLE, Burial Place of Mildred Splane

Posted: 21 Jul 2011 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Kemper, Splane
If Mildred Splane is buried in Bayou Sale, she must be in South Bend Cemetery. Her son was married to Jane Kemper whose father, Nathan Kemper, owned a plantation on lower Bayou Sale now known as Ellerslie.

South Bend was the only cemetery in the area at that time and was used by all the local families. There were ministers living in Bayou Sale and church services were held in their homes when travel to town on Sunday was not practical. They also officiated at funerals and marriages when necessary, but no records have been located for many of those religious rites. Civil marriages can be found in the St. Mary Parish Court House and religious records are found, for the most part, at the Episcopal Church in Franklin.

There are no markers remaining in the cemetery, so we cannot prove her burial there, but it is the most logical location.

These are the records I have on file for Splane:

Splane, Alexander R. married 12 Oct 1830 Kemper, Jane (b 1818), daughter of Nathan and Nancy Kemper [St Mary Parish Marriage #27]

Splane, Alexander R. d 28 Aug 1851 at age 48 years [St Mary’s Episcopal Church V 1 p 218] Succession opened 1 Oct 1851 [St Mary Parish Succ #746]

Children of Alexander R. Splane & Jane Kemper whose baptism is recorded at St Mary’s Episcopal Church, Franklin, LA:

Randolph Peyton b 4 Feb 1834
Alexander Rigby b 26 Jul 1836
Nathan Kemper b ca 1839 died Apr 1849 aged 10 years
Benjamin Rush b 6 Jun 1841
John B. b 30 Jan 1845

Posted: 21 Jul 2011 5:50PM GMT
Thanks, Margie, for the time it took for this reply to my query. Some of the info I knew; a lot I didn't.
Again, I sincerely appreciate your information.
Charlotte

Posted: 21 Jul 2011 6:01PM GMT
Alexander R., Jane Kemper Splane and ther son, Nathan Kemper Splane are buried in the Franklin Cemetery. You probably know this already, but thought I would post the information for others who may not be aware of it.

Margie

Posted: 21 Jul 2011 6:48PM GMT
Yes, I had that bit of info, but it's always good to have it confirmed. I've been researching this family since 1971 and it's been difficult. They were in Spanish West Florida records, then Amite Co., MS, and Feliciana and St. Helena Parishes, LA. One of Alexander's brothers, died in Ouachita Parish; two of them came to TX. I would be happy to share with anyone interested in the Splanes.
Thanks, again.
Charlotte

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: Splane, Randolph, Kemper
Dear Charlotte, I so appreciate your message about Mildred Rigby Splane and others of the family.I, Peyton Edwards Splane, III am the 4th great grandson of Mildred Rigby and Thomas Splane. I am thrilled to know she was buried at Bayou Salle. People on the web had her burial place anywhere from Va. to In. I can tell you that the first Peyton Randolph Splane migrated to Texas and laid claim to as much as 7000 acres of land.He was a Captain in the Texas Revolutionary Army and fought at the Battle of San Jacinto.He had married a Lacy before leaving for Texas with his brothers. He died in Texas. The second Peyton Randolph Splane, son of Alexander Rigby Splane and Jane Kemper entered the U. S. MIlitary Academy at West Point in 1849 at age 16! He stayed two years and left due to illness and was faced with the death of both parents and died in 1854.Iam particularly interested in the parents of Thomas and Mildred Splane.I understand Thomas's mother was a Randolph, hence the family name.I believe that Thomas's father came from Cork, Ireland and was named William . The last info. I find on him is that he was a lieutenant of horse in the Va. Colonial Militia in !756 in Prince William Co. I have a lot more info.. By the way,Do you have a copy of our family bible. My late uncle gave that bible to someone. I am interested only in copies of the genealogical info. Would be most grateful. Sincerely, Peyton Splane 106 Canterbury Place, Ridgeland, MS.39157

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 8:32PM GMT
Peyton -- How nice to hear from you! I've been researching this family since I began genealogy as a hobby in 1971. At that time, I was the ONLY one searching for them!

I, too, have quite a bit of info on the family by this time and will be happy to compare notes with you. About ten years ago, I located another descendant and he was very generous in sharing his information; between the two of us, I believe we have about the most complete record available. However, I'm knee-deep in two other commitments at the moment and I will have to put your request on the bottom of that stack. I'm sorry about it, and if I didn't have to fulfill these other promises, I would jump right into my Splane notebooks. I keep hard copies of everything and usually don't enter anything into my Family Tree Maker software until I feel that the information is pretty reliable.

By the way, the information on Mildred's burial was provided to me in 1973 from Ruth (Mrs. Peyton) Splane of McMinnville, TN. "From the Bible of Alexander Rigby Splane [Bot. of Revd. O. L. Nash for $6 - 1830 " this from title page. Under Deaths: "Mildred Splane died at Franklin, Louisiana Aug 19 1834. She was the kind & lovely & affectionate mother of A. R. Splane - Buried on Bayou Salle the spot which will be revered by all those who cherish virtue, purity & ___(?)"

Keep in touch and send me a reminder if you don't hear from me in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Charlotte

P. S. I descend from Thomas Machen Splane, brother of Alexander and Peyton.

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 10:48PM GMT
Thanks for responding. Mrs. Peyton Splane is my mother, deceased in 2004.She has been doing informal research on the Splanes ever since I can remember. Wish she were still here; could be a great deal of help.My sister, Catherine Splane has all the letters and documents that my Mother had and refuses to share: a long standing family feud. Thanks, Peyton Splane

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 5:29PM GMT
Peyton -- I finally finished (or nearly) my other commitment and will try to round out some of my Splane research for you.

I began this search with only one name - my maternal gg grandmother, Margaret Splane who married Thomas Jenkins, Washington Co., TX, 10 Dec 1843. An elderly great-aunt had written the names in a Bible then in the possession of an aunt. I had never heard of the surname Splane and had no idea the difficulty I would have in searching for it.

Eventually, I found her parents were Thomas Machen and Margaret Vick Splane, who entered TX intent on being colonists in this new land. They carried a letter of introduction to "Mr. S. F. Austin, Empressario" stating, "Thomas M. Splanne(sic), 39 years of age, Margaret, my wife, 35 years of age, 2 male and 4 female children, moved from KY and arrived in this colony in 1831." Copy provided by the General Land Office, Austin, TX.

Yes, Thomas had a brother Peyton R. Splane, who also came to TX, perhaps as early as 1827. I have quite a bit of information on him and can share that later if you're interested in filling in all branches of the family. Anyway, I found the first records of him in St. Helena Parish. His first wife was Ann (one researcher adds first name of Sarah, but I have not confirmed that) Flanekin/Flanikin/Flanagan, daughter of Hugh and Sarah Lee Flanikin,/etc./etc. Don't know when this first wife died, but his marriage to Susan Lacy is recorded in St. Mary Parish 3 Aug 1824. I assume that at the death of Ann, he moved to St. Mary where his brother Alexander Rigby was living. Susan's succesion was recorded Franklin CH, #148, dated 4 Feb 1826.

He probably moved to the new TX frontier shortly after this date. There was no letter of introduction on file (letter to me from GLO, 17 Apr 1973), but he was listed in Setephen F. Austin's Register of Families. That listing showed him 32 years of age and from LA (1795 + 32 = 1827). I can't read Spanish, but was told that this register said he had 1 child (I later found that her name was Sallie - I'm not sure she survived childhood because I found no further record of her) and total of 6 dependants. He probably met and later married Ann D. W. (no maiden name known) in TX. For a while he lived in Brazoria Co. Ann D. W. Splane married Solomon C. Page in Harris Co., 1841; assume Peyton deceased by then.

That accounts for two of Thomas and Mildred's sons. You obviously have the information concerning a third one, Alexander Rigby, of St. Mary Parish.

There was another son, William, b 27 Jul 1792. I had very little on William other than information recorded on him in Amite Co., MS. But, about 10 or so years ago, I was so fortunate to find a descendant of his who has done extensive, dedicated research on the Splanes and who graciously shared that research with me. I can share more with you later, but just wanted to say how astonished I was when I found that at least three of William's daughters also later migrated to TX and settled not far from where I was born!!! It's a small world, indeed. More on that, too, later if you're interested.

Backing up to my original pursuit of the family, ca 1973, I found Thomas Splane listed in a DAR register. Wrote the National Hdqtrs. and received a copy of the application of Mary Marsden Togus of NH, a descendant of Alexander Rigby Splane. A list of the Splane children was attached - giving full names and birthdates. A note stated that she copied these from "the Splane Family Bible, Arlington Plantation, Washington, LA." I eventually made a trip there, had a nice, nice visit with the Oliviers, including a tour of the home. They had restored it beautifully. They, of course, knew that it had been the home of Benjamin Rush Splane, but knew of none of his family that might still live in the area.

I can't remember how I decided on concentrate on Franklin. Since I had used the technique many times, I probably wrote the Chamber of Commerce there asking if there were any Splanes still in the area. (Side note - until the intro of the computer into genealogists' lives, everything had to be done by mail, library research, or telephone. All these methods were slow in producing results!) Anyway, I found the address for Beverly and wrote.

Sorry, Peyton, but I have to take a break before I can finish this. Will pick up here later today or again on Thursday.

If you will send me your email address, I will attempt to scan and forward two letters - one from B.(everly) R. Splane, of Franklin, LA, dated 4 Dec 1972, and the other from Ruth F. Splane (your mother, I assume).

Regards,

Charlotte

Posted: 7 Jun 2012 5:45PM GMT
Will pick up here from the earlier message.

It's likely that the Franklin COC gave me the address of
B(everly) R. Splane from the local phone book. A letter from him dated Dec 1972 (this is one I said I would scan if I receive your email address) gave a little information and provided me with the McMinnville, TN address of his brother, and your mother, Ruth, replied to my inquiry a little later, 6 Feb 1973 (the other one to scan). She included a typed copy of "a newspaper clipping found in Bible - (no date)" which revealed quite a bit about the earlier family.

Because of the historical connections to the names of the children of Thomas and Mildred Rigby Splane, I suspected that these surnames might lead me to more information in VA. I, personally, didn't have much success because I had to make all my inquiries by mail, and at that time Clayton Library in Houston (my residence was nearby) had only one or two books on Prince Wm. Co., and they were not helpful in tying the surname Splane to any others.

I put these Splane and Ribgy families away for several years, but about 10-12 years ago, I received an email from a descendant of William Splane; he had been searching only a short time, but had found more instances recorded in VA that would tie William Splane (believed to be the father of our Revolutionary War Veteran, Thomas) to the Randolphs. He very generously offered to share his information and we corresponded back and forth over the period of 2-3 years. I will share the emails with you if I saved them, however, would prefer to forward them to your regular email address if you will provide that.

So, I will stop here and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Charlotte
per page

Find a board about a specific topic