Search for content in message boards

John Andrew McMillan/Marion McLymont

John Andrew McMillan/Marion McLymont

Betty McMillan Gregory (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2000 5:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Feb 2012 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: mcmillan, mclymont
My grandfather, John Andrew McMillan, was born in Scotland and settled in Ashe County N. C. before l800. Am looking for information about him and his wife.
Many thanks

John and Marion came to NC

Travis McMillan (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2000 9:51AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2012 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: mcmillan
Hi, Betty

I am also a descendant of John and Marion McMillan. He is my ggggg grandfather. My gg grandfather Andrew Jackson McMillan left Allegheny county, NC in the 1880's and headed out West to Colorado. My family still lives in Colorado.

I found Claude E. Wells (Cwells4944@aol.com) to be well informed about John and Marion. He was also in contact with a geneologist in Scotland trying to find their parents. Perhaps if you have cousins in Ashe County you know some of the stories that have been passed down about John and Marion. How Marion and John eloped to America, how Marion went to the beds of her family members the night they left, put a candle to up to their faces so she could see them one more time before she left.

I was amazed to hear that those stories have survived for two hundred years.

Anyways, I hope I haven't missed you. YOu are heading to Scotland quite soon, I understand.

If you know any other McMillan lore, please let me know. It puts leaves on our family tree.

John and Marion came to NC

Travis McMillan (View posts)
Posted: 11 May 2000 9:51AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2012 9:09PM GMT
Surnames: mcmillan
Hi, Betty

I am also a descendant of John and Marion McMillan. He is my ggggg grandfather. My gg grandfather Andrew Jackson McMillan left Allegheny county, NC in the 1880's and headed out West to Colorado. My family still lives in Colorado.

I found Claude E. Wells (Cwells4944@aol.com) to be well informed about John and Marion. He was also in contact with a geneologist in Scotland trying to find their parents. Perhaps if you have cousins in Ashe County you know some of the stories that have been passed down about John and Marion. How Marion and John eloped to America, how Marion went to the beds of her family members the night they left, put a candle to up to their faces so she could see them one more time before she left.

I was amazed to hear that those stories have survived for two hundred years.

Anyways, I hope I haven't missed you. YOu are heading to Scotland quite soon, I understand.

If you know any other McMillan lore, please let me know. It puts leaves on our family tree.

McMillan Family of Wilkes/Ashe County, NC

Claude Wells (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2000 6:36AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2012 9:11PM GMT
Surnames: mcmillan, wells
Betty,

Contact me by email, you will find it at my users page on Family Tree Maker. I have reports posted there on my family ancestors, including the McMillan's. I to am descendant from john and Marion on my mothers side of the family. My line comes down from John to Andrew to Andrew to James Emory to William Granville to Margaret Elizabeth to me. The url for my users page is: http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/w/e/l/Claude-E-Wells/ please feel free to review and use any info that can give you solid clues for tracing the family. And feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I have been contacted by many descendants of john and Marion and some have been very generious with their info. I am not sure where you live, but there is a lady in Grayson County, VA, also a descendant of John and marion who has the family bible from John and Marion. She is active with the historical society there and her daughter has what is reportedly the trunk John and Marion used when they came to America. They ladies last name is Wells, ironically enough but I believe from a different branch of the family than mine the Wells' were all over the place like rabbits in the early settlement of the colonies and VA especially. Also if you do a search for emails check for Barara Rio in VA she is a great source of data and verified info. I do not have her email address, my system crashed several times and I have lost her email address, I believe if you check for Rio in VA you can find her in Faitfax I believe.

Good Luck and please contact me!

Claude

Re: John and Marion came to NC

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 6:40AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2012 9:10PM GMT
Surnames: mcmillan, vaughan
looking for info on William R Mcmillan who was born in NC and came to Georgia in 1851 whre he married Permelia Vaughan. Any info appreciated.....

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 7:17PM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2012 9:08PM GMT
Surnames: mcmillan, fields, justice
I am in Assisted Living Care Home and I try to please many of the people as I can.

There is one lady here and she hasn't told me her age but it is still increasing. She would like to know more about her family and she told me that she thought she was descendant from John and Marion MacMillan. That they had a son, Andrew and that he was born 17 March 1795 in Ashe County, North Carolina. Andrew married Jennie Fields but she didn't live long and he married Ludena Justice.

I know she would like to know about her family and Scotland.

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 5:40PM GMT
I do not have any information on J

Sorry. ohn and Marion McMillan.

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 4:45PM GMT
I just came across this posting and can only add what I have on the McMillan family is posted on my webage which i have not to been ablt to adjust in recent years, the passing of my mother and the recent passing of my father, my name is Claude E Wells, my page iis :
www.genealogy.com/users/wmemlmClaude-E-Wells/index.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions