Search for content in message boards

Sarah Rowland

Sarah Rowland

Posted: 9 Feb 2008 1:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm a descendant of Sarah Rowland & William Buckman. While researching her ancestry, I ran into quite an interesting dilemna...everyone's family trees put her parents as Thomas & Priscilla, but so far I've found several Bucks county references stating that Priscilla's husband was John, who had a brother Thomas, and they all came over on the Welcome.
Any thoughts?
Thanx, Mary

Re: Sarah Rowland

Posted: 9 Feb 2008 8:38PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2008 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Rowland
Documents from early Quaker records would seem to prove Priscilla Shephard m. John Rowland and not Thomas Rowland, his brother John.

Registry of Arrivals for Bucks Co., PA
"John Rowland, wife Priscilla, brother Thomas, of Sussex."

Source: MINUTE BOOK "H" MINUTES OF PROPERTY BEGINNING 9TH DAY OF THE SECOND MONTH, 1712. THIS IS BOOK "H." IN THE SECRETARIES OFFICE. The 13th 6 mo., 1714....

"Signed a War'rt to Jeremia Langhorne for 500 a's in Right of John Rowland and Priscilla his Wife (formerly Shepherd), and of Tho. Rowland, being the Remainder of all their Three Purchases, besides an addition purchased of the Comm'rs by the s'd Jno. Rowland to make up the said 500 a's, he having sold so much more than the said Purchase; dated this day (dat. 26, 5 mo)."

Passengers on the Welcome, pg. 249.
John Rowland and Priscilla,his wife, of Billinghurst, Sussex, first purchaser.
Thomas Rowland, Billinghurst, Sussex, first purchaser.

The wording in some records may be what caused confusion for some researchers. Minute Book H- "... Signed a Patent to Charles Brockden for 500 acres in Hill Town, in Bucks County, in Right of John and Thomas Rowland and Priscilla Shepard...dated ye 9th of ye 2 mo., 1712."

Below is an example of an oft-cited source which is now thought to be in error. Why? None of the official Quaker records suggest Priscilla m. Thomas.

THE HISTORY OF BUCKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, (1682 from the discovery of the Delaware to the present time), by W. W. H. Davis, A .M., Doylestown, PA, 1876.
"Of the Welcome passengers, who settled in Bucks, we are able to name the following: THOMAS ROWLAND, of Billinghurst, in Sussex, husbandman, with his wife Priscilla".

If you have an ancestry.com subscription, you can check out the many PA sources there to decide for yourself who Priscilla married. Look for the official (Quaker) records.

I would love to share info with anyone trying to make connections between the Rowland brothers who sailed with Penn and any Rowlands in VA ca. 1740+.

Joanne

Posted: 10 Feb 2008 12:48AM GMT
Thanx for the info!

Does anyone have any info on John Rowland or Priscilla Shepherd's ancestors? I also have some Rowland that lived in CT, but none in VA.
Thanx again.
Mary

Posted: 13 Feb 2008 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: Rowland
Mary,

Don't know why, but when I read your query re. Sarah Rowland, I thought you were referring to a Virginian... It wasn't until I reviewed your posting that I realized you meant the Sarah who, with her husband William Buckman, of Ballinghurst, Sussex, is among those who are thought to have come with Wm Penn on the ship Welcome.

Do you have the research that indicates Sarah Buckman was a Rowland, and probably related to the Rowland brothers, Thomas and John. I remember seeing something about this, but can't find in in my files.

Best bet for info about those who came with Penn is probably going to be in the Quaker Minute Books. They kept all records --for Friends and friends of Friends-- including land purchases, deed, wills, etc. ancestry.com is one possible source.

Joanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic